Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    Most everyone on this forum has purchased firearms using
    FFL's and private sales. Has anyone ever purchased a firearm
    from a FFL that the 4473 form you filled out was NOT called in or
    E-Checked (on-line) by the dealer while you were present?

This is not a witch-hunt guys, but someone I know had this
    happen. Kind of leaves an empty feeling in your gut not knowing
    if he did a legal transaction. :dunno:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Catch - 22 ain't it?

I'm all for off the record face-to-face sales.

I'm also all for following the law, even if that law is, arguably, unconstitutional. We must either change the law or follow it, in my opinion.

Being that it's the law that the 4473 MUST be called in / gone over by the proper authority (FBI?), and wasn't, this dealer wasn't following the law. And I think he needs called on it.

If it would've happened to me, I'd not have taken the firearm. I KNOW that my form would've gone through. Still wouldn't have taken it.

I would also weigh calling the proper authorities and letting them know that this dealer isn't following the law. If he's willing to forgo a simple little phone call on a 4473, what else might they be slacking on?

-J-

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Short answere....is no.
    IANAL. or FFL holder, But I thought a 4473 had to be called in prior to the release of a firearm from a FFL

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    It does have to be called in/e-checked before we can let you leave with the firearm. I mean, that's just common knowledge. It's just plain stupid to let someone leave with the firearm prior to doing the simple (takes less than 5 minutes, usually) check. In fact, the FBI gives us NICS transaction numbers when we call in background checks and that number goes on the dealer portion of the Form 4473. If we do it online, which I prefer, we print out the information we typed in and it has the exact time of day along with the date of when the check was submitted. It's a really simple task. It takes a while to get your FFL and it isn't that easy. I can't imagine not running the background check prior to releasing the firearm. Sounds like that FFL might be mildly insane...and looking to go to prison.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    This is what happened to the Bristol dealer last year, he sold an item at a gun show had the 4473 filled out and he was or did call it in on Monday or Tuesday. In the mean time the guy used it to shoot a police officer. Needless to say it was a 1 in a millin chance but the Bristol dealer I believe is doing some time over this

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    This is what happened to the Bristol dealer last year, he sold an item at a gun show had the 4473 filled out and he was or did call it in on Monday or Tuesday. In the mean time the guy used it to shoot a police officer. Needless to say it was a 1 in a millin chance but the Bristol dealer I believe is doing some time over this
    the funny thing about this, is its possible even if he had called it in, the guy had a previously clean record and the transaction passed and it wouldnt have changed anything.

i have no idea if the guy your talking about had a clean record or not. niether am i saying it was ok to not call it in. im just saying it may have not made a difference. i think the shooter alone should be the one held responsible.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    the funny thing about this, is its possible even if he had called it in, the guy had a previously clean record and the transaction passed and it wouldnt have changed anything.

i have no idea if the guy your talking about had a clean record or not. niether am i saying it was ok to not call it in. im just saying it may have not made a difference. i think the shooter alone should be the one held responsible.

this

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I'm saying this happened , the dealer should have known better, and if he had followed the rules he would still have his business.
    In the case of the BATF&E you need to follow the law .... or else

Top Bottom