• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Some chrono data from today's range trip for those interested, and a tidbit the chrono clued me into about our "new" Security Six. Ruger cylinders have an "S" on them next to one of the charge holes, at least most of the ones I can remember using. When chronographing or target shooting for groups, I always fire the cylinder after that "S" first. Chrono clued me in to the fact that for whatever reason, that cylinder always gives markedly lower velocities. Don't know why that would be. When it's a little warmer out, I'll take her out to benchrest some groups and see if I can notice it shooting to a markedly different point of aim. Didn't appear to be doing so to any remarkable degree while shooting offhand today.

Two .45 ACP loads, from RIA 1911. I used a trickle charger to to fine tune the powder charge for these loads, just to see if it made a difference. It does. The velocities are more consistent, and accuracy appeared to be quite nice, though today was honestly not the day to be evaluating accuracy. It takes about twice as long to charge each case, though, and using just the powder measure does OK. Still, unless I'm in a hurry I think I'll start doing this for most of my loads. I've always done it for loads I intended to carry, nice to know the extra work makes a little extra difference.
    .45 ACP 230 gr FMJ, 4.6 gr Titegroup
    1 = 794
    2 = 793
    3 = 799
    4 = 806
    5 = 798
    Avg = 798

.45 ACP 230 gr FMJ, 5 gr Bullseye
    1 = 807
    2 = 830
    3 = 823
    4 = 834
    5 = 789
    Avg = 817

.357 Magnum 125gr Hornady XTP JHP, 7 gr W231. This was four spare rounds I had, so decided to chrono them. The other 36 are sitting in my gun, speed loaders, and speed strips, since it's my carry load for the time being. Something interesting to me is that these velocities are almost exactly what I got with them from a 3" SP101 and slower than from a 4" Security Six when I chrono'd them in the summer time. I'm going to develope a load around 1150-1250 fps using Titegroup. It doesn't display nearly the same kind of temperature variation. I developed this load to give me a round I could easily control in defensive situations in the little SP101. From this six inch Security Six it's like shooting +Ps. Accurate, too.
    1 = 1038
    2 = 1087
    3 = 1078
    4 = 1076
    Avg = 1070

.357 Magnum 110 gr Remington SJHP, 9gr W231. This one is a reminder why you need to crossreference reloading data, and don't trust data that seems out of line with others. Most data I was looking at put about 8.8 gr as max. The Lyman Pistol & Revolver manual listed 8.9 rounds as a starting load, but loaded to an OAL of 1.590" instead of 1.540" in the other sources. The 9 grains I loaded should have, according to Lyman, been a mild load producing about 1150 fps. Not so much. Out of 50 rounds, 3 primers looked slightly flattened (though no more so than ALL the primes form the Fiochi factory ammo I was firing), one case stuck slightly, and the velocities are well above what Lyman predicted. I'm pulling the rest of the bullets I have loaded. If I'm seeing pressure warning signs at this temp with W231, I'm not about to find out what happens if I try shooting it when it warms up. It displayed some vertical stringing, also. It was quite controllable, if I can get a load with Titegroup giving close to these velocities I'll have a new carry load for this gun.
    1 = 1398
    2 = 1511
    3 = 1476
    4 = 1447
    5 = 1477
    6 = 1469
    Avg = 1463

.38 Special 110gr Remington SJHP, 4.7 gr Titegroup
    1 = 915
    2 = 996
    3 = 999
    4 = 1025
    5 =1029
    6 = 1012
    Avg = 996

.38 Special 158gr cast, 3.3 gr (.3cc Lee Dipper) Titegroup. I knew this load would be a winner. 3.4gr of Titegroup under a 158gr cast bullet has been my favorite target load for a while. Always produces wonderful accuracy. This was a 3.3gr load because I was using a .3 cc Lee Dipper, and that's the charge the dipper threw. As a bonus, it juuuuust makes minor power for IPSC, so I've got a heck of an accurate load for games. If I can get a load this accurate with a little more velocity, I'll use lead SWC HPs and carry it in my snubby when I pay it off. Love shooting the groups this load gives. For a new shooter, or someone who HATES noise and recoil, this is a good load if you don't have wadcutters handy. Even out of my old SP101 this was a *****cat. Out of a six inch Security Six, it's barely more than shooting a .22.
    1 = 769
    2 = 801
    3 = 780
    4 = 815
    5 = 786
    6 = 801
    Avg = 792

A target with some of the loads, shot off hand:
    Top left = .45 ACP with the Titegroup, 7 yards
    Top right = .38 Special 158gr cast with Titegroup, single action, 7 yards
    Bottom right = .38 Special 110 SJHP with Titegroup, double action, 7 yards
    Bottom left = .357 Magnum 110gr SJHP with W231, double action, 7 yards. The bottom three rounds were "throwaway" rounds.
    Center = .357 Magnum 110gr SJHP with W231. Single action, 25 yards.
    Shooting2-7-10014.jpg

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    What distance was the chrony from the gun? I've noticed higher Std. Dev. the closer I have the chrony to the gun. With pistol I get best results at about 10-15'. Any closer and particles and gases from the muzzle blast throw off the spread. I have to increase that distance for rifle.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    What distance was the chrony from the gun? I've noticed higher Std. Dev. the closer I have the chrony to the gun. With pistol I get best results at about 10-15'. Any closer and particles and gases from the muzzle blast throw off the spread. I have to increase that distance for rifle.

I always set it at 10', so that I have consistent results from one trip to the next. Would try 15 feet, but then gotta squint to read the numbers cause we're too cheap to buy the little remote readout you can add LOL.

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Is it imperative to have a chrony when working up reloads?

I've been going by the book and consulting with other reloaders.

Super38

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Super38

I did that for an awful long time. You miss out on a lot of info, though. Cathy bought me mine for an anniversary present, and it was money very well spent. I've become convinced a chronograph is necessary for best results, especially if you want to load anything besides medium loads. Too hot, too mild, both can be problems.

What's in the books is rarely what I see out of my guns.

A chronograph doesn't have to be terribly pricey. Ours was around $100. It does absolutely nothing besides tell you the velocity of each shot, but you can buy add ons if you decide you want more down the road.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Super38

Imperative? No. Especially if you are wanting to just reload plinking ammo and are staying well within safe ranges.

A chrony will give you data, what you do with that data is entirely up to you. If you want to try to reload precision ammunition then a chrony will greatly aid that. If you want consistent ammo then a chrony will help isolate variables.

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Right now I compete (USPSA / IDPA) and have been using factory ammo but this year I will be using my reloads, so the loads need to reliable and somewhat accurate.

Super38

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I don't know how you can load good ammo w.o a chrono.

example, I was building up a .45 load for uspsa and found that 0.010" shorter oal reduced the velocity std.dev from around 40 fps to around 8. You cannot know that by looking at tables in a book.

Also, seldom does a book have the exact load you are looking for (exact bullet/primers/etc). In fact, I have multiple books and the tables are different in all of them. They are good starting points but to know what's safe in your gun or how your load is performing is a guess. I have seen velocity variations of over 100fps from book to chrono even for slow .45.

If you compete, you have to know how your load works from 0 degrees to 110 degrees to make sure your load is 1) safe and 2) legal. Some powders even slow as temp increases; you could "go minor" or end up shooting for no score if you don't have valid velocity data over temp.

super38, As far as consulting with other competitors, well every gun is different... When starting a new load, verify verify verify. I got a couple of my loads from other competitors and even a gun builder. Do some research on line to make sure it makes sense. Check multiple tables to make sure it makes sense. And drop the charge significantly and work up to the recommended charge checking for signs of excess pressure as you go.

just my 2c.

-rvb

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Joe, that 158gr 38spl load is the one i've been using since i first started, and I agree, it's dead on! i've experimented with variations on it for different guns, but it's my favorite, hands down.

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010

Super38

super38, As far as consulting with other competitors, well every gun is different... When starting a new load, verify verify verify. I got a couple of my loads from other competitors and even a gun builder. Do some research on line to make sure it makes sense. Check multiple tables to make sure it makes sense. And drop the charge significantly and work up to the recommended charge checking for signs of excess pressure as you go.

just my 2c.

-rvb

I do! I would never take any one person's word for a load. I did that once - from the Lee manual. It was a hot load.

I wouldn't consider loading unless I have at least two reliable sources.

Thanks for the .02 ;)

Super38

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I do! I would never take any one person's word for a load. I did that once - from the Lee manual. It was a hot load.

I wouldn't consider loading unless I have at least two reliable sources.

Thanks for the .02 ;)

Super38

Sorry, maybe my point wasn't clear...
    you done good verifying a load makes sense before starting your load development... now, imo, you NEED a chrono to make sure it meets PF (in different weather) and to make sure it's as quality a round as possible.

I didn't mean "verify multple sources, possibly including a chrono"... I meant "verify multiple sources, THEN chrono."

Sorry I wrote it so poorly (was hurrying).

-rvb

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Thanks Joe Williams for the good post and info. My first reloading manual was Speer#9 about 1975. In it was an article where the Speer Lab took all 25 or so .357 handguns and chronographed the 125, 140 and158gr. Speer factory loads. What a difference between even the same model gun and barrel length. Loading data velocity and what one gets in THEIR gun will always be different,according to Speer.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I am new to this web site and have been reloading about 1 1/2 years now. I do not have a chronograph and have had it on the "to get list for quite a while. However I have made many mistakes and have had to tear down many rounds. But the most valuable information that I got from doing this (without any guidance, not because I didn't want any- too many would not help). I learned about where the brass should land from a reload. I learned how dirty cheap factory ammo or even some expensive ammo, I learned that difference books have different loads and that isn't reliable either. So to sum up I have learned many things that now I believe a chronograph would help with. Many Many times I have to adjust fire just because of wind or other conditions. I found I really like the feeling I get from using Magnum Small Pistol primers on even 380's. I am by not any means of the word an expert or experienced but novice is a good place to start for me. I started using different powders and found the results confusing because AA9 takes more powder and titegroup is so little. Clays is ok for 45 and for 12 gauge. So it looks to me if you find a good deal on 8lb of clays and want to shoot 45 its a go. The USMC use VV340 for 45 championship match and I have tried it and found the results to be similar to bullseye and titegroup. So Its all fun and like a very interesting hobby for me (just the reloading) I load bullet for weapons I don't even have? How crazy is that? I will have one some day and have keep good notes and hopefully will have a chronograph by then. My son is from the Navy and has taken interest in this so me at 50 and getting back into the shooting and now reloading and passing on this with him is fun - very fun for me. Can't wait for my grandson to get older to play with him with this. Good info on the 38/357 and 45.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Joe, I see you are using Titegroup and Bullseye for .45acp. Which do you like better?
    I am just starting to load .45acp. I have been loading .38 special and .45 Colt for a long time. some rifle loads too. For the handgun loads I usually use Titegroup and some Unique. Titegroup, Bullseye, and Unique are the most common powders used by the guys I shoot SASS with. If possible I would like to not add another powder. I plan to load 230 grain fmj to start.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Joe, I see you are using Titegroup and Bullseye for .45acp. Which do you like better?
    I am just starting to load .45acp. I have been loading .38 special and .45 Colt for a long time. some rifle loads too. For the handgun loads I usually use Titegroup and some Unique. Titegroup, Bullseye, and Unique are the most common powders used by the guys I shoot SASS with. If possible I would like to not add another powder. I plan to load 230 grain fmj to start.

Titegroup. It's not position sensitive in the case, it's not as temperature sensitive, it burns cleaner, it provides more consistent velocities, and it's a little more accurate.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Dear mister williams

When your OP is managed so that it fits my screen, I'll read it.
    Sort of like, "This post is worthless w/o pics." Sorry. Is there a way to remedy this situation from the reader's side of it?

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Your .38 special load is very similar to my SASS competition load, 158 grain RNFP 3.5 grains Titegroup.

I shoot .45 colt with 250 grain RNFP and 4.5 grains Titegroup.

Top Bottom