• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Elkhart
    Does anyone have a 45-70? I've heard they are a bear to shoot. Having never shot one I dont think it could be any worse than a 12ga turkey load. The Marlin lever actions looks purdy, thoughts?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Thompson Contender with a "Super 16" barrel chambered for 45/70govt.

It has a muzzle tamer on it, but it's not that bad to shoot. I've taken a whitetail with mine, and my brother has taken a couple with his.

I think my Puma 92 in .454 Cassul has as much punch.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Elkhart
    i was out in CO a few months back and they had a .444 which I had never heard of. They talked it up a lot about how it was so much better than a 45-70 or the 45long colt but i suspected it was just because thats what they had and probably it had been sitting for a bit.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When any firearm gives you a kick, it is telling you how much it loves you and wants to be taken out shooting more often. At least that is what I think about it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I shot a Marlin .444, yup it had some thump. Didn't reduce my skinny butt to a quivering pile o' jelly. Buddy had a Ruger #1 S in .45-70. Handloads max'd out, he said it was getting close to .458 Win.

That thing packed a punch, muzzle climb pretty good, but again I remained structurally sound. BTW, Ruger #1 stocks/ergo tend to thump me pretty hard.

Did try a Marlin Guide Gun, ported, .45-70. Again a boomer, but OK. Definitely gets your attention though.

I think it's a lot of what one gets used to, and having stuff that doesn't fit badly from the get go. Getting bitten is different than getting thumped ;)

Buddy with the #1S, also had a Marlin, old style with crescent buttplate, .45-70. Not maxed but pretty warm loads.......that was the worst one to shoot IMHO.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My old 45-70 Marlin was the longer barrel and non ported. You knew when you lit a round off, but I never felt like it was abusive. Maybe like a 2-3/4 inch 12 gauge field load in a mossberg 500, not as heavy as a 3 inch 12 gauge, not anything to make you afraid.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Contender with a super 14" barrel. It is a lot to hold on to. Once again, to make up for my small stature and tiny package. On other hand, Marlin is not bad to fire. Just like the rest of the lever guns.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    A Sissy Responds

I am a giant sissy when it comes to recoil. I'm not ashamed of it. I shoot a Browning 45/70 rifle regularly but with my handloads. The 45/70 is as relevent today as it was 140 years ago. It can be loaded down to a gentle target round or loaded up to near 458 Win. Mag. velocities in a modern rifle. I shoot a 300 gr cast bullet over a sensible load of Varget for 1300 fps and it's very accurate and not hard on the shoulder. My magnum buddies shoot maybe 10 rounds and put their hard kickers away for the day and spend the next hour griping about their sore shoulder. Me, I just keep shooting and smile at them. Great cartridge. :D

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    It's like any rifle, the heavier the bullet the heavier the recoil. It also depends on the weight of the rifle. They are a blast to shoot, lever or single shot. They are easy to reload, that way you can make them anyway you want. Light for fun shooting and heavy for serious shooting. I say go for it.

jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    Does anyone have a 45-70? I've heard they are a bear to shoot. Having never shot one I dont think it could be any worse than a 12ga turkey load. The Marlin lever actions looks purdy, thoughts?

I have a Pedersoli Springfield 1873 Trapdoor Carbine Officers Model in .45-70.

Thus far I've fired Ultramax 405gr Round Nose Flat Points. I believe these may be reduced loads and don't produce a lot of recoil that I've noticed.

I've also fired Hornady 325gr FTX out of it (full load cartridge) and it has noticeable recoil but nothing I would term as excessive.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    GetDynamicImage.aspx

I shot one of these revolvers once. It made my hand sting pretty good. The owner asked if I wanted to try some lever revolution ammo after I shot the Remington normal load. I thanked him for letting me shoot it once.

Top Bottom