• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • michaeladkins

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Indy
    Now that is a big bullet! I bet the knock down power is quite high on that. Will you be using lead or hard cast for deer hunting? I have read mixed reviews on that, some say it breaks up easier inside the deer. So therefor it fragments and is all through the meat.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I have shot hard cast bullets into everything from diminsional lumber to dried locust (very hard wood!). I have never seen any bullet seperation or fragmentation. Cast bullets are the ideal hunting bullet, less meat damage, deeper penetration and clean kills. If you think about it our slug guns fire lead slugs and people have been eating deer killed with lead slugs for years in IN. My 45-70 is essentially a cheaper and more accurate slug gun.

My elk load is a 405 grain LWFNGC moving at 1750 fps. My deer load in 45-70 for IN will continue to be the 450 grain hard cast 18 bhn.

For more open hunting this year though I am turning to my 35 remington with jacketed 200 grain ftx bullets.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Back when I had my Marlin 45-70's my main goal was to use it as a black bear rifle and the hard cast lead bullets made the most sense for that. You can work up some loads in a 45/70 that are absolute shoulder destroying killer rounds that will leave you trying not to wimper in front of your friends while shooting it. The ones I favored were the 460gr Cast Performance hard cast with gas checks and whatever I would hit with that bullet would just get rocked. That was the gun & load that I wanted to use for some remote black bear hunts where the bears can get over 350#'s pretty easily. As far using a 45/70 to kill deer I think we need to remember that they used to take buffalo with 45/70's using ammo that would be considered a "reduced load" by today's 45/70 standards. Whatever bullet you hit a deer with out of a 45/70 is going to do the job. When you start getting into the bigger animals like elk & bears, then I'd start thinking about somthing tricky with the ammo, but as it is for now I'd just hunt the deer with a nice easy comfortable load. Anything out of a 45/70 is going to kill a deer.

tstormdrums

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Howard County
    Absolutely Teddy. I am keeping my 405 grainers at around 1450 fps. I figure that hammer while punching a 1/2" hole through one should anchor one pretty quick if I do my part and place the shot well. I am very much intrigued with that 450 grain hard cast from Montana Bullets Dave listed or maybe the 460 grain one you mentioned. Even at the modest 1400-1450 fps with a hard alloy, I am still considering the gas check version. Can't wait to hit fur with one!

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I now have a lee mold for the 450 grain I used to get my deer last year. I am going to try to get a deer with my own cast bullet this year hopefully! My load is under 1400 fps

Last edited:

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    Melensdad, I shoot the Hornady 350 grn fp in my short cases. They are short @ 2.42 OAL but cycle just fine in my Marlin. I erred on the short side, my cases are 1.775". The only problem I have is some bullets are seated slightly off center because there isn't much bullet in the case. The next batch will be right @ 1.8". Accuracy is fine 1 1/2" @ 100yds. Heavier bullets would work better as far as reloading goes but with the reduced powder capacity i was worried about rainbow trajectories.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I am going to be trying to load some 1.8 45-70 loads for my buddies Marlin Guide gun, but have a question. Does one have to machine/shorten the crimp die or is there another option?

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Dwight I had to shorten my lee FCD by 0.3". Next year I might shorten my seating die so i roll crimp. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

I have tried four different iterations and here is my final version for this year.

CE4D81E8-A581-483F-B1A9-BBA4197D3C67-424-000000355C8029F1_zpsf9ae6556.jpg

On the left is my cast 390 grain WFNGC bullet. This round is seated fully and delivers excellent accuracy. I've been bow hunting the last two days and have seen a lot of deer. I will more than likely determine this rounds effectiveness tomorrow. I charged this case with a low level trapdoor amount of H4198.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Thanks DJ, I might by a separate FCD and have it turned down and save my other one for regular length cases. I have been busy with my 358 Just Hunt 1.8 so likely it will be later in the year before I get around to it. I don't cast so I will likely try a bullet I can purchase.

vernw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    Great! Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll be trying the grinder or cut-off wheel approach and then use some already short Hornady LE brass. Thanks again for the info!

Top Bottom