• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walking Bear

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2017
    Floyds Knobs
    Ok I have impulse issues. I have been shooting, hunting and reloading for over 40 years. So I was at a gun show few years back and on a table was a 16.5 " barrel in 45/70 for a Contender. Well not legal for Indiana public land didn't think about it. One day I came across it and gathered some parts and a scope 3X I already had. Loaded some 405 FP with 3031 and about broke my shoulder and scope cut. DAMN. Ok so I found some bullets on auction site 470 GC RB and 330 HP both lead. So researching some I loaded some with black powder since loads must be in the Trap Door category. Much better now and handy.
    TC carbine.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I thought the Super 16 bbls were 16.25".
    Folks used to trim the .45-70 cases to be PCR legal here.
    Reg rynite stock for Contender is for iron sights, a cheekriser is a nice addition ( Rynite stock is tough, and thin....really like em ). Madr my cheekriser from Kydex and velcro. Worked great and no permanent mod to stock.

Mine was .35 rem Super 16.

Twitchy, used a G2 synth forend and filled hollows w epoxy and #8 shot.
    Really helped steady it for easy offhand shooting.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ok I have impulse issues. I have been shooting, hunting and reloading for over 40 years. So I was at a gun show few years back and on a table was a 16.5 " barrel in 45/70 for a Contender. Well not legal for Indiana public land didn't think about it. One day I came across it and gathered some parts and a scope 3X I already had. Loaded some 405 FP with 3031 and about broke my shoulder and scope cut. DAMN. Ok so I found some bullets on auction site 470 GC RB and 330 HP both lead. So researching some I loaded some with black powder since loads must be in the Trap Door category. Much better now and handy.
    View attachment 148226
    Just curious why you said the loads "must be in the Trapdoor category".
    That Contender will take Marlin loads all day long, and laugh them off.
    I know people who tempt fate and shoot "Ruger only" loads through a Contender.

I'm fine with the Marlin loads myself.
    My shoulder isn't as young as it used to be.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I load from ***** cat to lion loads. Unique and Trailboss loads make fun plinkers. 300 yard hits are easy. 3031 with a home cast 405 are my go to loads. No gas check needed.
    Edit: Yep, that gun will handle heavy loads all day. But why beat yourself up?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was under the impress that the Contender required light loads. It is 16.25 your right. Nice little gun
    Not from what I've been told.
    The generation 1 Contenders (One's with the cat engraved on the side) were not quite as strong in the receiver area as the later iterations, but I believe they are still strong enough to handle "Marlin/lever-gun loads".
    I don't put Ruger only through mine, but I don't need the punishment.

goob469

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    I keep looking at the Henry - Steel Lever Action .45-70 Side Gate. Not sure what I would do with it but, it's a damn good looking rifle.

Top Bottom