• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I'm looking at possibly getting a new Springfield XDS 45 as a pocket pistol for summer carry when they come out, but lately I've been on different forums researching them and quite a few people have said that a 45 will not perform well out of a 3.3" barrel and that a short barrel 9mm would be better.

I've researched the velocity loss on ballisticsbytheinch.com and they show that both the 185gr +p and 230gr both lose about 8-9% velocity going from a 5" barrel to a 3" barrel.

The 9mm 124gr +p and 147gr lose about 9% velocity going from a 5" barrel to a 3" barrel also.

So I'm confused why do people keep stating that a 45 acp out of a short barrel is a poor performer? According to ballisticsbytheinch.com a Federal 230gr 45 ACP out of a 3" barrel chronographs at 811 fps. Compare that to a Federal 225gr 45 Colt round chronographs at 791 fps out of a 5.5" barrel. So wouldn't a XDS with 5+1 45 ACP have the same firepower as a full-size 45 Colt 6 shot revolver (which I don't think anyone would call underpowered), or is there some other factor I'm missing? Please let me know your opinions on this topic.

Thanks

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    You are WAY overthinking this.

Look at it this way: I will shoot you with a 3" barreled .45, then a 5" barreled .45. Do you really think you will be able to tell the difference? I am obviously being a bit obnoxious with the shooting you bit, but do you see what I am saying?

Most gunfights happen at less then 7 yards. Do you really think even a 10-15 percent reduction if FPS is going to make any difference whatsoever with a .45? I do not, but that is just MHO.

Shoot whatever gun you find to be reliable, in whatever caliber you enjoy shooting. Chances are you will shoot every single one of the rounds out of that gun at the range. For the 1 in a thousand chances of being in situation that requires you to use your defensive handgun, skills in shooting that particular gun will far outweigh MOST ballistics concerns.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Bullets are designed to perform most consistently within a fuzzy velocity envelope. If one gets too far to the edge/outside this envelope and your bullets may not perform as designed.

The typical length under which you should test your carry ammo for .45 ACP is 4". If a barrel is significantly shorter, one can't rely as much on published test results which are usually conducted w/longer barrels.

See note below:
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

FWIW, the 3" 9/40 pistols are similarly affected.

Some options are short-barrel-specific loads, a bit lighter bullet at +p pressures, etc.

Or, you may have a "fast" barrel and find that your preferred carry ammunition tests just fine in the shorter barrel.

Last edited:

neraph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    My understanding is not that .45 ACP has poor terminal ballistics from a <4" barrel, but that .45 ACP pistols with short barrels are more prone to not cycling reliably. It's possible this is limited to 1911s though.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My understanding is not that .45 ACP has poor terminal ballistics from a <4" barrel, but that .45 ACP pistols with short barrels are more prone to not cycling reliably. It's possible this is limited to 1911s though.

That is a problem that is most common with the 1911 platform, and its not so much that they are not reliable, but the design is less tolerant of variances as far as reliability is concerned.

As far as the effectiveness lost with the shorter barrel, I have been told, by a person with first hand, real world knowledge of the effectiveness. Short version of his take, it works. His knowledge is prior to the 40 SW coming onto the scene, but 9mm was becoming popular. As far as he was concerned, 38 sp +Ps, 9mm, 357, and 45acp are all very serviceable defense loads, even in the shortened barrel pistols.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You are WAY overthinking this.

Look at it this way: I will shoot you with a 3" barreled .45, then a 5" barreled .45. Do you really think you will be able to tell the difference? I am obviously being a bit obnoxious with the shooting you bit, but do you see what I am saying?

Most gunfights happen at less then 7 yards. Do you really think even a 10-15 percent reduction if FPS is going to make any difference whatsoever with a .45? I do not, but that is just MHO.

Shoot whatever gun you find to be reliable, in whatever caliber you enjoy shooting. Chances are you will shoot every single one of the rounds out of that gun at the range. For the 1 in a thousand chances of being in situation that requires you to use your defensive handgun, skills in shooting that particular gun will far outweigh MOST ballistics concerns.

Oh my gosh, actual common sense! Good for you.

Terry

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    What everyone else said. The poor performance comes in the bullet design. If a slow moving 45 loses 10% of its velocity, it may not expand the way it was designed. Whether that matters depends on shot placement.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    A couple of things:

1. Firstly, if you're using a load in a short barreled .45 that isn't performing as designed, i.e. isn't expanding, then you aren't optimizing the potential effectiveness of your short barreled .45. Personally, I'm not satisfied with "good 'nuff" when it comes to my life and prefer to optimize/maximize where I can.

2. Secondly, if you're using a load in a short barreled .45 that isn't performing as designed (i.e. expanding), you're also wasting money, because you could be doing just as well with a less expensive FMJ load.

Top Bottom