• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'm new to the world of non-integrated feed ramps, (on pistols, at least.)

Somebody help me out. What hollowpoints feed best for you in your Rock Island .45 ACP 1911's?

I tried Winchester SXZ PD rounds, but they keep hanging up on the ramp. I like to use them in general, because they're cheap, and I can actually afford to shoot them every once in awhile. But in this case, they appear to be less than idea; that wide-mouthed hollow point just won't slide in smoothly.

Any suggestions?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    What mags are you trying to feed them with? Have you tried McCormick, Tripp, or Wilson's? Most RIA's should feed whatever you throw in them due to the throated barrel.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If the stock mag follower is the "stairstep" type, I will bet it's the culprit, not the ammo. Those types of mags cause nosedives.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I have a Rock Island tactical that feeds anything I put in it and from any magazine I use, it's just not fussy. I also have a RI double stack that with the original mag would not feed anything, I bought a couple MecGar mags and haven't had a feeding problem since.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If the stock mag follower is the "stairstep" type, I will bet it's the culprit, not the ammo. Those types of mags cause nosedives.

This is exactly what I am experiencing. I have also noticed that when the mag is loaded, (whether fully or only partially,) the nose of the top round is elevated off of the round beneath it. I.E., the rim/primer side of the casings always touch, but the nose of the top round is always pushed up away from the rounds underneath.

I suspected the follower for that, and I could see that causing these issues.

I've heard lots of good things about the 47D's; is that everybodies recommendation, or does someone have a different opinion?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a RIA compact that feeds HP just fine as long as its out of a Wilson Combat mag. It works pretty well with the ACT mag it came with now, but did not like that mag at first. In the past, I've had good luck with guns that did not like wide mouth HP ammo when I used the Hornady Critical Defense ammo. It's got an almost FMJ profile that's less prone to hang up.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Which size RIA do you have?
    Mine will eat any HP, but the one 1911 I have that hangs up on them (3") feeds them like butter with a switch to Wilson Combat mags + Critical Defense or Zombie Max (Hornady)...

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've tried critical defense in the past for it's close-nosed shape, but it actually gave me problems. I think it was the fact that it's a truncated cone, rather than the more rounded shape of ball ammo.

Regardless, I will pick up some Wilson Combat 47D's and try my preferred hollowpoints in them, and see how they do.

I know they're not super high performance hollow points, but they are loaded HOT, and I figure the fact that I can actually afford to practice with them will hopefully make up for any other downsides they may have.

As for my RIA, it's a full-size 5 inch model.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/114141472952543827947/RIATactical?authuser=0&feat=directlink

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I bought mine used with an ACT mag and a Mec Gar mag. Mine nose dived ball ammo. I bought a couple McCormicks and was better. It was a couple cleanings before I realized the feed ramp is not supposed to be black! Hoppes 9 cleaned that right up. No probs since!

Craig T

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Avon
    my father in law and shooting buddy have ria 1911's and they have had to polish the crap out of theirs and they still dont feed right... maybe they need new mags too?!

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Hornady critical defense (or zmax) seems to work well in most 1911s (no open external cavity). I do not own a RIA though, so take that with a grain of salt. They work great in my sr1911 though!

edit: never mind, saw they didn't work for you.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I shoot golden sabers through my ria with no problems..

Me too...my RIA is the compact model. I had read a few years ago that the bullet profile of the GS was more like ball ammo than other HP designs. Golden Sabers have fed my Sig P6 and my Walther P.38 and P.1s; all pistols that were supposed to have problems feeding hollow points.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My RIA is too new for me to really make a judgement call, but with the stock ACT mag, I tried both Remington JHP (green &white box) and Winchester PDX Bonded JHP and the Remington ammo hung up a couple of times (FTF), but did much better than the PDX. I polished the feed ramp yesterday so I'll have to take it out again to see if that helped. I do intend to look for some aftermarket mags at the next 1500 now that I've read about others' experiences.

Top Bottom