• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Im reloading some reduced power 45acp loads using 200gr LSWC's and 4.2grs of Bullseye powder and Im having failure to feed issues.

The gun is a Ruger SR1911 and it has a standard GI style barrel. I was wondering if it was the semi-wadcutters causing the issue because it appears to be catching right on the lip of the bullets and not going into battery.

I bought a 14lb spring thinking that was the issue but it wasnt. The rounds all eject fine but wont feed consistently. They gun functions flawlessly with 230 grain ball ammo. Any help on the situation would be appreciated. Im likely gonna switch to a 200gr or 230gr lead round nose and see what happens.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    JMB's 1911 was designed for 230 gr. FMJ round nose "hardball" bullet.. I always have trouble with SWC, but never with 230 gr. RN FMJ or LRN bullets. It's the LSWC IMO.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Every 200 LSWC I have ever used, needs to be 2.250 OAL length. Put one of your reloads next to a 230 ball round and visually compare them. None of the profiles of the 200 should be outside the profile of the 230.

Also, be sure you are taper crimping enough. It is absolutely needed for smooth feeding. I like to visually be able to see the crimp and feel it with my thumbnail. Case length has never been an issue for any of my 45's. Once fired cases are virtually the same length as 20 times fired cases. I ignore case length.

You can of course polish the crap out of the feed ramp, but if the cartridge is going bumpity bump on the way into the chamber, it will FTF sometime. It should FTF, NEVER......Even in rough factory feed ramps.

Last edited:

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    WHAT IS OAL AND HOW LONG IS CASE

OAL is 1.235 I dont measure my cases its all mixed range brass. I checked every one by dropping them into the barrel they go in fine and drop out easy. Its gotta be the SWC bullet.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    OAL is 1.235 I dont measure my cases its all mixed range brass. I checked every one by dropping them into the barrel they go in fine and drop out easy. Its gotta be the SWC bullet.

I was just discussing too short OAL length with a USPSA grandmaster this past weekend. His advise was too short often causes feeding issues. We all load 200gr LSWC at 1.25 AOL.

Mortblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Has nothing to do with crimp, OAL or anything else but the change of recoil spring. A 14 pound spring will not overcome the friction needed to chamber the SWC.

You are a full grain below recommended starting load. Bump the charge back up to recommended starting starting load and use the standard spring. Your problems will end.

I bet that if the sun is shining over your right shoulder you can see those slugs on their way to target. You are probably not getting more then 600fps out of that load. It's like shooting a big old pellet pistol!

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Has nothing to do with crimp, OAL or anything else but the change of recoil spring. A 14 pound spring will not overcome the friction needed to chamber the SWC.

You are a full grain below recommended starting load. Bump the charge back up to recommended starting starting load and use the standard spring. Your problems will end.

I bet that if the sun is shining over your right shoulder you can see those slugs on their way to target. You are probably not getting more then 600fps out of that load. It's like shooting a big old pellet pistol!

That SWC profile can be real finicky on OAL. Like a few have already said, I too have found best reliability is when they run right at 1.250.

Great point of recoil spring. I have never had the need to reduce the spring weight and I often times do load some pretty soft loads.

IMHO, the OP is doing exactly what he should be on his charge... Starting low and seeing what works for him. I don't know where he got his data from, but from Alliant, for the 200 gr LSWC, they list 4.6 as max and to reduce 10% to start. This is using a softer Speer bullet. Speer # 13 also has 4.6 max with the same bullet.

Depending on the hardness of the bullet the OP is using, he could very well increase his charge, but I certainly wouldn't jump up a whole grain to start.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    For proper crimp:

Measure (with calipers the thin, angled part) just below where the case meets the bullet. Then measure in the middle of the case for dia. Crimp should be .0005 to .001 less than body of case. Check a couple of times to make sure you get the same results every time.
    What dies are using BTW?

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    JMB's 1911 was designed for 230 gr. FMJ round nose "hardball" bullet.. I always have trouble with SWC, but never with 230 gr. RN FMJ or LRN bullets. It's the LSWC IMO.

discussed this yesterday/last week in the 1911 learning curve, 1911's can be picky on ammo.

Every 200 LSWC I have ever used, needs to be 2.250 OAL length. Put one of your reloads next to a 230 ball round and visually compare them. None of the profiles of the 200 should be outside the profile of the 230.

Also, be sure you are taper crimping enough. It is absolutely needed for smooth feeding. I like to visually be able to see the crimp and feel it with my thumbnail. Case length has never been an issue for any of my 45's. Once fired cases are virtually the same length as 20 times fired cases. I ignore case length.

You can of course polish the crap out of the feed ramp, but if the cartridge is going bumpity bump on the way into the chamber, it will FTF sometime. It should FTF, NEVER......Even in rough factory feed ramps.

Feed ramp condition ties into maintenance/overall issues with the platform that need address.
    ^^^ He means 1.25 OAL.^^^

Often extractor tuning is the culprit with feeding issues also.

UGH, of course 1.25. No more/no less. The extractor tune and polish can work wonders.
    Maintenance issue, that according to some on this forum 1911's don't require. These users have obviously dealt with similar issues before, and found their various remedies.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Actually a load of 4.0 grains of Bullseye will give velocities of around 750 fps and will function a 1911 with a slide mounted scope. This with a 12 lb. recoil spring. I think the 4.2 grains of Bullseye should function the pistol. I'm thinking that the magazine may be causing the problem. It may need tweaking or a Metalform magazine tried.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    For proper crimp:

Measure (with calipers the thin, angled part) just below where the case meets the bullet. Then measure in the middle of the case for dia. Crimp should be .0005 to .001 less than body of case. Check a couple of times to make sure you get the same results every time.
    What dies are using BTW?

Lee dies

Top Bottom