• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2016
    mishawka
    By sept i'll have my 1911 picked up. i have been checking out 45acp ammo, but i'm not sure with fps standard ammo stops and +p starts. I have seen some at 950fps being called standard ammo and others 950fps being called a +p round. Can any one give me any info? Thanks

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Probably different bullet weights.

950 fps is definitely not standard pressure with a 230 grain bullet. But that might be about right for a standard pressure 185 grain bullet.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Just so you're clear, standard vs +P refers to pressure (peak pressure inside the case when fired), not velocity (fps). Projectile velocity is a result of that pressure and varies based on a number of things (barrel length being a big one... light load out of a 6" barrel might end up with higher velocity than +P out of a 2" barrel)

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    as previous posts say, it likely is so different from bullet weights.
    230 grain, round nose ball ammo is the standard. Looks like the chart above puts them between 830-915 fps, whereas +p in that bullet weight at about 975 fps.
    Using lighter bullets AND +P loads can get those lighter bullets (185 gr, 200 gr) bullets moving pretty fast.

I think the .45 acp is great at being what it is... a big, heavy, slightly slower bullet that hits hard. The hardball ammo feeds quite reliably and most factories sight in (if they do at all) using 230 gr ammo. Under 25 yards, you won't notice much difference as long as you stay at about the same weight. But, swithcing bullet weights AND switching between standard pressure and +p, you'll see the groups start to move around a bit. Even more so at greater distance (very fun to try a .45 at 100 yds!)

If someone wants a fast bullet, look at 10mm or .40 or 357sig.

Congrats on the new .45, you'll love it!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Never seen a need for +P in a 45acp.

I like +P for for a hard cast woods load in .45 ACP.

Probably also a good thing to ensure bullet expansion from shorter barrel pistols. I use +P HST 230 grain loads in my Shield.

I like +P for home defense as well. Penetrates a little less, expands a little more.

But I'd feel comfortable with standard velocity, as long as it's 230 grain. Regardless of velocity, it ain't gonna shrink. :)

Top Bottom