• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    1911s are recoil operated. Most cans that were effective are relatively heavy and that messes with the recoil. The only can I ever got to play with on a 1911 turned it into a pump gun. After you fired it you racked the slide back and ejected the empty brass and loaded a fresh round. If you held the weapon by the can it worked just like a pump shotgun. Sounded like you dropped a text book on a cement floor. I have seen one of these fired when customers were in the same room and no one even turned around. The weapon was fired into a bullet trap in a safe direction. Not real concealable but, pretty quiet. Now that was 20 years ago and there may have been some huge advances in technology. A "New" small can may work just like in the movies. I have not had the pleasure of seeing one yet.

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    I shot one mounted on the BIG HK .45. It didn't feel really front heavy and the sound was much less than a suppressed 9mm but noticeably louder than a .22 with a can. You don't need ear protection and the sound doesn't seem to travel far.

I've also shot one of the Enfield's Smle converted to .45 with an integral suppressed barrel. It was quieter than the HK, but not by much.

I was impressed and have thought about a .45 can for myself. It would look good on my P220

Kw55018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Clay City
    I was wondering how good it would work before i did anything. I have a Taurus P1911 AR I would like to have a can for.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm not sure what Uralguy is referring too by the weight of the suppressor detracting from recoil operation. If it's a fully threaded barrel, the silencer is independent of the recoil mechanism. Since MOST 45acp is subsonic or close from the factory, you wouldnt have to load special ammo either. Now, if you were using a threaded barrel bushing, yes, the silencer would travel with the slide and slow it down. Check out youtube, there is a video of a 1911 with a supressor.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    You're right that the barrel doesn't move much, but it does move. This small movement is what sends the slide back when it fires. This is the basis for the workings of the whole system. The barrel not only moves back, but it rotates in a muzzle up fashion. The added weight of a suppressor can make a big difference in function, especially for light loads.

Check out this animation:
    http://www.m1911.org/loader.swf

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    As I remember 25 years ago there was a 1911 barrel on the market that was threaded to take an old MAC 45 can. This sounds exactly like what Ural Guy was describing as I shot a few rounds through one and the gun had to be manualy cycled. Was quite though.:)

Top Bottom