.45 Colt & .45 Long Colt: What is the difference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    OK, folks learn me something! I am trying to understand the difference between .45 Colt and .45 Long Colt. It appears the latter simply has a longer case. Is that it?:dunno:

Can the LC be used for deer hunting in Indiana in both pistol and rifle?

I have checked numerous sites, and am continuing to do so, but the data is confusing. One site lists the .45LC as approved for pistol hunting in Indiana, as well as the .45 Colt, but only lists the .45 Colt as approved for use in a rifle. Was it an oversight or is the .45LC not approved for a specific reason?

I checked the measurements on the .45LC and they fit the size regulations for use in a rifle in Indiana.

Physically, the .45 Colt is a typical, straight wall, rimmed revolver cartridge. Its rim diameter is .512", its base diameter is .480", and its neck diameter is .476". The case length is 1.29" and the overall cartridge length is 1.6".

The .45LC meets the state specs but the cartridge is not listed as approved for rifles.

Can both types be used in the same weapon, pistol and rifle? If a rifle is "chambered in .45LC" can I shoot .45Colts in it, or only .45LC?

INGO experts, where are you? Thanks, in advance, for helping out the rookie.:ingo:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The .45 Colt and .45 Long Colt are the same cartridge as I understand it. The true name is .45 Colt and the Long part came along to differentiate it from the .45 Schofield, which was shorter. I may be wrong but that's the way I remember it. The .45 Colt was around way before the .45ACP. :twocents:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The .45 Colt and .45 Long Colt are the same cartridge as I understand it. The true name is .45 Colt and the Long part came along to differentiate it from the .45 Schofield, which was shorter. I may be wrong but that's the way I remember it. The .45 Colt was around way before the .45ACP. :twocents:

Yep, this is it. 45 Colt is the cartridge's name. LC was a field moniker after the Schofield rd came out . Both could be used in the Colt S.A.A. but the longer 45 Colt would not fit the S&W Schofield top break revolver.

drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They are the same and 45 Colt is the proper name. The cartridge is so large because it was originally made for black powder. BP is bulkier.
    What will you be shooting the 45 Colt rounds in?
    I have several pistols and even a lever action carbine chambered in 45 Colt. There never was a rifle chambered in 45 Colt back in the 1800's but several modern companies have made them for cowboy action shooting.
    They are fun to shoot and in the proper firearm, the 45 colt is more powerful than the 45 auto (ACP) round.
    I load my own black powder rounds with 250 Grain round nose flat point bullets. That is a big hunk of lead out there.

Have fun.
    Don

Top Bottom