• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    I've loaded the 45 Colt for deer hunting in my Miroku made 92, but I haven't loaded any standard loads yet. What I'm looking for is a 255gr. SWC or RFN that produces something close to the original black powder loads as far as velocity. [around 900 fps]. The idea being that many guns with fixed sights were designed for that velocity. I notice a lot of loads using 8.5 grs or so of Unique, but wonder if that powder may actually be a bit fast for this application, creating higher pressures than necessary. My thoughts are that something a little slower burning might create the right velocity, but with a bit less pressure, perhaps limiting potential wear and tear on the pistol used. Does anyone have some recipe that falls into this category? Also, opinions as to whether my thoughts on this are warranted are welcome too.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I do not know if I would worry about wear and tear, but that is a personal thing.

I load my standard velocity loads with HS-6 but I use 250 gr. XTP's.

I only load old school original velocity loads. Back when I used to load them hot for my Contender I never seemd to have good accuracy and split brass after a couple loadings. Got out of the 45 colt game. Then tried another and just stuck to the standard loads and developed a new appreciation of it. Many people load them hot though with the right gun and have good results.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've fired thousands of rounds using Unique and Red Dot in the .45 colt in various Italian and American made single and double actions with no issues. I've heard HS-6 I'd a good powder too but have only used it in my .32/20's.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    8 grains of Unique under a 255 cast bullet has been my go to load for 45 Colt in everything.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Stick with published loads and you won't have any problem.
    I've lost track of the number of rounds I've loaded with Unique and everything is still tight.
    If you feel the need to try something else, I've gotten decent results from W231, and IMR 4227 also.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My curent 45 Colt load is a 255 gr cast bullet over HS-6. It is a bit warmer than the Universal Clays loads that I started out with, but works quite well in my Ruger Vaquero.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    I may be worrying over a non-issue, but I suspect higher pressures with Unique when going for original velocities, than some others may produce. I guess it may be due to most Unique loads listed at slower than original standard. I'm not looking for Blackhawk only loads. I shoot some pretty old guns and some new and heavily built. Other than for deer hunting in my lever, I would like to find something with minimal pressures but standard speed so as not to have to develop separate loads for different revolvers. I also wonder a bit as to position sensitivity when using such a relatively small amount of powder in a fairly large case.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I also shoot a few of the Low walls like yours, In looking at my ( Old ) loading manuals your 8 grains of Unique is a pretty mild load. I tend to use slower burning powders such as
    IMR 4227
    Win 296
    You tend to end up with a full case of powder and a longer pressure curve.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    I subscribe to the handloaders sight, which is what has me asking, I think. I was wondering about the 2400 route. I think I like the 4227 idea as well. I've never worked with that one before, but I have had good results with IMR powders on rifle loads. Fuller case and longer curve were exactly what I was thinking. Any recipes that have worked well for you?
    Thanks

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I use 4227 in a bunch of calibers and have tried it in the 45 colt. Accuracy was good, had a bunch of unburnt powder left in the barrel. I have tried the 2400. It was good powder, just seemed dirty.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Yeah, I loaded the 2400 pretty hot in some 357 hunting loads before I got my 92. Still burned a bit dirty for my tastes, but I guess if it'll do what I need I may go that route. I use H110 for my hunting loads in 45 colt, but that stuff has to be pushed pretty good to get consistent velocities. Too far for loads in my old Webley WG and the like. Anyone else have experience with IMR 4227? Consistent? Clean? Or any others?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Correction on that handloader's site. I subscribe to Load data. I'm checking again now, but they seem to have either Cowboy loads at 700 fps. or so, or heavy Ruger and rifle loads.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I got decent accuracy with IMR 4227 in the .45 Colt, but to be honest my guns liked Unique better so I never really tried to wring the most out of 4227.
    I wouldn't call 4227 "dirty". It didn't leave a lot of soot on the gun, but it did leave a LOT of incompletely burned powder kernels laying about.
    Still, if one were looking for a slower powder to use in the .45 Colt, IMR 4227 would be my first choice.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Trail Boss is #19 on Hodgdon's burn chart. Unique is #31.
    The OP said he was looking for a slower powder than Unique.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Yep. I started looking over some burn rate charts yesterday. I think on some of the slower burners, I may be able to get a more complete burn with a bit heavier crimp, or find published loads using magnum primers, or both? I'm also going to start trying to find some published info on actual pressures produced with something like Unique. Maybe they aren't as bad as I would suspect. I'm just looking for lower than SAAMI specs on a consistent basis to help keep overall wear and tear down to a minimum. I'm finding that other factors may be important as well. Things like how susceptible a powder may be to higher ambients, how linear their pressure curves may be as charge is increased, position sensitivity, etc. Maybe I'm looking for a miracle powder here.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    What you get with trail boss is a powder with no change of a double charge without overflowing the case at limited speed. Made for cowboy action reloaders and not nearly as smoky/dirty as unique. Since the powder fills the case you will have more consistent ignition also.

Top Bottom