Think again:):

IPUclNH.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    40 has a much wider adoption than the GAP ever had from what I understand, and you would by swapping a barrel on a 40 S&W gun have a 357 sig capable gun, so I'd place that a bit higher on the practical chart than GAP, IMO.

My slightly snarky comment wasn’t thinking about practicality or even the effectiveness of the cartridges. Merely poking fun at ammo availability. In the end they are all service cartridges.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My slightly snarky comment wasn’t thinking about practicality or even the effectiveness of the cartridges. Merely poking fun at ammo availability. In the end they are all service cartridges.

No worries. Personally I'd never buy a GAP gun, as I don't reload and while there may be pockets of ammo availability, it just doesn't seem to have a bright future (no real consideration in my comment either for it's effectiveness). 357 Sig, I'd definitely consider getting a barrel for sure if I had a 40 S&W chambered gun.

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    Just my two cents. The 45 GAP is my favorite round to shoot. I hear all the complaints about the round (lack of ammo and expensive, stupid idea, answer to a question that wasn't asked, Gaston ego, already have the 45 ACP and nothing new or different, lower round count, etc.) and they don't bother me. I bought my first in 2003 because I like bigger rounds and my hands are small. I have over came many of the complaints. I reload - consider it a must with this round. Brass can be found if patient (I'm around 5k cases right now and am always looking for good deals on it - .07 - .09 per casing. I shoot 185 and 230 grain bullets - prefer the round nose. I have loaded over 10 different powders and have made some really nice rounds. Velocity between 685 fps and 1125 fps. Some for power, some for speed, some for plinking, some for accuracy, some for self defense - many include all the attributes. It also uses SPP. Only issue I occasionally have is load data - I have calculated many of my own recipes from scratch (derived from 45 ACP or random GAP data). I own the Glock 37.4, Glock 37.3, Glock 38, Springfield XD LE, and Springfield LE Tactical - just missing the Glock 39. Glocks were not my favorite ergonomically but I have adapted over the years and it has grown on me - wish other companies would make guns chambered in it, but I get it - sales drive what companies build and the GAP is not popular. I have or have shot all the other calibers out there but really like the impulse and feel of the round. I started thinning out my many multiple calibers last year to be more streamlined but this is definitely my guilty pleasure - wish they made a carbine that is produced in mass (Just Right made a few - extremely rare). It is extremely accurate and my small hands like the grip that this round fits in. Most people that dis the round have never fired it. They just like to jump on the bandwagon and say how ridiculous it is and beat a dead horse. I posted on the Glock forum once about my preference for the round and you would have thought I was Hitler (the hate from every direction). Every friend who has shot one of mine, really likes it. I have bought every GAP firearm at a drastic reduction ($250-$375) in price because of demand (excluding present day) and ammo is almost always available on line and similarly priced as comparable 45 ACP. I have added the Glock +2 extension (only +1 for 45 GAP) to most of my mags so it gives me 11+1 in the full size. God forgive if the Democrats ever get their wish for a national 10 round mag limit (research I have found says that Gaston was counting on the 94 AWB to be extended which would have helped drive the new round to more popularity). I'm not hyping it, saying it's the best thing since John Browning and that everyone should own one, but it has its place and is a solid addition to any ones arsenal / collection.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just my two cents. The 45 GAP is my favorite round to shoot. I hear all the complaints about the round (lack of ammo and expensive, stupid idea, answer to a question that wasn't asked, Gaston ego, already have the 45 ACP and nothing new or different, lower round count, etc.) and they don't bother me.

I bought my first in 2003 because I like bigger rounds and my hands are small. I have over came many of the complaints. I reload - consider it a must with this round. Brass can be found if patient (I'm around 5k cases right now and am always looking for good deals on it - .07 - .09 per casing. I shoot 185 and 230 grain bullets - prefer the round nose. I have loaded over 10 different powders and have made some really nice rounds. Velocity between 685 fps and 1125 fps. Some for power, some for speed, some for plinking, some for accuracy, some for self defense - many include all the attributes. It also uses SPP. Only issue I occasionally have is load data - I have calculated many of my own recipes from scratch (derived from 45 ACP or random GAP data). I own the Glock 37.4, Glock 37.3, Glock 38, Springfield XD LE, and Springfield LE Tactical - just missing the Glock 39.

Glocks were not my favorite ergonomically but I have adapted over the years and it has grown on me - wish other companies would make guns chambered in it, but I get it - sales drive what companies build and the GAP is not popular. I have or have shot all the other calibers out there but really like the impulse and feel of the round. I started thinning out my many multiple calibers last year to be more streamlined but this is definitely my guilty pleasure - wish they made a carbine that is produced in mass (Just Right made a few - extremely rare). It is extremely accurate and my small hands like the grip that this round fits in.

Most people that dis the round have never fired it. They just like to jump on the bandwagon and say how ridiculous it is and beat a dead horse. I posted on the Glock forum once about my preference for the round and you would have thought I was Hitler (the hate from every direction). Every friend who has shot one of mine, really likes it. I have bought every GAP firearm at a drastic reduction ($250-$375) in price because of demand (excluding present day) and ammo is almost always available on line and similarly priced as comparable 45 ACP. I have added the Glock +2 extension (only +1 for 45 GAP) to most of my mags so it gives me 11+1 in the full size.

God forgive if the Democrats ever get their wish for a national 10 round mag limit (research I have found says that Gaston was counting on the 94 AWB to be extended which would have helped drive the new round to more popularity). I'm not hyping it, saying it's the best thing since John Browning and that everyone should own one, but it has its place and is a solid addition to any ones arsenal / collection.

Better KG?

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Just my two cents. The 45 GAP is my favorite round to shoot. I hear all the complaints about the round (lack of ammo and expensive, stupid idea, answer to a question that wasn't asked, Gaston ego, already have the 45 ACP and nothing new or different, lower round count, etc.) and they don't bother me. I bought my first in 2003 because I like bigger rounds and my hands are small. I have over came many of the complaints. I reload - consider it a must with this round. Brass can be found if patient (I'm around 5k cases right now and am always looking for good deals on it - .07 - .09 per casing. I shoot 185 and 230 grain bullets - prefer the round nose. I have loaded over 10 different powders and have made some really nice rounds. Velocity between 685 fps and 1125 fps. Some for power, some for speed, some for plinking, some for accuracy, some for self defense - many include all the attributes. It also uses SPP. Only issue I occasionally have is load data - I have calculated many of my own recipes from scratch (derived from 45 ACP or random GAP data). I own the Glock 37.4, Glock 37.3, Glock 38, Springfield XD LE, and Springfield LE Tactical - just missing the Glock 39. Glocks were not my favorite ergonomically but I have adapted over the years and it has grown on me - wish other companies would make guns chambered in it, but I get it - sales drive what companies build and the GAP is not popular. I have or have shot all the other calibers out there but really like the impulse and feel of the round. I started thinning out my many multiple calibers last year to be more streamlined but this is definitely my guilty pleasure - wish they made a carbine that is produced in mass (Just Right made a few - extremely rare). It is extremely accurate and my small hands like the grip that this round fits in. Most people that dis the round have never fired it. They just like to jump on the bandwagon and say how ridiculous it is and beat a dead horse. I posted on the Glock forum once about my preference for the round and you would have thought I was Hitler (the hate from every direction). Every friend who has shot one of mine, really likes it. I have bought every GAP firearm at a drastic reduction ($250-$375) in price because of demand (excluding present day) and ammo is almost always available on line and similarly priced as comparable 45 ACP. I have added the Glock +2 extension (only +1 for 45 GAP) to most of my mags so it gives me 11+1 in the full size. God forgive if the Democrats ever get their wish for a national 10 round mag limit (research I have found says that Gaston was counting on the 94 AWB to be extended which would have helped drive the new round to more popularity). I'm not hyping it, saying it's the best thing since John Browning and that everyone should own one, but it has its place and is a solid addition to any ones arsenal / collection.
    This information was largely what I was looking for as well. I liked seeing some first hand information on the 45 GAP from someone who's done a lot of work with it. Like I said, I'm a revolver guy but this caliber has sparked my interest throughout the years so it's nice to learn more about it. I hadn't thought about the 94 AWB but that makes a lot of sense since this caliber would have allowed for a a larger caliber in a smaller frame gun had the extension become a reality.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The whole idea was the 45 ACP in a Double stack G**** made a brick of a gun due to the cartridge length. G****'s answer was to shorten the case yet get the same velocity out of standard weight bullets. Thus the grip would be the same size a say a G17/19. 45 "power" in 9mm frame.

I have smaller hands and I ended up getting a Gen 4 Glock 21 and did a grip-reduction and then stippled it to get the grip size and feel that I wanted.
    It made a HUGE difference in how comfortable it was in my hand and improved my handling/shooting a lot!
    I actually considered the .45 GAP prior to doing the grip-reduction, but decided to go with the grip-reduction approach because I later set the pistol up for .45 SUPER!
    Now that round is a HOOT!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    A glock 37 was my first glock.

People like to berate the round a lot, and they have valid points, but the cartridge is fantastic, in my opinion. I've always enjoyed shooting the firearm, and now that I have numerous glocks, I think the 37 has the smoothest cycling of any of them, probably due to the really exaggerated unsupported chamber and feed angle.

There should only be 2 different 45 cartridges left, the 45 gap and 460 rowland. Nothing inbetween really makes much sense anymore, except for the fact both are absurdly uncommon now.

YNaVtJR.jpg

I wonder how many other OD model 37s are out there.

Top Bottom