• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SqueezedEmu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    I'm interested in finding a .45 lever action rifle.

With that, I would like to educate myself on them would like some opinions, information, and maybe a though on about how much I should spend on a good rifle.

I do plan on using it, so I would prefer not to get anything that I can't use (antiques and such). I don't mind having to fix it if needed because I have a gunsmith available and I can do a little gunsmithing myself.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I don't know what your financial situation is, but about 8 months ago, I picked up Rossi M92 in .45 for around 400... I know that there is a Puma lever action for about the twice the price with similar barrel length and such. Might go take a look around the web and see if those would be something you would be interested. I know that the Henry Big Boy is also available in .45. Henry does make a fine rifle. Good luck and post pics for us to drool over when you get it!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You have to be talking about 45LC. If so, you don't have to worry about antiques because it was not chambered in any 1894 type rifles originally.

The only ones you will find on the market are relatively modern. I own a Winchester Trapper that you would have to pry out of my hands. I think Puma makes a version also.

Good luck finding one.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    You have to be talking about 45LC. If so, you don't have to worry about antiques because it was not chambered in any 1894 type rifles originally.

The only ones you will find on the market are relatively modern. I own a Winchester Trapper that you would have to pry out of my hands. I think Puma makes a version also.

Good luck finding one.

I assumed he was talking about .45LC... I have never heard of a .45 auto lever gun without a custom build.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I want to find (another) one myself. Got a Puma 45lc with the 20 inch barrel, now I want one with a 16 inch barrel and large loop lever. Always wanted a "John Wayne" or "Rifleman" rifle, just not in 44-40. I want one in a caliber I already have.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Last year Marlin had a special run sold at dicks of 1894 standard round barrel in 45 LC. I think they had birch stocks but with the Marshield finish of late it was hard to tell. They were selling them under 500 dollars. There was one in the dicks in the mall in noblesville in the winter. I looked at it liked it and had to put it back. I almost cried.

Marlins in 45 lc have a faster twist than the 44 mag with it's 1-38 twist.

If you handload the 45 LC can be tricked out real well just make sure that you make them different and mark the loads lever action/ruger/contender only some how. I use brass cases for my regular rounds and nickel for the special ones. Sometime I make lead bullets for normal and jacketed ones for specials but do maker the box for sure. Someone might touch one off in a old time gun and hurt it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can also look into something in .454 Casull... Should be able to shoot .45Colt and .45Schofield through it.

Or even .460 Ruger...then you get .454, .45Colt, AND .45Schofield

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've got a Rossi 45 colt lever gun, shoots great! I think the Marlin is the only option if you want side eject, not positive about that but i know the Winchester and Rossi's are center eject. Doesn't bother me but it's info to be had. I have a Blackhawk in 45 Colt as well, makes for a great hunting combo!

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Made in America - Henry Big Boy .45
    36781.jpg

SqueezedEmu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Yeah, I assumed .45LC would have been implied lol

Thanks for all the help! I am really excited to continue looking and hopefully find a rifle, especially armed with more knowledge on the gun I'm looking for.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    You say you are planning on using it, does that include deer hunting? If so, you could look into a 44 mag. The 44 mag ammo is usually a little cheaper as well.

SqueezedEmu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    I was definately thinking about deer hunting with it. I have considered a 44. It's definately something I'm not opposed to.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Do you handload? Do you have revolver in .45 Colt?

If no, you might be better served by a .44 Magnum - more factory ammo choices for hunting.

That said, there's nothing wrong with the factory .45 Colt offerings. But if you handload the .45 Colt is the cat's meow, IMO, and will do eveything the .44 Mag will do.

I like the lines and handling of the 16" barreled 1892 style. (Winchester Trapper Carbine, Puma, Rossi, etc.)

I came " this close to buying a 16" Puma 92 in .454 Casull. And I still wish I had bought that H&R .45 Colt single shot.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    When I started looking into a good deer gun, I started looking at the 45 LC. The 45 will, even in standard factory loads, serve well as a deer rifle/pistol cartridge. I do reload, and was already set up for 45 LC, as I have an 1860 that is converted in this caliber.
    The more I looked, the more I became more interested in the 44 Mag. It is true that the 45 LC can be pushed to the same levels, but the 44 is already there. I found a few places that led me to believe that identical models in the respective calibers might be built to different standards, as even a warm 45 LC load doesnt come near the pressures of a 44mag. Something else to consider, the 44 has many bullets available for reloaders that were designed to function with the velocities involved. With the 45, hot loads with hollowpoints might push regular 45 LC designed bullets past their capabilities, and not be fast enough to make .454 and .460 bullets open at all.

Nothing is wrong with either caliber, but consider what you will be asking of the cartridge before you get into the wrong one for your needs.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    FWIW, Hornady 250gr "XTP" will do fine a +P levels. The "XTP-Mag" bullets for the .454 and .460 are designed for higher velocity.

xtp.jpg

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I concede, sir, this chart might have changed my decision last winter when I ordered my Super Blackhawk. Oh well, no regrets, the 44 has been great, and I am sure it will serve the purpose.

This info will be helpful in working up a load for the wife's 44 too, as her Taurus tracker isnt so fond of those full house H110 loads I have been working on for the Ruger.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    8.68 pounds for a .45LC lever !:horse:
    No thanks !

I ain't draggin that sucker through the thick brush all day.

I have a .375 H&H Mag that is lighter.

Hard to argue with that. Brass receiver and heavy hex barrel really adds up the weight. It would be good as a saddle gun maybe, but way to heavy to tote by hand.

It sure looks nice though.

Top Bottom