• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xilegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    Speedway
    now that I have "conquered" 45acp, 38 special, and 357 magnums, meaning I have made rounds, fired those rounds, and gun and fingers are all in 1 piece, LOL. my new challenge is a 45 long colt for a rifle. Will be shooting a modern Henry Rifle, with a 250g bullet. Question is, What is best performing rifle powder and at what grain charge, or since this is technically a pistol round, should I stay with a pistol powder? I would think that a rifle powder should be just fine, but since I don't know, and this forum has plenty of experience, all inputs appreciated. Target shooting is the primary application for these loads.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    You will use the same powders for pistol and rifle in 45 Colt, which will be shown in a reloading manual, which judging from your question you do not have. A reloading manual, if not several of them is in my opinion the most important tool for a person who loads their own ammo.

I have had great luck with W296 and 2400, but that was for very heavy loads used in a T/C Encore that may exceed the limits of your lever action. I like Unique and W231 for lighter cast loads.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    You will use the same powders for pistol and rifle in 45 Colt, which will be shown in a reloading manual, which judging from your question you do not have. A reloading manual, if not several of them is in my opinion the most important tool for a person who loads their own ammo.

+1,000 on this^^^^

As for using this ammo in a rifle, it depends on what your goal for that particular load is. If I want a quiet plinking load, I go with one of the faster burning powders listed in the manual. If I want utmost velocity, I go with a slower burning powder. In my Taurus Lightening .45 Colt rifle, Trailboss, Bullseye, 700-X, and Red Dot give a very quiet report while IMR 4227 gives a big healthy boom and the highest velocity. Refer to several good manuals to find data for these powders (and more!) with lead bullets. I recommend Lyman, Sierra, and Lee, plus the free Hodgdon on-line data center.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    For stout loads, I love 2400. The preferred powder of Elmer Keith if I recall correctly... If I want a full power heavy bullet load in my .357 lever or .45 Colt lever rifles, that is my go-to powder. I am trying to find a cleaner burning alternative to Unique for plinking. I use 231 for my pistol plinking in .38's, 9mm, and 45 ACP, but really haven't tried anything besides Unique for 45 Colt plinkers. With that big of a case, I want to fill it up some, not just have a little bit of 231 or Bullseye sitting in there. Light loads like that burn the dirtiest.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    O.K. Straight from the Lyman's 49th Edition

Case-Winchester
    Trim-1.275"
    Primer-WLP
    Primer size-Large Pistol
    Sized to .452"

Firearm used- Winchester Model 94AE
    Barrel length-16"
    Twist-1:38"
    Groove diam. .451

250gr RNFP #2 alloy
    mold # 454190
    OAL-1.600"

Red Dot
    Start-------------------------------- Max
    4.5gr=763fps----------------------6.5gr=1002fps

700X
    Start -------------------------------- Max
    4.5gr=816fps---------------------- 6.0fps=992

Titegroup
    Start ---------------------------------Max
    5.6gr=933-------------------------- 6.2gr=1004fps

Start ----------------------------------Max
    6.5gr=967fps ---------------------- 7.4gr=1069fps

Unique
    Start ---------------------------------- Max
    6.0gr=809fps------------------------ 9.0gr=1157fps

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Modern Henry's are stout heavy rifles, I use cast gas check bullets from 300-325 grains, powders like 2400, Lil Gun and 296/H110. Really nothing in the lower 48 those loads won't bring down inside the effective range of the rifle. At 40 yards my Henry put the Lyman 452651 through a deer from left front shoulder to right pelvis. At lighter loadings with 230-250 grain cast they make low cost plinkers.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    I use Blue Dot, long barrel, slow burn..... not bad recoil .....

+1 on the slow burn. With a longer barrel, why not make use of it? Not that you will use different powders, just that you will favor one end of the spectrum over the other.

Not that it applies to the lever action, but an example is the Ruger Deerhunter (semi auto). I have one that was gifted to me from family because in 15 years two people could not get it to fire reliably. It turned out the only problem was that they were using 44Mag store-bought ammunition....optimized for revolvers. By the time the bullet passed the gas port, the pressure was too low to cycle the action. I loaded up rounds with solid loads of 2400 and H110 and the gun has not mis-fed a single round since.

You have the barrel, make use of it. Look up loads with 2400 and H110.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've loaded probably just north of 1,000 rounds of .45 Colt for my Ruger Blackhawk and Marlin 1894, and I have two categories of loads for them: moderate velocity plinkers and butt-kicking loads
    For the former, I love good old Unique, which has a wide latitude of load levels, from very mild, up to factory load level, to just a smidge warmer than factory load level.
    Every reloader who wants to load for handguns would do well to have a can of Unique on his bench at all times, but sadly, I used mine up, and it's damn near impossible to find it these days.

For the really hairy-chested stuff, my go to powder is Winchester W296 (aka Hodgdon H110), which can make the old .45 Colt into something truly impressive in a modern strong action able to withstand this kind of power, which both of my guns have.
    Using max loads with this powder, I'm able to propel 255 grain bullets out at a measured 1250 fps out of the 7.5" barrel of my Blackhawk.
    I'm able to launch the 225 grain Hornady FTX bullet with this powder at an impressive 1810 fps out of 20" barrel of my 1894; and the three deer I've shot with this load didn't argue about its performance, each required only one shot.
    FWIW, your Henry also has a strong action able to handle the enhanced loads listed in the loading manuals under the category of "for T/C Contender or Ruger Blackhawk Only!"
    I saw your comment speculating that rifle powder would be more appropriate for this cartridge out of a rifle, but don't be tempted.
    Stick to the manuals; never attempt to just wing it, unless you don't value your gun and fingers, eyes, and face.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I use Blue Dot, long barrel, slow burn..... not bad recoil .....

How clean is Blue Dot? I have heard it is good for 9mm carbines as well. I used to want to stay with just a couple of powders, but now I have decided to get a few pounds of some for specialized loads. Probably a mistake, one minute I think I should stick with 231 (fast pistol plinkers), Unique (plinking for larger cases or stout for some smaller calibers) and 2400 for magnum loads. Then the next minute... I just don't know what to do. I guess it will depend on powder availability as much as anything else. I want to find me a pound or two of AA6 to duplicate 38 spl Buffalo Bore loads, then I realize I really don't want to shoot a bunch of those from my lightweight 38spl. I am bouncing back and forth way too much now that I have a chance to setup my loading room at our new house.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Blue Dot is a pretty clean powder, but you'll milk the maximum FPS out of powders like Lil Gun.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    My bro' shoots a long barreled 1873 with a case full of 777 and he loves it. Works better for him than black.
    He lives out by Waco and that's his house gun for whatever critters litter the landscape. Expecting a coyote report most any day now that his chickies are bigger and running loose.
    He has found that bullet design becomes important with respect to having lube grooves of adequate volume.
    If you have the carbine length barrel it's not so much of a problem.

Top Bottom