• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Guns are no longer registered at the state level, the only registration per say is at the original point of purchase, and then only for 3 years. There is no ownership registration anymore. You can run a 4473 a dozen times through different shops involving the same weapon and it will still only trace back to the original point of sale. Cops run a serial number with the manufacturer, manufacturer says it was sold to xxxx shop, shop says it was sold to xxxx person if it is within 3 years of the original sale, the buck stops there.

Where do you get this 3 year business? FFL's are required to keep their 4473's for the duration of the life of their business. Upon closure of business, the 4473's are sent to the ATF.

There is no registration at all. Like you said, the police or ATF can trace a gun from mfg to distributor to shop to original purchaser. They can keep going if the original purchaser has any info on their disposition of the gun, if they can be tracked down.

I've never heard of this 3 year talk. I believe an FFL can be made to retrieve ANY records relating to an investigation.

drewtitans

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    GEORGETOWN
    My apologies, I have edited and removed from the original post. I hate when things are posted that aren't researched or known fact, can't believe I did it myself. Thanks for correcting me on this one guys.

kbryant777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2014
    plainfield
    +1 for the FNX-45. JUST bought mine 3 weeks ago and only have 250rds through it, but love it so far. It's probably my favorite pistol I own now.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    HK SOCOM edition is nice weapon of choice. A little pricey, but lots of gun.

If by lots of gun you mean HUGE. The first time I saw one I couldn't believe the size of the thing. Definitely not a CC piece, but an awesome pistol.

IndyT0m

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Indianapolis
    For the money you can't beat a Remington 1911 R1. Great quality and Price. Probably one of the better made 1911's at any price. Of course if money is no object there is always Kimber.

ru6797

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Niles
    A Springfield is a good one to go with, I have heard some things about the RIA's, look online and go to 1911 reviews to check them out, I have 2 full size, a springfield loaded and s&w with rail, a springfield champion with 4 1/4 bbl, and a para with 3 1/2 bbl, all nice and shot great, but the one s shoot the must is my glock 21

ru6797

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Niles
    Just remember the one you go with do your research on it, everyone is making 1911's now it seems and a lot are nice and will work great, and every company will have some bad apples, and ask a lot of people if you are a member of a gun range or gun club ask around, good luck, there are so many sometimes it makes your head spin

gm652

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Seymour
    I found a Remington Rand US Army Govt issue M1911 for a good price. Installed a new Wilson combat barrel, hammer, sear and disconnector. Best gun I have ever owned

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    plenty of options, I've always mostly been a Springfield man myself, buy once and don't look back

zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    So the tax check is coming and I feel a .45 in my future.I have been wanting a 1911 but also would like to try a Glock(21sf) on for size.If I were to get the 1911,I don't intend to break the bank because I'm trying to stretch this tax check,I'm probably getting the Springfield G.I. model or the RIA as those are the closest to the original design as I can find and are in my price range.There is much causing on selling for the Glock but I like the little things you can get for them such as custom slide plates.If I get a 1911,I want it to be just like the one that the average G.I. would've carried with no beavertail,5" barrel,etc.Recommendations anyone?
    you can get a very cheap 45 cal 1911 kit at sarco.

Top Bottom