• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glocktime855

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    muncie
    Hey there I have a rra 458socom mid length upper! I wanting to put a rifle length handguard on it. I was told troy .936 low pro file gas block would work. However it is very tight so tight I would need to use a hammer to get it on! Any suggestions s thanks

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    Get a different gas block or a different rail. If you want to get risky you could skim a bit off the gas block and rail.

glocktime855

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    muncie
    Get a different gas block or a different rail. If you want to get risky you could skim a bit off the gas block and rail.

The rail will go over the gas block. Its the gas block on the barrel that just doesn't want to fitright I bought the .936 large I.D cause I was told it would fit. I don't have a cnc machine. I wonder if I took a dremel tool and little buy little take some off the gas block till it fits on barrel ?

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    Heat up the barrel (carefully) and freeze the gas block then tap it on (may have to use a brass punch), I had to do that on my AR build. Funny thing is once I got it on there I realized I put it on backwards...fail on my part.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Heat up the barrel (carefully) and freeze the gas block then tap it on (may have to use a brass punch), I had to do that on my AR build. Funny thing is once I got it on there I realized I put it on backwards...fail on my part.

Wait... wouldn't you freeze the barrel and heat up the gas block?

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Wait... wouldn't you freeze the barrel and heat up the gas block?

I agree. Gas block is too tight(small) so heat it up and expand it. Then freeze(shrink) the barrel as much as possible to see if you can get them to fit. Checking both with a micrometer would be wise, to insure it is even possible as temp will only move the metal so much. You don't want to have a ton of stress on the gas block once it is on the barrel.

glocktime855

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    muncie
    i took my mic to it not sure why but the gas block was more like .935 and believe it or not i tried the heating and shrinking (didnt work) i took my dremel very very carfully!!! it worked just fine thanks everyone for your help!!!

glocktime855

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    muncie
    Thanks. If I could say one thing rock river does a great job installing free float tube !! They had enough lock tight I had to heat the crap , out of it to get it off !! :rockwoot:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Thanks. If I could say one thing rock river does a great job installing free float tube !! They had enough lock tight I had to heat the crap , out of it to get it off !! :rockwoot:

I haven't changed mine, but on the 458 SOCOM forum, it's been said they use loctite by the 55 gallon drum and have a guy with tree trunks for arms tightening the tubes! The upper looks good. What are you going to run for optics?

glocktime855

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    muncie
    I haven't changed mine, but on the 458 SOCOM forum, it's been said they use loctite by the 55 gallon drum and have a guy with tree trunks for arms tightening the tubes! The upper looks good. What are you going to run for optics?

Well that is really my next thing I normally run eotech on my ar-15 i'm looking into aimpoint pro what you run??

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have a 1" Rock River mount with a 2-7x shotgun scope in it. It worked really well. I can dial the power down for thick brush or crank it up looking across fields... Or targets at the range.

Top Bottom