• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matthewquigley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    I'm looking for a 458 SOCOM upper. Thinking about it for deer. Any opinions/advice? Any idea where I can find one at a somewhat reasonable price?

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Rock River Arms, I think. I heard from a DNR officer that someone in Bloomfileld does do the work with 458 Socom. He asked if I knew that guy, I told him no. Because I don't and didn't get it from him. Check out Bloomfield area gunsmith maybe if you are lucky, you'd find him easily.

338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    If you don't reload, don't bother buyin one. I reload around 250 rounds. If I had to buy it at $3-$5 a round I would sell the gun. Same with my 500 S&W mag.

Regnar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Knox
    Look at the 358 Hoosier. Legal here now and far better ballistics than the SOCOM. I have the 458.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I agree about reloading, those rounds are expensive, I have around 200 rounds now. Even the casings are expensive to buy new. But 200 is all I could afford. if I made more money, I'd get more. But I haven't gone shooting for a while, maybe the next deer season?

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    You might want to look at the 450 bushmaster upper. You can buy the ammo retail for around $2 per round. Hornady makes the 450 Bushmaster 250 gr FTX® LEVERevolution®.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Can anyone tell me how much all of the equipment to reload 458 rds would be? Im interested in getting one but dont know if I could afford buying ammo and reloading seems like the only option. Ive never reloaded before but its something i'm going to try and get into just dont know where to start

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Can anyone tell me how much all of the equipment to reload 458 rds would be? Im interested in getting one but dont know if I could afford buying ammo and reloading seems like the only option. Ive never reloaded before but its something i'm going to try and get into just dont know where to start

Check with Andrew at Profire in Indy about getting started in reloading. He can price a starter set to get you going. He can also load your brass for you with whatever bullet you want. I had him load some cast bullets for the range and Hornady 325 gr. FTX that I hunted with last season. If you take one of his Reloading 101 classes, he will let you use his equipment to load your own until you can get your own equipment.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Check with Andrew at Profire in Indy about getting started in reloading. He can price a starter set to get you going. He can also load your brass for you with whatever bullet you want. I had him load some cast bullets for the range and Hornady 325 gr. FTX that I hunted with last season. If you take one of his Reloading 101 classes, he will let you use his equipment to load your own until you can get your own equipment.

Thanks Ill see what I can find and hopefully save up the money to get started this winter.

ddavies70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I reload the .458/.45/.223/5.56 the initial investment is pretty significant I probably spent about $1200 for everything just to start with the .458 brass, powder, bullets, etc... If you do a cost analysis it pays for itself quite quickly. Go to 458socomforums.com for ALOT of info on the .458 reloading.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I found it was cheaper all around to just buy a separate rifle in a traditional caliber unless you want to start reloading. :twocents:

(edit for clarity)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom