• ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    308fcy9.jpg
    suyd93.jpg
    2ic1evn.jpg

Here is my new AR. 458 SOCOM for deer hunting! Palmetto State Armory upper and lower, Magpul MOE lower assy kit, MOE carbine handguards and AFG, Tromix barrel, flash hider, and gas block, machine work from Palladin Machine in SC. Need to get it scoped and test fired! Had a lot of help from a co worker who built one last year. Watch out deer! I need some payback for my car and truck!!!! :cool:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Welcome to the SOCOM Club. Mine is absolutely my favorite deer gun. I liked the round so much, I had a savage short action rebarreled to a SOCOM. I took two deer with my AR, but struck out last season with the bolt gun. Let me know if you need some load data.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Nice looking rifle... What type of 'machining' are you referring to in your post?

Also, what type of ammo and source are you guys using for deer?

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Nice looking rifle... What type of 'machining' are you referring to in your post?

Also, what type of ammo and source are you guys using for deer?

The ejection port needs to be opened for the 458 socom to eject properly.

458_port_opening.jpg

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    As far as ammo goes, I'm still burning through some loads Andrew at ProFire assembled for me with Remington 300 gr. JHPs. He also loaded up some Hornady 325 gr. FTX that worked extremely well on the two deer I shot with my RRA mid length.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Yes the ejection port needs to be opened up. Of course you can buy a 458 SOCOM upper that is already to go but is extremely pricey. I got my upper and lower during PSA "sales" and then had it machined. It was way cheaper. I've seen a Wilson Combat 458 with billet upper and lower, a complete rifle the LGS guy quoted me $2899 for. I am nowhere near that. Really close to a regular AR in fact. I also got a standard front hand guard retainer ring and had it opened up to fit the larger .875 gas block dimension so I could use the carbine hand guards. Maybe I can get some glass for it during Bass Pro customer appreciation this weekend. There is 8x reward points on Nikon products!

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Nice rifle! It's hard to beat the PSA prices for the quality you get, and that Tromix barrel is top notch!

When you decide you're tired of all that noise when you're hunting, go see Boomstick at Orion Arms, they have some really nice Lane 458 suppressors.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Not to thread drift but... Is there any to the on-line arguing about who can and cannot 'officially' provide barrels or is this old news? It apparently had to do with the reamers.

Looking at either a .458 or .450 for deer season.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Read all that mumbo jumbo and all it came down to me was who had the parts in stock. Tromix had it available, W. Combat, out of stock for the foreseeable future. All I know is the Tromix parts I got were top notch! This set-up will seriously put a hurting on shot-gun deer hunting. Once you see one in action you will be hell bent to get your own! I will admit ammo is expensive but so are saboted shot-gun rounds. For an aging old vet like me the difference in recoil between a 12g and a 458 AR is worlds apart. I much prefer the AR! For the shots that I have taken deer hunting, the 458 is more than enough. I was leaning heavily towards a 44mag Handi-Rifle, but after shooting my friends 458 I decided right then that I was going to build one! Glad I did. Hopefully will get a range report up shortly!

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Read all that mumbo jumbo and all it came down to me was who had the parts in stock. Tromix had it available, W. Combat, out of stock for the foreseeable future. All I know is the Tromix parts I got were top notch! This set-up will seriously put a hurting on shot-gun deer hunting. Once you see one in action you will be hell bent to get your own! I will admit ammo is expensive but so are saboted shot-gun rounds. For an aging old vet like me the difference in recoil between a 12g and a 458 AR is worlds apart. I much prefer the AR! For the shots that I have taken deer hunting, the 458 is more than enough. I was leaning heavily towards a 44mag Handi-Rifle, but after shooting my friends 458 I decided right then that I was going to build one! Glad I did. Hopefully will get a range report up shortly!

Thanks. Looking forward to your rr. I'm looking at the recoil issue too. 12g is just too much for me anymore.

Airborne18th

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I have a 450 bushmaster and the recoil to me was between and 20 gauge and a 410. I got the 20 inch barrel which I am not sure I am happy about. I haven't hefted it through the woods yet. Padawan if recoil is what you are looking to avoid I would say a 44 mag is your best bet. I have wrung out many deer in Michigan with my 44 lever action. The 44 can be purchased in a lightened form like a Rossi single shot and ruger's carbine and their bolt action model

I like your rifle. Good luck this year.

democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    I just joined to socom club as well and couldn't be happier! Ideally what power scopes are you running for deer season? I keep debating this issue in my head and no one is winning, thought maybe someone could help give one side of my brain the edge...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Still kicking it around. Thinking of 3x9 x 40 or 50 maybe. Been looking at Leopold Still not sure. Kinda on hold due to a Hawaii vaca coming up. Don't want to cut myself short before my trip, probably won't get a scope till I return.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Yeah it's on the list. I plan on getting all the internals eventually but if finances are short, I will just pull needed items from my AR pistol and swap the bolts. I got enough to get her running. The scope is the thing right now.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I just joined to socom club as well and couldn't be happier! Ideally what power scopes are you running for deer season? I keep debating this issue in my head and no one is winning, thought maybe someone could help give one side of my brain the edge...

I debated for quite a while myself, at first I was planning on the Vortex Viper 1-4x24, Vortex Optics - Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ (MOA)<br />Capped, but ended up with the Vortex Viper 2.5-10x32 FFP/MOA, Vortex Optics - Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP EBR-1<br />(MOA).

My 458 is as much a range toy as a hunting rifle, so being able to dial for long distances, and return to zero with a zero stop, was a big plus for me.

42769vette was a huge help with getting me what I wanted, I can't recommend him enough! A&A Optics

Top Bottom