• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Using berrys 230gr RN unigue at 5.7gr. What would be a good OAL? Been doing 1.265 but was seeing a lot of variation on the inter web some as low as 1.170. Not so sure they where in regards to exact same bullet.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'm sure others will be along before I can give you any info, but when I get home from work I'll check what I've been running for oal with those same bullets

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Using berrys 230gr RN unigue at 5.7gr. What would be a good OAL? Been doing 1.265 but was seeing a lot of variation on the inter web some as low as 1.170. Not so sure they where in regards to exact same bullet.

Each firearm is different. That said I have ran mine at 1.20 OAL, 6.1gr CFE Pistol, CCI LPP, and 230gr Speer CPRN bullets. I'm having great success.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Just my two cents......

While I have a pile of reloading manuals, I like to get the $10 complete reloading books that are caliber specific. That just saves me from going from book to book looking up one caliber when it's all right there. Generally in those books you'll be able to quickly see the longest and shortest overall length for a variety of manufactured bullets in that weight. If you know your limits from too much or too little, then you can find out what works best in your gun. Personally I used to buy the caliber specific gauges to make sure everything was 100% where it should be, but now I just strip apart the pistol and use the barrel to see how well the round chambers. It's especially helpful to me in 45acp with 1911's. Hopefully this helps.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    All of these are 230gr round nose style bullets...

Hornady data for their FMJ-RN and LRN uses 1.210"
    They state that this oal is for "min-spec" chambers and that the oal may need to be lengthened to promote good feeding.

Sierra data for their FMJ uses 1.270"

Speer data for their TMJ-RN uses 1.260" and their LRN uses 1.270"

Hodgdon load data for a LRN uses 1.200"

Western/Accurate load data for your Berrys plated RN uses 1.237" and for a LRN uses 1.230" and for the Seierra FMJ uses 1.250" and 1.270"

Alliant load data for a coated RN uses 1.265" and for a FMJ uses 1.265"

Myself, I'm using 1.260" with Extreme and Berrys plated roundnosers.

Last edited:

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    If you are loading for a specific pistol, try measuring max length.
    Drop a bullet only into the barrel, measure from the hood to the back of the bullet.
    Then measure the bullet length. Add the measurements to determine max length for your pistol.
    It may be longer than max length listed for the 45 ACP.
    In this case load your rounds no longer than listed in the loading books as max length.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Start off with the Plunk Test.

Sometimes I begin by seating a test projectile into the case a little long, or a lot long. I'll dial the seating die a little (1/8th of a turn) at a time until I find something that doesn't stick in the rifling. Then, I make a new test case and projectile. Sometimes the crimp portion of the die messes with the seating portion.

You can also use your test case for finding out how long your OAL can be and still fit in the magazine.

Some round nose bullet profiles are pointier than others.

You can also make a home-made gauge for maximum length for any bullet profile.

Short version: (Drill Press, Vise and Tap required)

Drill and tap the primer pocket of a deprimed case. For 9mm I used a #10-32.
    Bell the case mouth only enough to let the projectile slide easily in and out.
    With a machine screw in the back of the case and your desired projectile sliding in and out the front, load the whole mess into the breech of your barrel.
    Push the case in until it stops and keep it held firmly with your fingers.
    Screw the machine screw into the case until it pushes the projectile into the lands.
    When you feel the case being pushed out of the breech, stop. Fiddle around back and forth with the screw until you are certain the case is fully inserted into the chamber.
    Remove the case without turning the screw.
    The projectile might be stuck in the barrel and require a little push to get it out.
    Insert the retrieved projectile into the case until it touches the end of the screw.
    Take an OAL measurement.
    Perform several times for repeatability.

Different bullet profiles give different results.

For 45 I also run 1.25" for everything.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I’d humbly suggest that you start with standard procedures as stated herein and do “plunk tests” repeatedly until you find the correct measurement for your particular chamber/barrel.

Top Bottom