• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mluker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Hey guys. Looking for some ideas here. I will be starting up the pistol program in Steuben county 4H again next winter. It will be kids ranging from 9 up to teens. We will be shooting air pellet pistols most of the year, but I am hoping to be able to get a few .22 pistols that the club can use. The main problem is kids get bored. They can't shoot paper every meeting. So, I want to have some fun with it. We will be shooting lit candles and swinging targets, but I still need more ideas! The pellet shoots are indoors, but I am putting a range in at my place. If anyone has any ideas on things to try, please let me know. :dunno:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Hey guys. Looking for some ideas here. I will be starting up the pistol program in Steuben county 4H again next winter. It will be kids ranging from 9 up to teens. We will be shooting air pellet pistols most of the year, but I am hoping to be able to get a few .22 pistols that the club can use. The main problem is kids get bored. They can't shoot paper every meeting. So, I want to have some fun with it. We will be shooting lit candles and swinging targets, but I still need more ideas! The pellet shoots are indoors, but I am putting a range in at my place. If anyone has any ideas on things to try, please let me know. :dunno:
    Balloons. Blow them up, and let them hang. If there is a breeze it would take a little more skill to hit.

Water jugs filled with colored water. Start at the top, and only shoot at the water. Your target constantly gets smaller.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    for the .22 get a few cases of generic samschoice soda, fanta, or whatever is cheap. ;)

The little green plastic army guys are fun too.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    You might consider some airsoft pistols.. Maybe a little cheaper and/or a little more realistic than some pellet pistols..

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why not do your own bowling pin shoot, but instead of pins, use ping pong balls or something.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    If you have a place that the mess will not damage, paint balls are a fun reactive target for a pellet gun kinda small, but very satisifying when you finally hit one. Get some of those extra large diameter drinking straws, drill the same size holes about 2 inches apart in a 2x4, (make the board as long or short as you like), stick one end of the straw in the hole, and set a paint ball on the other end. 3 layers of close weave carpeting hung over a frame makes a good back stop. Straws that are hit can easily be replaced, and one of those cheap plastic tarps on the ground will help -w- clean up.

wolfman
    4-H ML Instructor

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Hey, if you can throw a saltine more than a couple of feet, then I bow down to your excellence.

Hey, don't discount close in shotgun defense training. You ever disturb a nest of a small pissed off bird? The battle is in close and frantic. Much like shooting crackers in close.

But everyone know that you shoot Ritz. I mean, only round crackers work in the little throwers.:lmfao:

mluker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Man... those are awesome ideas! I probably use all of them in class. I gotta make it fun for the kids, so they continue to enjoy firearms. Who knows, maybe convert some parents over from the Anti side!

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Man... those are awesome ideas! I probably use all of them in class. I gotta make it fun for the kids, so they continue to enjoy firearms. Who knows, maybe convert some parents over from the Anti side!

We all expect to see a report now and then on how the kids liked the ideas, along with some pics.:gotpics:

mluker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Don't tell me that! You guys will be overloaded with pics from our shooting sports program! The kids love it and so do us "adults"! LOL! But I will keep you informed and drop a few pics in here. And, BTW, we are always looking for kids in Steuben county to join the program!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    you might try the "game" targets. playing card targets, dart board targets, there are many and seem to keep the fun factor high. also, a post shoot. put a chunk of 2x2 in the ground and shoot it in half. make it a race. small steel targets are also good for the kids.
    i take boy scouts out shooting and the steel is a big hit.

and thanks for volunteering your time for the youth. i find it very satisfying, frustrating at times, but satisfying. i'll be taking 32 boys to summer camp next week and will be the only adult there that can stay all week. may need to take a mental health day when it's all over. hehe.

mluker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    you might try the "game" targets. playing card targets, dart board targets, there are many and seem to keep the fun factor high. also, a post shoot. put a chunk of 2x2 in the ground and shoot it in half. make it a race. small steel targets are also good for the kids.
    i take boy scouts out shooting and the steel is a big hit.

and thanks for volunteering your time for the youth. i find it very satisfying, frustrating at times, but satisfying. i'll be taking 32 boys to summer camp next week and will be the only adult there that can stay all week. may need to take a mental health day when it's all over. hehe.
    If I was in your area, I'd be the first to offer you a nice stiff drink when you get back from that trip! LMAO!! :cheers: 32 boys at camp. Good luck getting any sleep!!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    If I was in your area, I'd be the first to offer you a nice stiff drink when you get back from that trip! LMAO!! :cheers: 32 boys at camp. Good luck getting any sleep!!

sleep? what's that? seriously, i do this trip every year, and have a ball. the key is delegating to my assistant leaders. hehe. it's good to be king. hehe.

if i can help with your program, drop me a pm. i teach scouts pistol, rifle and shotgun and might have more tips for you.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    GSC1201.jpg

A gun writer for one of the big gun mags. once suggested these as challenging, colorful, and biodegradable targets. :thumbsup:
    :cheers:

Top Bottom