• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    In any case, one needs to pay actual attention to the real payload and real towing load. It adds up.

Real world example:
    - My trailer weighs approx. 1200#
    - my Jeep weighs approx. 4500# "wet" (full of fuel, and all normal accessories)
    - so, total trailer weight of 5700#
    - tongue weight is around 570# if I load it right (10%)
    - add in tools, water (I carry about 10 gallons with me for various reasons), camping stuff, cooler, etc... for another 250# plus
    - add in my, my wife, kiddo, and any other random crap for XXXX# (weight withheld in case my wife sees this)

Trailer weight = 5700#
    Payload weight = around 1000-1200# (tongue weight plus stuff)

My old 1500 series had a max payload of 1600# and max trailer of 7900#. So, I was well withing capacity, but somewhere around the 75%. You could DEFINITELY tell. Lots of downshifting to maintain speed. Hard stops made you pucker. You could really feel the trailer back there.

My current 2500 series has a max payload of 3200# and a max trailer of 14,000#. I'm now 1/2 of max payload and towing. It is easy to forget the trailer is back there. I regularly cruise in overdrive, and I'm more worried about my load shifting in a panic stop that actually stopping in time.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    In any case, one needs to pay actual attention to the real payload and real towing load. It adds up.

Real world example:
    - My trailer weighs approx. 1200#
    - my Jeep weighs approx. 4500# "wet" (full of fuel, and all normal accessories)
    - so, total trailer weight of 5700#
    - tongue weight is around 570# if I load it right (10%)
    - add in tools, water (I carry about 10 gallons with me for various reasons), camping stuff, cooler, etc... for another 250# plus
    - add in my, my wife, kiddo, and any other random crap for XXXX# (weight withheld in case my wife sees this)

Trailer weight = 5700#
    Payload weight = around 1000-1200# (tongue weight plus stuff)

My old 1500 series had a max payload of 1600# and max trailer of 7900#. So, I was well withing capacity, but somewhere around the 75%. You could DEFINITELY tell. Lots of downshifting to maintain speed. Hard stops made you pucker. You could really feel the trailer back there.

My current 2500 series has a max payload of 3200# and a max trailer of 14,000#. I'm now 1/2 of max payload and towing. It is easy to forget the trailer is back there. I regularly cruise in overdrive, and I'm more worried about my load shifting in a panic stop that actually stopping in time.

perfect example.

and many forget other stuff in/on the truck, eg dealer-installed bed liner and my cap take about 300lb of my 1/2-ton's payload, not to mention tools, jumper cables etc etc that I keep in there all the time.

campers often end up being considerably more than 10% on the tongue (which is good for stability), because that's where the battery & propane tanks are installed, and usually up front is where the storage areas are, too....

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Gas mileage can be a very minimal issue depending on what you buy. These newer 4x4 vehicles arent like the old days. They are making some very big strides.
    The difference between my wifes car (on their calculator) and my 4x4 to florida for in gas was only like $50 if I remember right. That's nothing for all you get with a 4x4. That of coarse isnt pulling a load.

yea, towing an gas mileage don't even belong in the same sentence. I get about 8.5 mpg @ ~67 mph towing mine. Jumps to about 12 mpg if I can keep it to 55, which is ok for short trips, but not if I want to get several states away. :laugh:

If towing and mileage are both a concern, then you need to look @ diesel.

-rvb

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Ryan is the man, he knows his stuff.

A 2wd towing capacity is more than a 4wd, but not worth sacrificing the 4wd for. Go with the 4wd.

If going to Alaska I would go at least a 2500 truck, it is a long ride up there with a truck which is struggling. I have Ford, GM and Dodge trucks here at the dealership and nothing pulls like the Fords. The Dodges have the power under the hood, however their rear suspensions are weaker than Ford, for this reason we use the Fords to haul anything of decent size. I use the GMC for getting mulch and stuff like that. If driving a dually doesnt bother you, this is the way to go. Duallys pulling campers drive like a dream, no sway at all. The extra spent on a dually is well worth it.

Remember too, the longer the truck, the nicer the ride. I always tell people long beds are the way to go, they will ride so much smoother. Besides, if you go with a fifth wheel you will need a long bed truck.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I thought I'd report back. I pulled the trigger on a 2018 F-150 XLT Supercab with 5.5 ft. bed and selectable 4 WD. It has the tow package with brake controllers and backing aid. One consideration that I didn't mention is that I wanted to be able to garage the truck. I can squeeze this baby in and close the door. I installed a tri-fold Lomax bed cover. Thanks all for the advice. Now for a small travel trailer. If possible, I'm going to rent one before buying. Of course I need to break in this truck!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I thought I'd report back. I pulled the trigger on a 2018 F-150 XLT Supercab with 5.5 ft. bed and selectable 4 WD. It has the tow package with brake controllers and backing aid. One consideration that I didn't mention is that I wanted to be able to garage the truck. I can squeeze this baby in and close the door. I installed a tri-fold Lomax bed cover. Thanks all for the advice. Now for a small travel trailer. If possible, I'm going to rent one before buying. Of course I need to break in this truck!

:yesway:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My good friend just got a new truck..... new F350 super crew long bed dually diesel FX4. I’m seldom jealous of others, but that struck a cord!
    I got to drive it yesterday. Ooooooooooo
    -rvb

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My good friend just got a new truck..... new F350 super crew long bed dually diesel FX4. I’m seldom jealous of others, but that struck a cord!
    I got to drive it yesterday. Ooooooooooo
    -rvb
    That sounds like a monster truck. That would haul anything with ease, coast to coast! Don't get that new truck fever! There is a cure but it is very, very expensive!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom