• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Anyone been to this zoo and seen what separates the animals from the people on the sidewalk? Many of the zoo's I've been to recently have Plexiglas or pretty much a good barrier between the people and the public. I have seen part of the video that makes me say the zoo made the right choice, but perhaps a better barrier would prevent anything in the future. Until I know more about the parent(s), I can't blame them wholly yet either. Even looking at your phone for 10 seconds, a child can disappear (or having to deal with other kid issues of your own).

KobeBeefKatana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    Westfield
    Another example of people putting an animals life before the life of a human. I'm sure the child falling in could be blamed on a 100 different things but the simple fact is that no one knew what this animal was going to do. Congrats to the Zoo for making the right decision and putting it down before any life threatening injuries to the child occurred. But then again, maybe it "identified" as a human and we are looking at this all wrong...smh

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I haven't seen the video. I don't know that I need to. The choice between an animals life and a human child's life is an easy one. Even if a stupid action of a human caused it. I would not have risked the child's live for even one more second. Yes it's sad to see an animal put down but it's better to see a human child live longer. The child cause the animals death. If there are repercussions for the animals death it should fall on the family. Not the shooter or the person that make that decision.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Bad situation, good shoot. If you think there is a stink about shooting the gorilla, imagine the ****storm that would be happening if they didn't kill the gorilla and the gorilla killed the child.

The zoo was screwed as soon as the kid landed in the water. They did a good job keeping it from turning out even worse. Besides, the gorilla belonged to the zoo in the first place. It's not like they went out and shot someone else's gorilla.

As to the suitability of the enclosure, children, like goats, are hard to fence.

That was my thinking. This was very much a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. The people that are upset with the gorilla being killed are probably the same group that practically ruined the career of the dentist that shot the lion awhile back. Never mind that the villagers there were very happy to be rid of the lion. If the zoo personnel had chosen to attempt to tranquilize the gorilla and before it took effect, the child were killed or injured, I suspect these same people would have crucified them for that decision as well.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It's also interesting to note that, not long ago, there was considerable criticism leveled at the zoo in Florida for NOT shooting a tiger that had mauled a keeper.

They tranquilized the tiger and waited some minutes before they could rescue the woman, who later died from blood loss.

In many situations that reach the public eye, you are truly damned if you do and damned if you don't.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Lovely how they now released the name of the mom/dad and are highlighting dad's criminal past. No matter that he appears to have changed and is gainfully employed and doing upstanding dad things like taking his kids to the zoo.

Top Bottom