• MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Check out this link
    M10 5.45 AK74 Rifle Side Folder

Nobody has mentioned them and they seem to be a new appearance on the AK market. Seen goods reviews from a couple places though and at an all around respectable price for a non"sporterized" one.
    Here's my review of the M10-545, I also have a M10-22 that is fun.
    AK47 Talk: M10-545 Review Part 1: First Impressions

AK47 Talk: M10-545 Review Part 2: Range Report

Here is another blogger that got a lemon, apparently though Atlantic has only had a few returns on the M10 series and it far less than the rate they have on Century rifles. I do think they are a notch up from WASRs, but only just so. The real value in the M10 is the accessories like the Hogue grip, RPK rear, Draco gas block (which to do something like that normally is a big bucks Bolton or Krebs block install).
    AK47 Talk: Tale of the Lemon M10-545

5.45 will stay cheap for awhile as long as 7N6 stays. That will be probably at least a year or two. After it dries up, there should be enough rifles in country and Russian imports will still be allowed to offer commercial Russian (Wolf, Bear, etc.) loads at the same prices as 7.62x39 and 5.56mm. Also you have Hornady loading a V-Max 5.45, which is my home defense round. Maybe somebody domestic will also pick them up (although I think Hornady uses Russian cases so it isn't pure U.S. made). AK74 mags right now are getting really dicey, I've been forced to pick up a few Tapcos for range use, but I still have some good sanitized Russian plum mags, a ((10)), and nice E Germans. If I didn't have those already I'd be a in a little bit of a jam if I got a 5.45 rifle today and getting quality mags.

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    I'm starting to simply lean towards the Saiga simply because of cost at this point. Since the non-saiga magazines would transfer over to another AK if I decided to "upgrade" or something after testing this out.

Cleaning the gun after shooting is something I'd do anyway although I do hope they come up with some other mass produced modern 5.45 options other then Bear, Wolf or Tula.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I'm starting to simply lean towards the Saiga simply because of cost at this point. Since the non-saiga magazines would transfer over to another AK if I decided to "upgrade" or something after testing this out.

Cleaning the gun after shooting is something I'd do anyway although I do hope they come up with some other mass produced modern 5.45 options other then Bear, Wolf or Tula.
    Converting a Saiga is still a great option and a fun project. You end up with a great rifle in the long run. But there are little things I don't like that is a trade off compared to say an M10-545. The use of screws for the trigger guard and bullet guide instead of rivets for most users. Threading the barrel is gonna to take you removing the sleeve and buying/borrowing a die, wrench, and TAT and use end up without a plunger pin. You end up with a non-standard handguard unless you want to spend a lot more money. The Saiga paint is pretty weak.

These are all minor details but I still think things you should weigh in, plus the time and tools needed to do the job. Do I think that a converted Saiga has better overall quality than a M10, yes, but there are some non-traditional aspects you end up adding in the long run of converting a Saiga. It all comes down to what you personally want out of it.

Note that commercial Russian stuff is not corrosive, just the surplus 7N6.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Figured I would put this here, given the topic of discussion.

I have been looking into getting something in 5.45x39, and I have read that the Saiga's DO accept standard AK-74 magazines without any modifications. This would be a big plus for me.....if I could just get one, and go ahead and buy magazines and shoot it for awhile, and then convert it later when I have more money...I would like that idea.

So can anybody confirm or deny functionality of AK74 magazines in an unconverted, (NO bullet guide,) Saiga 5.45x39.

Alternatively, how hard, (and how expensive,) is it to utilize standard AK74 magazines in one?

Thanks!

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

I have been looking into getting something in 5.45x39, and I have read that the Saiga's DO accept standard AK-74 magazines without any modifications. This would be a big plus for me.....if I could just get one, and go ahead and buy magazines and shoot it for awhile, and then convert it later when I have more money...I would like that idea.

So can anybody confirm or deny functionality of AK74 magazines in an unconverted, (NO bullet guide,) Saiga 5.45x39.

Alternatively, how hard, (and how expensive,) is it to utilize standard AK74 magazines in one?

Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they accept regular AK74 mags without conversion.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Hmm. Google-fu has returned a lot of results that say "Yes, it works fine," or "Works except for the last round in the mag." Just wondering before I start spending money.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville

Thanks!
    Kinda, Saiga 5.45x39 conversion I did had to have the mag latch filed down to accept AK mags. Saiga rear mag lugs are thinner plus they have their own built in "guide" at the front. Yes, sometimes people find that a bullet guide isn't 100% necessary with 74 mags, but I would want a bullet guide. A bullet guide doesn't cost that much more for a little bit of piece of mind, however the trunnion can be a b*tch to drill and as always you gotta to be careful tapping it.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've got a .223 Saiga that I converted. The hardest part was cutting off the rear tang for an ACE folder mechanism (not necessary, but that's what I wanted). I didn't bother to convert the front sight block or thread the barrel. I'm using aftermarket magazines made for the Saiga which work fine without the bullet guide. Since I don't need a ton of magazines for this rifle, my solution has worked out just fine, so far. YMMV (Also, if you want magazine capacity, there's a 100 rd double-drum model out there for the Saiga .223)

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

Thanks!

My 5.45 Saiga took surplus AK mags right out of the box. No grinding on the latch required. You will hear reports that the 5.45 saiga will run with those mags without the bullet guide, but not at 100%.

Either way, it really is a moot point as the 922(r) requirements are that you must have 10 or less foreign parts in order to run the high capacity magazines. So even if you COULD just slap one in and go, you would be illegal to do so.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    My 5.45 Saiga took surplus AK mags right out of the box. No grinding on the latch required. You will hear reports that the 5.45 saiga will run with those mags without the bullet guide, but not at 100%.

Either way, it really is a moot point as the 922(r) requirements are that you must have 10 or less foreign parts in order to run the high capacity magazines. So even if you COULD just slap one in and go, you would be illegal to do so.

Thank you. Possibly the 922r bs was making me think the mags wouldn't work.:yesway:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If you are referring to the Polish Tantal's, I've heard many reports of the wrong barrels being installed after import, and causing incredibly bad keyholing issues. I'd rather avoid them if I could...

But thank you for chiming in!

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    thanks for the continued advice for sure. I'm holding off a bit because I want to pick up a Mosin but I'm pretty set on something in 5.45 in the fall. Hopefully the 5.45 is still easy to come by and maybe some new mags will pop up by then ...

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    If you are referring to the Polish Tantal's, I've heard many reports of the wrong barrels being installed after import, and causing incredibly bad keyholing issues. I'd rather avoid them if I could...

But thank you for chiming in!

they weren't imported, they were assembled by Century using polish kits, with us receivers and barrels. The original issue was a 5.56 bore for the 5.45 barrels, which as you can imagine didn't work very well. The issue has been corrected though, but there are used ones out there that were never fixed. So you have to be sure that the one your looking at doesnt have the problem. Other than they they are really pretty decent rifles.

boomboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2009
    they weren't imported, they were assembled by Century using polish kits, with us receivers and barrels. The original issue was a 5.56 bore for the 5.45 barrels, which as you can imagine didn't work very well. The issue has been corrected though, but there are used ones out there that were never fixed. So you have to be sure that the one your looking at doesnt have the problem. Other than they they are really pretty decent rifles.
    Why do we keep giving century our money. All the dumb crap they have done and given us.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Why do we keep giving century our money. All the dumb crap they have done and given us.

Well, despite that, there really aren't many options for budget-priced imports of the sort they give.

My WASR functions fine, as do many others from them. They have issues; and definitely more so than most. But you'll be hard pressed to find a member of this site who owns AK's who didn't start out with a Century product at some point.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    AK

And FYI, if you want to do a full on conversion including the front end, you might consider saving up for an Arsenal SGL.

:yesway: +100 and you can find a used one for 600 -700 but they are climbing every few months it seems from my perspective.

My two cents is Save and get what you want. I went thru 2 AK's before I realized I wanted an SGL in the first place. Not sayin you want an SGL just sayin:D:ar15::patriot::popcorn:

Top Bottom