• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    I got one of these delivered from Cabela's for a bit under $177 (their pre-Christmas sale - took almost a month to fill the backorder). I was impressed by the lightness of the trigger, but not by the creep and overtravel in it.

IMG_20140125_161853_290.jpg

So, I got out Cumpston and Bates' percussion revolvers book (they have a new one going to be released soon) and a Fadala book on gunsmithing blackpowder stuff and tore the thing completely down today. I started off by chamfering the chambers a teensy bit (used my Lee Chamfer Deburring Tool - I'm not sure I should admit that), as I'd read some pretty good arguments that the guns shoot better if one does this. Then I looked at the internal parts.

The hand was kind of horrific looking: scabie-looking, with a prominent ridge and all manner of lumps and burrs. The hammer and bolt were so-so, with some burrs and ridges, and the trigger looked pretty remarkably clean.

IMG_20140125_161626_451.jpg

I used some of cheap-o Harbor Freight diamond files to kill the ridges, then used my Lansky stones to dress everything kinda flat (a little worried about the full-cock notch, since my stone didn't really want to go in there right and my Italian fratelli had left me burrs on both corners of it), then used the Lansky sapphire stone to polish it up a bit. Cleaned everything, degreased the entire gun, re-oiled with Ballistol (did the bore with bore butter after warming the barrel), buttered the nipples and reinstalled them, then put the innards back together.

IMG_20140125_161637_422.jpg

The trigger was remarkably improved: no creep, just crisp. It took me a little while to realize I'd put the trigger spring in wrong (it hadn't grabbed the trigger, so the gun only wanted to cock properly when it was pointed down), but once I got that fixed, I was in business.

IMG_20140125_161744_355.jpg

Triple7 just kicks butt. :) Cleaning after the range too two whole patches to clean (three more to lube afterward), and I probably was being frivolous with that second patch.

It delivers the mail, too.

It was gorgeous at the ABQ City Range (5950'>sea level) last Sunday. 52 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, only a slight breeze - just lovely. Ten-minute relays are a little short for shooting percussion revolvers, but I got into the swing of it.

First thing I learned is that this gun likes CCI #10s, not #11s. The bigger ones kept falling off. Okey-doke.

I started with 35-gr of 3F 777, compacted it with a Wonder Wad that I put a little extra Crisco atop, then dropped a 135-gr Cabela's ball on it and packed it down pretty good.

IMG_20140126_131753_649.jpg

I wasn't surprised to find only decent accuracy with the 35-grain load. Here's a group at 10 yards, the POA being the bottom of the dot.

IMG_20140126_133209_865.jpg

Velocities were all that I'd hoped with the hotshot powder: M 1120 fps/S46.78/D 20.27

I was amused to find a Wonder Wad embedded in the target.

IMG_20140126_135506_541.jpg

Anyhow, I dropped it back five grains. With 30 grains of 777, I lost surprisingly little velocity and picked up some accuracy. And a heck of a lot more smoke, for some reason I can't discern.

IMG_20140126_141444_313.jpg

M 1109/S 76.94/D 30.16

Just for kicks, I tried some .457 balls. They were notably more difficult to seat, and less accurate than either of the .454 charge combos. Still choking levels of smoke.

M 1045/S 32.78/D 12.88

IMG_20140126_141549_226.jpg

The gun cleaned up very well, as I noted. I dropped the metal parts in the toaster oven and, when it was hot, glopped bore butter down the barrel and greased the chambers with the stuff. Ballistol all over everything and into the sleeve until next time. :)

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Got their 1851 Navy brass frame during the Cabelas Christmas sale. Haven't shot it yet, but it looks darn fun.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Although the .454 balls may or may not perform better, I've found that the .451 balls fit my Pietta Remingtons just right and may also be easier to ram, especially with those 5.5" sheriff models that have a shorter ram handle.
    And some folks will use a small section of plastic or metal pipe as a ram handle extension for better leverage.
    I also have some extra cylinders which get loaded off the frame by using a cylinder loading press like the one that can be found at Powder Inc:

Cap and Ball Cylinder Loader at Black Dawge Cartridge

I'm fortunate to live near a Cabela's to be able to hand pick C&B revolvers that have a decent trigger right out of the box.
    Very nice report. Thanks for sharing. :)

Last edited:

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Huh for the money I might be interesting.

ANd question, for a quality range, how much would a repro springfield or enfield or an equivalent european musket of the era cost

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Huh for the money I might be interesting

I saw that exact phrase tatooed on a stripper one time....:):

To the OP I had two Pietta (full size) that I converted to .45 Long Colt and like you I was very impressed with the accuracy...The tolerances on an 1858 are tight as a drum and I had to wipe down the cylinders after I went through a cylinder...very nice weapons and a favorite of Buffalo Bill Cody....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom