5.56 AK - Who has one? Looking for input.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Do you like it? How does it run? Which one do you have? Do you prefer it to a 7.62x39 AK?

I'm really wanting to replace the empty AK slot in my collection, but I think I'd prefer to have one in 5.56mm since I already stock a lot of that.

I have a couple of concerns though - do they feature the same 'AK reliability'? Are they easy enough to buy parts for? They don't seem to be as common as a regular AK.

I do intend to SBR and suppress this gun, so do you have any recommendations for a host platform? Also, anyone have experience getting a SBR 5.56 suppressed AK to run?

Last edited:

Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    My cousin has a 5.56/.223 saiga and it runs great. I don't think he has had any reliability issues, but not as accurate of a platform as the AR.

I'm not an expert (I'm sure one will weigh in) but I think most 5.56 AK's are standard 74's (5.45) with a 5.56 barrel and different mags. So parts aren't an issue

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have an Arsenal, I have never had a problem with it. I bought it for the same reason you are considering it.
    Ammo commonality. The only negative I can say about them, mags are kind of expensive compared to 7.62 mags.

Arsenal SLR 106 FR

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Do you like it? How does it run? Which one do you have? Do you prefer it to a 7.62x39 AK?

I have two; a full-size AK-74 style Saiga conversion done by Armory USA "back in the day," and an Arsenal SLR-106UR "Krinkov". I have previously owned an Arsenal SLR-106FR, as well. No function issues with any of them.

The Saiga conversion is unique in that it can run Arsenal Code 10 "waffle" type 5.56 AK mags, lightly modified Galil Orlite mags, or metal "Weiger" 5.56 AK mags.

Are they easy enough to buy parts for? They don't seem to be as common as a regular AK.

They can be more difficult to get specific parts for, atlhough in some cases the corresponding parts for a 5.45 or 7.62 gun can work or be made to work. The other issue is, there is even more difference between 5.56 AKs of different origins than there is with 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 guns. That is, parts for a Chinese rifle may not fit a Bulgarian, etc.

Good luck!

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I have a saiga .223 that is waiting conversion...and two home builds ...ones a tantal based beryl clone and the other is a ak102 build off a kvar 23mm barrel (uses 7.62 akm components) both run fine in testing firing but both are far from complete. ... parts avaiblity is gonna depend on the country of origin...a ak74 converts as easy as a barrel change... a true .223/5.56 build uses mostly AKM/AK47 parts but use a bolt that has a spring loaded firing pin... however far as avaiblitly i they are here to stay and while there not as common as others calibers its a common export caliber for nato countries by all the big dogs.... its not terribily hard to find the parts now and its only to get easier....they use mostly common parts now the bigger issue is educating your self to know what parts could be used as replacement parts...

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I was really considering the Yugo M85 with the modified mag well that accepts AR-15 magazines. Anyone used one of those?

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Yup, I have one of those. Got the pistol and SBR'd it. It runs great, but there is an issue with Magpul mags when the mag empties (actually the shape of the followers) although not a big deal. I can explain more if you're interested.

M85_Extended_Right_1_zps93fab6d9.jpg

M85_Folded_Left_1_zpsf8888a7b.jpg

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I really though hard about this a year or two ago, I wanted an slr 106fr in a bad way. In the end I just grabbed another AR in a config I wanted, and used the box of mags I already had. I still think it's a cool idea though.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm a big AK fan, but I've never been able to warm up to the 556 ones. I ended up going with a Sig 556 instead, and was surprisingly happy with it. You get to use your AR mags and get that AK ruggedness & reliability, out of a more modern take on Kalishnikov's masterpiece.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have always enjoyed taking my SAR-3 to the range. Very accurate and very reliable. Also enjoy my Norinco 84S-1 which also is "AK reliable" as well as the most accurate AKM variant that I own.

Unfortunately .223/5.56x45 AK variants do not enjoy the same mag availability that come with the 7.62x39. With the 7.62x39, any steel factory mag from any country will work in any rifle. Not so with the .223 as there never was a standard. Many times a mag can be adapted, like the AK-74 mags can be modified to work, but for the most part mags can get very expensive.

Example, these days the Wieger mags that I paid $15 for when I first bought the SAR-3 (the mag the rifle was designed to use) are now nearing $50. Same with the 84S mags, near and over $50. Poly Tech .223 mags, also specific to that rifle are currently over $100!!!

If you can find a .223 variant you like, and enough mags to make you happy, they are really nice shooters that US ammo that is current with the NATO and US military issue ammo.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Beryl. It's very well built and is the semi auto variant of the Polish Army's current weapon, so yes, it's very reliable. (duh - it's an AK!)

Most of the parts are interchangable - there's plenty of magazines and accessories available.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My only AK is an Arsenal SLR106F that I love very, very, much...Same as fellow river rat fordtough I bought it for the ammo compatibility with my AR's...Mags can be pricey but so what???? I see guys pay $35 plus for extra mags for their pistols and never bat an eye....Those circle 1o magazines are sweet and will live for quite some time.....

What I like about the 106F is that it is the semi auto version of Bulgaria's current NATO AK...Not a put together 5.56 AK but a genuine Lady Gaga "I was born this way" 5.56 AK.....5.56 AK's make my mouth water......

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    The Polish Beryl, known as the Archer here in the states is awesome. I have never had any problems with it and there are plenty of surplus items for it. It would be a good choice.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have a VEPR in .223/5.56 and my only complaint is that with the heavy VEPR barrel the rifle is very heavy, almost to the point of making it impractical. Other than that it is a great rifle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I built a Bulgy AK 74 with a AK Builder 5.56 barrel using all standard 74 parts. I got a couple of circle 10 5.56 mags and it ran flawlessly! I have since upgraded to the Magpul forend and the folding stock. I must say it is my new favorite piece! Love how it shoots and the shot groups were really tight!

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I built a Yugo M95 from a kit and it works just fine. I also have a M85 pistol that takes the ar mags and I plan to dismantle it and build a side folding sbr that takes the original Yugo magazines on a different receiver. I don't dislike either of them compared to other AK's. Their just as reliable.

Chuck

Leed709

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    I too have a Polish Beryl Archer. This rifle has a non folding stock but the stock is adjustable for length. Mags are easy to find. Also I have a Russian RPK in 5.56 so the mags and ammo can be changed between my Archer and my RPK.

Top Bottom