• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kaforgey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Camden
    Hey INGo, I have a question. I bought a few boxes of Hornady TAP 5.56 ammo and I was looking at the boxes tonight and realized that it says to shoot out of a barrel with a 1 in 9 twist or faster. I have a Colt Match Target AR with 1 in 7 twist. Would I be ok to shoot the ammo through my rifle? Thanks for your time.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    You're in luck! The 1:7 twist is considered a 'faster' twist since that barrel has a full rotation in 7 inches. That will spin the bullet faster than the 1:9 barrel that makes a full rotation in 9 inches. :yesway:

kaforgey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Camden
    Thank you for clearing that up for me! As I was ponding the situation, I figured that the 1 in 7 twist was faster but concluded that with my luck that I would blow up gun.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It won't blow up your gun. What they are getting at is that a lot of old ARs/M-16s/ and bolt 223 guns had really slow twists: 1/10-1/14. Those probably won't stabilize the 75gr heads.

Your 9-twist tube should do just fine. Some 1/9s like heavies, some don't (mine likes 52s, go figure).

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    FRom ym limited :D experience:

The 75gr "tap" is loaded warm enough to stabilize in most 1:9, ANY 1:7s
    The component V-max bullet, not so much, gotta load it hot to do any real fun.

I used to stock up on the 75gr stuff when I was an AR nut. My practice load was: (please work up, do not use at face value, YMMV, etc...)
    23gr AA2230
    75gr Prvi JHP

Replicated the Hornady load :) The Prvi component, even loaded at min, stabilized in various 1:9 I have fired them through. :)

Top Bottom