• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Sometimes. It's something that can be expected, but it's not something that happens with every gun. If it does, the results are all over the place. For example, my 223 barrel is a 3/4 inch poi shift low. My 6.5 grendel is 2 inches low with the same suppressor.

Alan said something about a 15 moa change....

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The only consistency across the suppressor world is the inconsistency. Given a group of 10 people with the same item, odds are you’ll get 10 different experiences, results, and opinions

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    If size matters I don't think you can beat a Witt machine canooter. On my 11.5 shooting 556 it's as quiet as a 17hmr. It is small

So you like the sound of this can? I couldn't believe they would work at all.

Have you ever shot it inside? I would consider one because of the length if it didn't blast the eardrums bouncing all the sound off walls.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

Have you ever shot it inside? I would consider one because of the length if it didn't blast the eardrums bouncing all the sound off walls.

Ray from TBAC stated that according to the Pulse meter that at ear dbs don't change whether indoors or outdoors

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

I've only shot it on my 10.5 and it's pleasant without hearing protection. Obviously a can with more volume will supress better, but this is more about keeping the ergonomics and handling of a shorter bbl pdw than quiet

Shooting comfortably indoors is more a product of reduced pressure than sound. A good 3 prong flash hider vs a ported brake, this can is better than a flash hider at reducing felt pressure.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Ray from TBAC stated that according to the Pulse meter that at ear dbs don't change whether indoors or outdoors

Personal experience tells me that this is inaccurate. And honestly the physical nature of sound as a pressure wave makes it clear that a confined space will increase the decibel level.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’d always recommend a 30 cal can. Because of the process, whether you think you will or not, now you’ll be able to fire 6mm, 7mm, 30 cal, etc etc through the same can. 30 cal can on a 223 is not noticeably different than a 223 can on a .223

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I’d always recommend a 30 cal can. Because of the process, whether you think you will or not, now you’ll be able to fire 6mm, 7mm, 30 cal, etc etc through the same can. 30 cal can on a 223 is not noticeably different than a 223 can on a .223

This. If it's your first can, get a 30 caliber can. If you already have a 30 caliber can, then get a 223 specific can, but I'd still recommend another 30 caliber can...

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Personal experience tells me that this is inaccurate. And honestly the physical nature of sound as a pressure wave makes it clear that a confined space will increase the decibel level.

Decibel peak will stay the same, you're not making more noise. You may be directing noise towards yourself, but a peak reading will be the same inside or out. The pressure is what gets you indoors. Suppressors do a wonderful job turning pressure into heat, which makes shooting indoors much more pleasant.

kmish105

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2019
    laporte
    no expert at all on this matter, literally waiting for the arrival of mine. its been about 11 months since my first order of 2 cans, one of which is a recce 7. i went with a 30 cal can just for the ability to use on multiple calibers but a couple of months ago i decided to order a 556 can along with another.... went to the same shop and once again they suggested to me that i cant go wrong with a griffin armament. so i ended up paying for a recce 5 as well. like i said, ive got no experience YET on any of these but i am really looking forward to it! so close!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    no expert at all on this matter, literally waiting for the arrival of mine. its been about 11 months since my first order of 2 cans, one of which is a recce 7. i went with a 30 cal can just for the ability to use on multiple calibers but a couple of months ago i decided to order a 556 can along with another.... went to the same shop and once again they suggested to me that i cant go wrong with a griffin armament. so i ended up paying for a recce 5 as well. like i said, ive got no experience YET on any of these but i am really looking forward to it! so close!

Make sure you check those cans out good after shooting about 100 or so rounds through them. Griffin had some issues of the welds letting loose in the stack causing a rattling sound when you shakenthe suppressor. This was with their recent production Recce series suppressors only. If yours is affected they'll get it fixed quickly at no charge

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Decibel peak will stay the same, you're not making more noise. You may be directing noise towards yourself, but a peak reading will be the same inside or out. The pressure is what gets you indoors. Suppressors do a wonderful job turning pressure into heat, which makes shooting indoors much more pleasant.

Until the guy in the next lane over starts firing off .300 Win Mag rounds. ;-)

Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    Big daddy unlimited has a sale on surefire right now. Surefire socom gen 2 and socom gen 2 mini are just over 800. I know you wanted to keep it under, but that's a pretty good price. They are the 5.56 suppressor's though, they don't have any .30 cal. The mini is out of stock currently, but the standard is still in stock.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Sound reduction means: large volume(longer), and high back pressure(more gas in the face).

Anything you put on that 10" 556 barrel is gonna suck.

I have 5 YHM cans, so I'm biased.

Surefire cans a lot but they are made for lower back pressure and high round count.

Other than that, Dead Air, Rugged, Griffin, Thunder Beast also make some good ones.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Sound reduction means: large volume(longer), and high back pressure(more gas in the face).

Not with a flow through can. I don't get this with either of my OSS cans. Not cheap, and yes I am an OSS fan-boy, but they freaking work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0uYVFj_M8Y

And one other thing, I don't need an adjustable gas block or other tweaks on my 300BLK pistol to run both subs and supers. They just go bang every single time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi4yb9Emw8Q

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Flow through designs work. Still a bit more gunk on the bolt, but my magazines stay clean with my Witt can vs my classic suppressor

Mag after 300 ish suppressed rounds with my Witt machine can can. The same with a standard can would be pretty grimey

20200217104029.jpg

Top Bottom