• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Ok, rather then make a new thread I will just ask in my old one....I am torn between buying a 10/22 Thompson suppressed barrel for my Ruger 10/22 or a 5.56 can for my AR.

The can that I have held and liked was the 7.62 and 5.56 QD from YHM but other then the disconnect would I lose anything by buying the 5.56 thread on YHM that Corey has in stock? I have a couple AR's so the QD would be nice there but I also am getting a .223 bolt gun and don't know how that would work in the future with the QD suppressor? Any opinions would be great!

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I have heard that .22 will leave lead deposits in a can. This is why most .22 cans can be broken down for cleaning. A 5.56 can usually cant be taken apart as it does not need cleaned. Something to think about.

I have a Gemtech M4-02 can on my 10.5 SBR. I like the can for what it is and it does a great job suppressing. However, it is not quick detach and threads straight onto the barrel. If I had to do it again, I would spend a little more and get a quick detach can.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    How doest the Gemtech Halo work exactly? Does it just slip over the flash hider without threading?

There is a collar that slips over the FH and indexes against the back edge; the can itself slips over the FH and threads into the collar.

DC_HALO.jpg

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I have a Gemtech M4-02 can on my 10.5 SBR. I like the can for what it is and it does a great job suppressing. However, it is not quick detach and threads straight onto the barrel. If I had to do it again, I would spend a little more and get a quick detach can.

Its amazing how convenient their QD cans are. Pops right on, no fuss no muss, and is as automatic a movement as you can get.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Its amazing how convenient their QD cans are. Pops right on, no fuss no muss, and is as automatic a movement as you can get.

I liked the one I saw in person! However, what is the hassle involved with a thread on suppressor? Is it the need to remove the flash hider if you are using a YHM suppressor?

Thanks

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I liked the one I saw in person! However, what is the hassle involved with a thread on suppressor? Is it the need to remove the flash hider if you are using a YHM suppressor?

Thanks

Its not a hassle per-say, its just more work. With the gemtech one there is basically no way to put it on wrong, cross thread, anything like that, and due to the locking mechanism its very easy to do blind and one handed (a situation i never need to worry about, but its nice to have the option).

That said, at the end of the day its personal preference. I like it, but im sure not going to knock any other kind of attachement method. What you like is what you should get :D

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Well the 5.56 can will be on my list of wants for sure. I am going to make my first NFA purchase at the 1500 off of Corey. He has been awesome to deal with and has answered all of my hundreds of questions:D

Top Bottom