• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    I bought some tracers last weekend just to see what the store bought stuff does, i have heard some mixed reviews, so i went out to my back range tonight and fired some up.
    1st shot in the dirt about 50' away just to see what it would do.....it lit up and burned on the ground.
    2nd shot i was at about 50 yrds. it lit up right away and burned in the backstop.....kinda neat.
    shot 3 to 20 i went long to 200 yrds. lit up right out of the barrel but no splash in the backstop.
    so the FEDRAL tracers lit up fast but burn out before 200 yrds.
    anybody have a surplus dealer to buy tracers from?......
    this sent me back to my time in the feild

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I was shooting these 52866 - Ammo 5.56 NATO American Eagle Tactical Tracer XM856 64 Grain FMJ Tracer, 20 Round Box at bass and bucks a couple weeks ago. I was hitting their 16" ish steel plate on their 750 yard range with an AR. They lit up all the way out to 750 you could even see them ricochet off the plate. I was pretty impressed with them. They shot a lot different then the other 223 ammo I was using. I had to walk them in to the plate, but after I found the sweet spot I was hitting that plate 3 out of 5 times ish using an eotech standing up. It was fun.

jmemmert

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    I have thousands of rounds of Mil-surplus tracers (more than I could ever need, LOL). Good stuff. Lots of fun.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've fired a couple, but it was more to show some other guys what a tracer was than anything else.

The tracers that I think are a lot more fun are the 22lr tracers. Maybe it's because the bullet isn't moving as fast, but they appear much brighter and you can more of an arch when shooting at distance. I like those more than I do the 5.56 tracers.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    The 1:7 twist barrel was designed to stablilize the M856 tracer so if they are shooting "different" than other ammo that could be why.

Top Bottom