• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fufon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    warsaw
    Hello , wondering if anyone might have any info on loading a 62 grain in a 5.7x28...i heard it can be done but have not seen any data yet.
    Jeff

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Hmmm, sounds like a question for FN. I would find out if they advocate staying away from reloading. By the way, is all of the civilian market ammo for those HP/soft tip bullets? Are you trying to get around that with 62 grain FMJ? It's something about the ammo being inherently armor piercing because of the velocity and size. I wonder if reloading your own is legal?

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    62 gr is WAY too heavy. It will not stabilize properly in flight. I have tried many bullets, and the heaviest I would ever go is 55 gr. and I don't really like that. 27-40 gr is optimal. That being said there is a huge difference in ballistics from bullet to bullet even if the weight is the same. The best bullet is pulled from the SS192 round, and reloaded with a better powder charge. It is a proprietary bullet, and not available in the aftermarket.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    The cases are also an issue. I recently learned that there are 3 variations of the casing. The original 2 cannot be reloaded. They are covered in a polymer type coating. Only the newest ones that do not have the coating can be reloaded.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    The cases are also an issue. I recently learned that there are 3 variations of the casing. The original 2 cannot be reloaded. They are covered in a polymer type coating. Only the newest ones that do not have the coating can be reloaded.

I don't know where you got this information, but it is not true. The 5.7 x 28 cases are coated with lacquer. This coating is essential for reliable feeding of the cartridge. There are special cleaning requirements that protect the integrity of the lacquer coating. You cannot tumble these cases in media. I have cleaned, trimmed, and loaded thousands of the lacquer coated cases with very few issues. The issues I have had are relative to case failure where the neck separates from the case. This is a common issue with this cartridge.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Interesting. I have not loaded for it yet, but after seeking information from another member I was informed of the different types of casings. I guess I will have to dig deeper.

fufon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    warsaw
    thanks

after hours of reading . i have decided to avoid the 62gr. thanks to all for the help . i did also hear one other thing about the casings . the ones that i have are not coated but have a rough almost blasted finish . i was told that they can be tumbled but to keep it to a min. as to keep the finish

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I've never seen uncoated 5.7x28 cases. What's the skinny on them? Are they original FN-branded cases? Where/when did you get them? Which load were they i.e SS195, SS197 ect.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    A few 5.7x28 cases to give away

I have 32 empty 5.7x28 cases that I would gladly send to a fellow INGOer if they can make use of them.

Send me a PM with your address if interested.

Top Bottom