• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jetman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Cicero
    Those of you that shoot this round know it is backordered at just about every supplier. I am looking for reloading specs for this round to shoot thru my FN five-seven. Anyone have specs they would like to share?

Jetman

skeetman28

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    South Bend
    Go to the web and punch in 5.7 x 28 reloading....it will open up to more sites than you can imagine...the best one is 5.7 x 28 forum which is dedicated to the round...I'll say one thing about the round...it is a pickey round to reload as you will find out in the forum...so with that said be carefull if take it on...good luck....

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    If I remember correctly, you can't tumble the brass. I believe there is a coating on the brass that needs to be there for function. I could be wrong though. :)

Jetman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Cicero
    Case Coating

Yes, I knew about the Case Coating, and am set up to hydrostatically clean the cases. I am getting lots of feed back, both positive and negative, on reloading this cartridge. If the ammo was more readily available, I would buy factory, and spend my time on the other calibers I shoot.
    I it seems overcharging the case is the biggest sticking point that keeps coming up. I have an RCBS digital Powder Measure and scales that I think I would probably use on this caliber to charge each one with an individual measured powder charge.
    This one does seem to be the mother of all "paining the neck" calibers.

Jetman

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Jetman: First off, it was nice meeting you & your wife at the class on Saturday. (I'm the big ugly feller... Just not as big and ugly as Joe / Rhino)

Caveat: I am not a reloader. may never be.

But I AM interested enough in it to pick up tidbits here and there. What I've gathered about this cartridge is that it is VERY unforgiving. Charges must be "exact".

I know you currently reload at least .45ACP and .38/.357 - but the 5.7x28 is much less forgiving than those.

Is your current measuring set-up precise enough for the 5.7? (just a generic question?)

-J-

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I suggest the fiveseven forum for advice on reloading the 5.7 round. Be very cautious as some of the loads listed are for Thompson Contender and posts do not always identify this. The only published load data I have seen is in Lyman's 49th (thanks to Broomjm for putting me on to this) and the Ramshot web site. My starting load was based on the Ramshot website data as it was lower than the Lyman data. I use a 10% solution of Simple Green in an ultrasonic cleaner for no longer than 15 minutes.

This is my recipe that closely duplicates the SS197SR round and is what I normally use for plinking:
    Hornady 40 gr V-Max or Z-Max bullet
    CCI 400 small rifle primer
    5.1 gr True Blue powder
    COL: 1.580"
    This gives an average velocity of 1668 fps out of a FiveSeven pistol compared to a SS197SR factory round velocity of 1662 fps under the same conditions. The chronograph was located 17 feet down range.

To date, I have loaded over 700 rounds. My reloading cost per box of 50 is $7.52. It is the most cost savings percentage wise of any round I load particularily now that ammunition for the 5.7 is almost made of unobtainium and when you can find it the cost is high. Eventually, I will need to purchase more factory ammo just to harvest the brass.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I suggest the fiveseven forum for advice on reloading the 5.7 round. Be very cautious as some of the loads listed are for Thompson Contender and posts do not always identify this. The only published load data I have seen is in Lyman's 49th (thanks to Broomjm for putting me on to this) and the Ramshot web site. My starting load was based on the Ramshot website data as it was lower than the Lyman data. I use a 10% solution of Simple Green in an ultrasonic cleaner for no longer than 15 minutes.

This is my recipe that closely duplicates the SS197SR round and is what I normally use for plinking:
    Hornady 40 gr V-Max or Z-Max bullet
    CCI 400 small rifle primer
    5.1 gr True Blue powder
    COL: 1.580"
    This gives an average velocity of 1668 fps out of a FiveSeven pistol compared to a SS197SR factory round velocity of 1662 fps under the same conditions. The chronograph was located 17 feet down range.

To date, I have loaded over 700 rounds. My reloading cost per box of 50 is $7.52. It is the most cost savings percentage wise of any round I load particularily now that ammunition for the 5.7 is almost made of unobtainium and when you can find it the cost is high. Eventually, I will need to purchase more factory ammo just to harvest the brass.

What kind of dies, case trimmer, shellholder's, etc are you using for it? I checked out Lee's website but I can't find anything for the 5.7...

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    What kind of dies, case trimmer, shellholder's, etc are you using for it? I checked out Lee's website but I can't find anything for the 5.7...

What I use;
    Dies: Hornady
    Shellholder: RCBS (don't waste your time with the Hornady as the hole is only 0.008" smaller than the base of the case)
    Case Trimmer: Little Crow Gunworks WFT

It was my understanding that Lee made dies for the 5.7. Other die mfgs for this are RCBS and Redding for sure. Not sure if there are any others. RCBS is enticing for their rebates and Hornady is enticing for the 100 free bullets which I max out my return with .308.:)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom