• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If you got 5 types of trees, which would they be?

For me, in my ideal area, they would be:

Apple
    Cherry
    Peach
    Olive
    Pear

I'd love to throw a few nut trees in there but I don't know anything about them. I've had a walnut tree and hated it.

So INGO, what trees would you want on your property and why?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Just remember you need at least 2 of each trees for pollination sometimes 4. I wouldwant nut tress...they can be used as protein.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If you got 5 types of trees, which would they be?

For me, in my ideal area, they would be:

Apple
    Cherry
    Peach
    Olive
    Pear

I'd love to throw a few nut trees in there but I don't know anything about them. I've had a walnut tree and hated it.

So INGO, what trees would you want on your property and why?
    Apple trees need to be tended and sprayed for bugs. Get the disease free/resistant apple varieties like LIBERTY.

I've had very good luck with Asian Pear.

Have not tried Olive, didn't think it would grow up here.

I tried growing Filberts/Hazelnuts, didn't have much luck, but then again I'm a plant 'em and forget them sort of guy. I don't want to tend my trees, I want them to grow and thrive or I replace them with something else.

FWIW my soil if VERY HARD CLAY, that compounds some of my problems with specific varieties.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Just remember sometimes you need at least 2 of each trees for pollination sometimes 4. I wouldwant nut tress...they can be used as protein.

Most fruit trees, at least all of them I've planted before don't require this. I've only planted about 30 different trees but I think those that require multiples are in the minority. But it is good advice and you should make sure to validate if your variety don't need a 'partner' to produce.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Most fruit trees, at least all of them I've planted before don't require this. I've only planted about 30 different trees but I think those that require multiples are in the minority. But it is good advice and you should make sure to validate if your variety don't need a 'partner' to produce.

True, some varieties are self-pollinating.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Dont forget about a lot of Oak.........To serve you heating needs!

That is a suuuuuuuuper long prep.

That takes some planning. Some trees don't fruit till mature and you're talking years in some cases. Not for short term prepping I think. Just saying.

Yes. However, when they do start to fruit you have a gold mine.

Bamboo?
    Will it even grow in or climate?

Bamboo can survive -20! A great plant that I hadn't thought of.

I have a 4 in one apple and it pollenates itself. Same for the 4 in 1 cherry trees.

YES it grows here very well.

I'm not a huge fan of pears but they came with our house and store amazingly well for a long time fresh or frozen.

I didn't think about storage. That is good to hear. My wife makes a great pear butter as well.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Plums make some good brandy high sugar content. If crafty enough that could be a good post SHTF barter trade item.

Bing/sweetCherries are the main ones that require pollenators. Normally 3 tree to produce. Sour cherries I do not believe need polinators. I like a good sour cherry and a good sweet cherry but these trees will bring birds (lots of birds) and those birds always liked to use my White VW jetta as target practice poop bomb runs normally colored red.

Peaches as dwarf trees seem to produce around here well and quickly but mine do not seem to be long lived trees. I have had to rerplace them before.

Bartlet pears do last a long time. With all pears you are going to attract stinging insects mainly yellow jackets. The asian pear i have not tried other than in the store.

Apples you can get one that are graphed from several types so you can harvest from the same tree red/green/yellow early/late without pollenators.

Black walnuts are not for human eating. but they do a great job for dies and gunstocks. If you want eating walnut they are English. Both attract tree rats if you like that.

Pecans got planted at a cousins and uncles house. Time will tell on these yet.

Some not mentioned but that do well in Indiana are paw-paws (Hillbilly banana's) and persimons (Deer candy) These you can get through the state forester office,

Something else to look at are berries/rasberries/red/black/yellow (Also a good tresspasser deterent and ripen about the 4th of july when orther stuff is not yet ready/ ). high and low bush blueberries (Very high in vitimans). These are rather easy to grow in Indiana also. Also nowbody mentioned strawberries but this is a tree thread.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Is there a olive tree that is cold Hardy? I know there is a banana tree that is but i hear the fruit isn't particularly tastey. Don't forget your bushes either. Gooseberries make a great defensive hedge and produce very well. I've never had much luck with blueberries.

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Sooo bamboo will survive... It's it invasive? Would i get into issues planting them?
    With so many uses I would really consider this?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Sooo bamboo will survive... It's it invasive? Would i get into issues planting them?
    With so many uses I would really consider this?

Yeah it spreads. There are many different types. Some grow VERY fast and others not so fast. The faster it grows the more it will spread but if it grows too slowly, won't make it here. Gotta find the right type. There's a house down near Nashville in brown county that has it growing all over the yard instead of grass, no mowing!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom