5-day Hold on handgun purchase in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    I have a question regarding the background check. I've recently moved to Indiana from Kentucky. When purchasing a gun in Kentucky, if you have a permit you don't have to undergo the background check....just fill out the form and off you go. Why would this be different in Indiana? Your background check was performed when you applied for your permit to carry.

Different in Indiana because FBI doesn't deem that Indiana's LTCH background check is sufficient/in depth enough to bypass the NICS check.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I've heard rumors around the gun shop that they were looking into doing away with the call-in check at purchase time if you have a LTCH. I have no problem with the way things are ran now.
    Problem I see with not running a check just because a guy has a LTCH is that you could potentially have a guy walk in with a valid LTCH that actually had a disqualifying charge on his record from 6 months or a year ago and it hadn't caught up with the State Police data base yet.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, it's NOT Cabela's.

Over the last years I alternately received 'proceed' or 'delayed'. But hey, at least I now know what's gonna happen with the next purchase!111

In the case of 'delayed', including the last purchase at Cabela's, I was called back within 1 - 1.5 days and told I was then moved to the 'proceed' category.

I guess it's an annoyance, but not being my first or only purchase, doesn't really matter. I just chalk it up to a backlog, and don't worry about it.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Companies like cabelas just do a blanket 5 days to cover their own butts. Far to many times I have had NICS checks go to 3 days in "open status" and then we sell the gun. the next day it comes back as a deny and then the NICS asks for adresses and give the person an ultimatum to return the gun or the confiscate it....pissed off customer blah blah blah. It's easier to just say 5 days and be done with. Not so much dragging their feet just being extra cautious.

'far to many times'

Something sounds flawed with their process! :(

barnstormer37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    I recently went to Cabellas in Hammond to purchase a new firearm. After doing the background check, I was told that they put a 5-day hold on my new weapon.. I possess a conceal carry permit so I am a bit confused as to why this is the case. Has this ever happened to anyone and can you enlighten me as to why? Thanks in advance.

:dunno:

To the OP: Your profile says you live in NW Indiana. I wonder where you got the conceal carry permit you say you possess. The state of Indiana issues a License To Carry Handgun, so is your permit from some other agency?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why would what he's wearing matter?
    It's not a background check on your underwear.

Him and I just thought it was funny. Being that he worked for ISP and at the end of his shift for ISP. if there was something criminal with him his employer would have known before anyone else. It wasn't like he was suspended, under investigation or on desk duty for discipline etc. Thats all.

And since I know where this will probably start going in some minds here see below!

******DISCLAIMER**** before all the uproar or getting away from the topic from the haters out there no one said he had anything coming because he was in uniform or an LEO or ETC ETC ETC so lets not go there or get that started.....for once!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    :laugh:

now that would be something

now let me reiterate what the monkey has said here

your delay is

3 BUSINESS DAYS

last I looked Saturday & Sunday were not business days

There is a table in the back of the "ATF Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide 2005" received by me from the ATF last year with my FFL-03 license. The table is as follows

"The following table specifies the day after a delay response on which a firearm may be lawfully transferred under federal law if a final determination has not been received from the NICS (assuming there are no intervening state holidays or closures"

DELAY RESPONSE ON / CAN LEGALLY TRANSFER ON
    Monday / Friday
    Tuesday / Saturday
    Wednesday / Tuesday
    Thursday / Wednesday
    Friday / Thursday
    Saturday / Thursday
    Sunday / Thursday

Directly below this table on Page 218 is the following statement:

"If the FFL has not received from the NICS a final determination after 3 business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL's discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm, the FFL must note "no resolution was provided within 3 business days" on line 21d of the ATF form 4473 (please refer to pages 24 and 25 of the FBI NICS FFL User Manual)

It appears the "3 business days" must be the ATF's days - according to the table, but elsewhere in the manual it appears it is to be the FFL dealers business day!:dunno:

Top Bottom