50 BMG through 1 1/2" steel plate... Will it penetrate?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    That is measured. It was a factory loaded API round (talon I believe).
    i also left my phone down there on record so I could catch the impact. As soon as I figure out how to shorten the video I will post it also.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    This is 30/06 AP shot through a RA 1903A3 through 1.25" of steel. The point was still sharp. My sons AR with penetrator ammo got about 1/2" into it.

. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7950&d=1286216849
    asset.php.jpg

Last edited:

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    We regularly shoot API, APIT and spotter tracer rounds at 1.5" steel plates at 265yds. Out of the BMG they will go through most of the time. The plates have work hardened from all the hits I think so they don't always make it all the way through. Out of the 510 whisper they only sometimes make a dent. We haven't had any ricochets come back but can see the debris hitting further up the hill. Jackets bounce back a few feet.
    The picture is of a penetrator from an API stuck in a piece of 5/16" armor plate. It was fired from the 510 whisper subsonic at 265yds. The BMG punched holes through the armor plate and buried the penetrators in the dirt somewhere.

Frank

Attachments

• AR500 armor plate with 510W penetrator stuck from 250yds 3.jpg
      AR500 armor plate with 510W penetrator stuck from 250yds 3.jpg
      75.1 KB · Views: 19

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    50bmg is just a plain crazy powerful round! I bought I a AR50 for my 50th birthday present for my self. I haven't shot steel with it (yet :-) I have a few AP rounds that were given to me by a friend. I just haven't found a peice of steel that I though was worthy of shooting at yet. Thanks for sharing the info and experience! I haven't shot mine yet this summer. That needs to change soon! It is a rush to shoot for sure!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom