• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    Please seriously consider the Barrett 99. I own a 82A1 and a state arms single shot. If I were to get another 50 it would be the 99.
    Also lots of good info on the fifty caliber shooting assoc. Web site. HTH.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    What kind of glass are you guys running on your rifles? I've long considered buying one, but figured the glass will be at least as expensive as the rifle and haven't been able to commit yet. I would love to take one deer hunting on a friends farm with his devastation permits :biggun:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have 2 scopes on Weaver quick release Lever Lok return to Zero rings. Actually I think the one set might be Leopold's?? Have to look.

#1 is a Leopold Mark AR 6-14x40 and #2 is a Elite Tactical 5-15x40. I am sure there are better scopes but I am happy with these. Know your back stop or whats behind your target. I kind of hoping your kidding in a way. If not, I want to shoot where you are if it's safe enough!! :D

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    i owned an AR50 for about 4 months and I have nothing bad to say about them. I owned all 3 barretts 99, 95 and 82a1. Each did what its intended job was. I had a McMillan as well. i ended up with an AW50 and in my opinion it's the end all of the .50's

The fact is that even the basic of .50's is capable of shooting better than the shooter behind the trigger. For someone to become proficient behind a .50 it takes a lot of money. Mil surplus ball ammo doesn't make a good .50 shooter nor does shooting 60 rounds a year. So when you take advice from people you also have to factor in their abilities when they review the product. With that said, the point I'm trying to make is, are you and can you afford to shoot a .50 enough to become a shooter capable of knowing what and if there is a difference between the different manufactures?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    i owned an AR50 for about 4 months and I have nothing bad to say about them. I owned all 3 barretts 99, 95 and 82a1. Each did what its intended job was. I had a McMillan as well. i ended up with an AW50 and in my opinion it's the end all of the .50's

The fact is that even the basic of .50's is capable of shooting better than the shooter behind the trigger. For someone to become proficient behind a .50 it takes a lot of money. Mil surplus ball ammo doesn't make a good .50 shooter nor does shooting 60 rounds a year. So when you take advice from people you also have to factor in their abilities when they review the product. With that said, the point I'm trying to make is, are you and can you afford to shoot a .50 enough to become a shooter capable of knowing what and if there is a difference between the different manufactures?

m82mike is pushing the Barrett heavy. I don't know what the difference's are. I know that the AR50 out preforms me. I have a lot to learn. Plus I am range limited. 200 yards is the only range I have at the moment. I am eager to find a longer range. 500+ would rock!!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    On optics, the 'cheapest" scope I ran was an old Leupold Ultra. The AI has an S&B on it but has also seen a NF on it as well. and don't forget the rings!

That's a damn sweet looking rifle!! I get a chance tomorrow I will get my beast out and snap a few pics.

Dam sweet

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    M2HB, you know you want one.

1385277_01_m2hb_50_ma_duece_browning_semi_640.jpg

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    I figure it will be like everything else if you don't do it you will never know?I figure between getting the rifle and optics and getting a load worked up for my needs and or wants that's my satisfaction I'm not looking to go try and shoot 50 matches and set any records only have some fun learn some more about a new animal.I can shoot on the farm to 600 yards and extend that as a bulldozer from work can extend that range as time allows

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I figure it will be like everything else if you don't do it you will never know?I figure between getting the rifle and optics and getting a load worked up for my needs and or wants that's my satisfaction I'm not looking to go try and shoot 50 matches and set any records only have some fun learn some more about a new animal.I can shoot on the farm to 600 yards and extend that as a bulldozer from work can extend that range as time allows

I wish I had that much land!!! You'll have fun with the 50. Yeah it's 3-5 bucks or more a trigger pull but it's a lot of bang for the buck!! Let us know what you get. Don't skimp on the glass!!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have 500 yards behind the house and will be pushing it to 1000 this winter. As for glass, my Ferret50 runs a a Nightforce NXS and my LAR runs a Bushnell Elite 4200.

For those on a tight budget you cannot go wrong with the SWFA Super Sniper. It's fixed power but for $300 you get a decent scope that can handle the recoil.

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks for the input on optic options guys,as for M99 it is a Barrett and there a known commodity hopefully with some running can see both options have an offer to test the Armalite so going to work that out and keep researching till I'm confident that I made the right decision

shunsley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Indy
    Bought a Barrett M99 2 years ago because Ive always wanted it. Its been sitting in the safe ever since. Haven't shot it once. No place around Indy I can shoot it.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I have an Armalite AR-50 and I don't regret it a bit. I only shoot about 40-60 rounds out of it a year. Probably more due to the cost than anything. It only takes one trigger pull to put a smile on my face the rest of the day.

As for why having one, for me it wasn't about the range, it was about the power. Why not have something with 11,000 ft/lbs of muzzle energy? I've only shot it at 100 yards and I don't care. The muzzle blast washes over you like a warm shower (if it were thrown from a bucket through a window of a car passing you at 200mph).

Cost is prohibitive, no denying that. I will let other people at the range shoot it if they are interested, some are, some aren't. Cleaning the copper fouling out can be a real bear. Montana Extreme helps but is some pretty potent smelling stuff. Usually I try to take it out when many other people won't be there as it seems to be a little disruptive to others' practice and mine. I actually don't care much for all the ooh and ahh that comes with it.

As for reloading, the investment is steep. Purchasing the Lee setup and enough stuff for loading 1000 rounds (assuming you have 1000 empty brass) will also purchase 3000 rounds of ready to go ammo at the same cost. At 100 rounds per year (for more adventurous light weights than me) that is 30 years of shooting! Honestly, 20-30 rounds at a range in a day is great fun. If you are going to be a more serious shooter you will have to look at the more serious financial impacts of such a purchase. It is kind of like, "If you have to ask you probably can't afford it".

The Izaak Walton League north of Fort Wayne is 50 friendly. I have heard Hillside in Roanoke is as well, but I cannot confirm that.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    As Karl said. The pressure wave is something else. You need to feel it to appreciate it! :thumbsup: And Karl, if you want to some time we can take them both to the range! That would be cool.

I always ask those around me if they mind if I shoot it (AR50). I take up a lot of room with it. I will not shoot it if I don't have at least spaces free on each side. I try to pick a end spot. I shoot it once then check to see if I am annoying anyone. I stop if I am. So far no one has complained except one idiot that wasn't wearing hearing protection. I had no clue he didn't have any ear plugs. I asked every one to muff up too! After the first shot I gave him some plugs. What a dweeb! I have let a few people shoot it. It always draws a crowd.

The recoil is really manageable too. The muzzle break does it's job well! I have some AP rounds. I'd love to see what it would do to a engine cylinder head!

One of the last times I was out with it there was a 6-7 year old boy that was just fascinated with the gun and the size of the bullet. He was shooting a 22lr and brought down a bullet to compare it with. I made his day when I gave him a piece of brass (I asked if it was ok with his grandpa that was with him). I'd bet he still has that brass!

I did not get to shoot mine this year (health). I did let my buddy take it to the range so it got a few rounds threw it. Hopefully this year I will and maybe I will get it to a range farther then 200 yards.

And last but not least, since this thread was brought back. Tat2clod: Did you ever get a 50??

Top Bottom