• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So is the .50 cal really that destructive to the human body or is this just hollywood magic?
    [video=youtube_share;1ZeDq4Yo6Jk]http://youtu.be/1ZeDq4Yo6Jk[/video]
    :dunno:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Some truth to it. The bullet would definitely go through multiple targets. And the tree with enought to kill. I doubt it would cut a person in half with a round or two. And I think it would blow a limb off with one shot.

Last edited:

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Of course it can! When John Moses Browning created the round, it puzzled many scientists of that era. Today, modern scientist can only explain it as a phenomenon, as studies show the .50 BMG actually destroys matter. It's common belief that J. Moses Browning met God up on a mountain top in Utah, where God inscribed a detailed design of the first 1911 on a stone tablet, as well as handed J. Moses Browning the first .50 BMG round. If you think about it, it's the only logical way that the round holds such supernatural powers.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Well it was good enough to shoot aircraft down in WW2. Also if shot at close range the energy alone can kill. The 50 cal Browning round has over 12,000 (yes 12 thousand) pounds of muzzle energy compared to 3,000 for say a 30-06.
    And if you hold the weapon at a 45 degree angle a 50 cal Browning round will travel approx. 7 miles

Rickshaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    I took my son, a veteran of Iraqi, to see this movie. I asked this very question. He said it was very factual.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I saw an Afghan up close that had been shot with an M2 .50 caliber. The rounds had skipped off of a paved road, ripped through the hood of a car, went through the dash, hit the guy in the hand/arm, chest and head, passed on through the seat, through the back seat/window and trunk and kept on going, probably into Pakistan.
    There were no limbs torn from the body, no torso cut in two, no head exploded like a watermelon. The rounds went in and the rounds came out. Not a pleasant sight but certainly not like Hollywood's portrayal.
    Real rounds don't normally knock people down, throw them across rooms or blow them out windows and doors.

Last edited:

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    When I was growing up, my friends father was a helicopter gunner in Vietnam and had told his son(my friend) that indeed firing a 50 BMG was as destructive as depicted in Rambo 4....he said it was a very accurate account.

God bless
    -Shred

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    a quick search for 50 cal on liveleak.com (NSFW!!!) turned up vids with everything from iphones to pigs to people being shot with a .50

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    My late father told of viewing the remains of German soldiers who had been hit by .50 caliber fire from a PT boat in the Mediterranean during WW2. The wounds were described to me as devastating, but nothing like being mentioned here, i.e.; a body being cut in half.

This, of course, is just second hand info from an incident that happened many years ago, and may very well be flawed.

Last edited:

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    It wont cut you in half and an HE round wont explode. It has to hit something hard to do anything. Armor piercing would leave an even smaller hole. One shot wont rip limbs off and certainly wont cut someone in half.

Top Bottom