• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I am a member of a few Facebook groups that pertain to trading and buying and selling of firearms here in Indiana. While I try to spread the word about INGO there, I am concerned.

I have seen numerous comments over the past few weeks form members in these groups about joining INGO, and taking advantage of the B/S/T section by just PMing members that are selling things anyways, with no regard to our 50 count rule..

I'd like to think that my fellow INGOers check the post count before dealing with people, but I am not so sure. One guy in particular said something along the lines of "I've done it ten or fifteen times." Implying he has gotten away with it.

I know a board I am a member of, a forum for cigars, blocks members with less than 100 posts from accessing their classifieds, maybe INGO would want to think about implementing something similar? I am sure it's just a few clicks and check marks in a control panel somewhere.

Either way, just a heads up for our community here!

:ingo::ingo:

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thank you for posting this, I will pass this info forward to the admins, who will adjust accordingly.

If a user has fewer than 50 posts, and is not a paid "Site Supporter" they should not have access to PM *anyone*, and are expressly forbidden to participate in the classifieds.

-Paul

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    PM access is 15 posts, though...

Thank you for posting this, I will pass this info forward to the admins, who will adjust accordingly.

If a user has fewer than 50 posts, and is not a paid "Site Supporter" they should not have access to PM *anyone*, and are expressly forbidden to participate in the classifieds.

-Paul

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There is a lower barrier to entry to PM someone because Fenway wants new members to have the opportunity to interface privately with those who provide training. The staff has discussed this internally many times and has always felt that the few who abuse the system for their own gain at the expense of INGO as a community do not warrant limiting access for the great many who do not abuse the system. In other words, "eff those guys". I know there are lots of long-time members here who will sell to anyone who is willing to buy. While I can't really blame them, I do wish that they would help support the site instead of deliberately undermining it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I will start where Scutter left off. The purpose of the 50 post rule as has been explained repetitively is to ensure that we have a reasonable understanding of the person with whom we are potentially dealing and that that person is here to be a member of the community and not just to raid the classifieds. This eliminates spammers and protects members from engaging in deals with people who are completely unknown quantities. My thought is that members who are willing to assist in circumventing a very reasonable rule are taking upon themselves an additional risk that the rule is meant to prevent. As such, they are opening the door to facing consequences of their own manufacture.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The purpose of the 50 post rule as has been explained repetitively is to ensure that we have a reasonable understanding of the person with whom we are potentially dealing and that that person is here to be a member of the community and not just to raid the classifieds.

You're partly right. The "unknown quantity" aspect is a beneficial side effect, but the real reason is to ensure that members are contributing positively to the site to make it a better place to hang out. Sometimes, that is through a donation (which is neeeded to keep the blinky lights blinking), but preferably it's through creating engaging posts and threads that help drive interesting discussion. This is why "one-liners" are deleted. They add nothing to the conversation and only serve to drive up post count. They do not contribute to the betterment of INGO.

"Hit and fade" classified snipers never contribute to the site and they never get to learn about all of the other benefits to being a member here. We've had TONS of people tell us that if it weren't for the 50 post rule, they wouldn't have even known there was a forum, let alone found out how awesome it is. Those who bypass the rule for their own gain, well, they're the ones losing out.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I would regret seeing the pm barrier bumped to 50. I fear we would unduly limit many new members from seeking advice/offering help/otherwise participating.

This.

Likewise, all members that are found to be selling to non contributing under 50 post deal snipers should be banned from the classifieds.

I did it once years ago. I didn't think to look at the posts before replying with SOLD. I won't go back on deals.
    BUT now I look before replying.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    This.

Likewise, all members that are found to be selling to non contributing under 50 post deal snipers should be banned from the classifieds.

I did it once years ago. I didn't think to look at the posts before replying with SOLD. I won't go back on deals.
    BUT now I look before replying.

Whats the Statute of Limitations on board violations? Looks like we have a self-confessed scoff law here! :draw:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have turned down offers from members with less than 50 post before and told them why. But really the only reason I did that was because Scutter said he was watching me and said he would send Spasmo after me if I misbehaved :):

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have turned down offers from members with less than 50 post before and told them why. But really the only reason I did that was because Scutter said he was watching me and said he would send Spasmo after me if I misbehaved :):

She's already after you, she's just really slow. In about 20 years, LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I recently was at a training with others from another Indiana gun forum who were bragging that even though they were banned from here they continued making new accounts to raid our classifieds. I really wish there was a way to stop this...they continue to be disruptive.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I recently was at a training with others from another Indiana gun forum who were bragging that even though they were banned from here they continued making new accounts to raid our classifieds. I really wish there was a way to stop this...they continue to be disruptive.

Just goes to show that the original decision to ban them was completely justified. Some people simply have no respect for others and never will. Very unscrupulous and of little character.

Top Bottom