• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which is better a 50 or 100 yard zero on a .22lr rifle?

• Total voters

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The .22LR loads I shoot generally need 6.5MOA to get from 50 to 100. It's a pretty easy come up. CZ455 varmint, 16.5" barrel.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    After the last .22 shortage, I've accumulated a mixture of different manufacturers, different weights, etc. There is just too much variation to consider zeroing anything past 50 yds. Now if I can just tap into my son's stash of Lapua.....

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Dope has nothing to do with dialing. When you hear "know your dope" it basically means knowing your ballistics, IE, knowing what happens to the bullet after it leaves the barrel. So if you zero at 250 yards, and know where the bullet is at 25, and adjust accordingly (dialing, or holding) your good. If you zero at 25, and know where the bullet is at 250, your good. Obviously my first post was exaggerated to drive the point home (no one zero's a 22 at 500), but I think folks get the picture. Mathematically no zero is better or worse than a different zero as long as you know your ballistics.

I agree completely with this, with one caveat: it's of course much easier to establish a closer zero accurately. I zero to the limit of my ability and that of the weapon system. For a .22, that's 50 yards.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    What are you going to use the 22 for? 50yds for my hunting rifle. If im target shooting I dial to distance. Allen said it best, know your ballistics and I'll add know your rifle and scope. I'm not going to hunt with a 40x 22 and not looking to win a target match with a stock 10-22.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Zero shifts a lot from ammo to ammo in 22lr. I've got a growing notebook with a lot of dope depending on different roles and uses. For squirrels 30 yards seems to be the answer. Steel challenge 19 yards, precision anywhere between 50 and 100 depending on the range

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ideal, but that's a little trickier since almost no range has a 75 yd setup.

I didn't reread the article, but I'm pretty sure the author had a range on his property.

Riley Conservation Club has a dedicated .22lr range along side their longer rifle range. Very nice sand berms with changable steel swingers at 25, 50, 75 and 100. Bring your own paint. Plenty of room to hang paper.

Everyone should have a setup similar to this. It's worth lobbying your range's BOD.

Riley is fortunate to be run and layed out by world class competition shooters.

Top Bottom