• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I was very impressed with that interview. To go from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in a split second and manage to stay so composed is impressive. He took the correct view of it too: they wouldn't have been in the position to win the race if it hadn't been for the driver's extraordinary race up to that point. He didn't blow the race, he just didn't close out his efforts. Good for him though.

That is a class act and a guy that knows how to lead a team.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What finish? Locals news broke in with my gal Danica leading with something like 10 laps to go for some stupid tornado/severe storm warning. :D

Hope I can catch the ending soemwhere online.
    It's on youtube. And yeah, Danica had some unfortunate fuel timing due to yellows. She had to pit with 5 or 7 laps left?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Panther has contested the finish... claiming they were passed under yellow!!!.... DUH DUH DUH!... controversy.. lol

This is a good point. If the yellow came out before he was passed, since Hildebrand was still running and did cross the finish line, he should have won.

Edit, just read the race report and track officials say that Weldon passed Hildebrand before the yellow came out. Really late yellow!

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    This is a good point. If the yellow came out before he was passed, since Hildebrand was still running and did cross the finish line, he should have won.

Edit, just read the race report and track officials say that Weldon passed Hildebrand before the yellow came out. Really late yellow!

I'm not buying it. Wheldon passed him on the main stretch well after Hildebrand hit the turn four wall, and was costing down the main stretch. I can't wait to see the video. I'm sick for the kid, he may not have had the fastest car, but his team ran the smartest race.

EDIT: I just saw the video. That yellow is BS. He did pass him first, but they were EXTREMELY slow on putting it out. Someone fell asleep with yellow flag/light. I like USAC's rule. Go back to the standings of the last completed lap on a yellow. He would have won that way.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Maybe, but a lot of series will penalize you IF u r the reason for the caution, too. I'm not familiar with Indy's rules to know, though.

This is what I was wondering. If you cause the yellow, I don't know how you can justify saying that the field was frozen and you still won. Interesting in any event.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yep. 14 laps to go, ABC 57 here in SB takes us to severe weather programming for a "dangerous storm situation" and we miss the rest of the race.

No tornados, barely any wind, some rain. I don't think anyone lost power.

Idiots!

But they wanted to make sure that you "Heard it here first on Storm team blah blah blah's super awesome Doppler 87 weather radar super soaker."

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I did not get to check out the infield this year. (normally I don't have seats in the stands.) but this was a great 500. I took my 71 year old father and we had to walk an extreme distance to get in since the local law enforcement must have thought that this infy 500 was going to be as tame as the last years since about 1996. The crowd was in the house this year for sure. All the stands were packed. It must have been a very good day for the track.

I was in turn 1 area. All the action except the final crash happened in the area. Weldon was running good all day so I am not surprised he won but i bet he would have wanted a better win himself. RJ ran a great race but he must have had the "sound of footsteps behind me" feeling after passing that slow car and look in the mirror for a second. Jeck i figured that the tires just gave out.

As far a security it was not that much. I could have gotten about anything inside. I had to open the cooler and show the ice on top but they never even really looked inside. I did not see the old rowdy behavior of yesteryear. No burning cars and compaired to the Hickyard 400 no extreamly drunken fools. Yes there was drinking going on but it seemed very tame.

I did notice a building on the backstrech before turn 3 outside that must have contained the "Jack booted thugs with major training" an armored assult truck and heavily armed urban camo troops. They looked cool but i could not walk with or against the crowd so how are they going to get anywhere quick in a personal carrier. Maybe the helecopters were behind the garage doors of the building.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    The kid ran a great race, no questions asked. However, he couldn't close the deal and it was all on him. He doesn't deserve the crown if he can't finish it out. I understand if it was someone else's fault....but this was all on him. Tough day for the National Guard for sure....lose the Indy 500 on the last lap and then lose the Coca-cola 600 on the last lap.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just read that The rule states that the crashed car can be passed on a yellow, and once Panther was made aware of this, they decided not to contest the finish. I sould have been happy with either team winning.... Both teams have hard luck stories that make you want to root for them.

Top Bottom