• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    There is no trade, no compromise, no negotiation. Get that crap out of your minds. We NEVER get anything, we only lose. Get off your Duff's and call your lawmakers. Put a stop to this now before it really gains momentum!

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    As a point of reference, what would a tax stamp cost if it was adjusted for inflation? :dunno:

Based on my Google Fu...and the website linked below...the $200 tax stamp adjusted for inflation would be $3,772.59. So yes, this increase is better than having it adjusted for inflation. But that is assuming that you believe the 1934 NFA is right and constitutional. I do not... therefore... it is my opinion that there should not be ANY tax... or 1934 NFA.

Inflation calculator link: https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Need a poison pill amendment to remove the "No New NFA" from the 1986 FOPA. Then I would pay my $500 for every single machine gun I did a form 1 on. :-) The price for a M16 would go from the current $20,000 down to drill a hold and change our $200 worth of bolt carrier and trigger group. Of course with all these going through a background check, there would be no more worries of a bump stock.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Need a poison pill amendment to remove the "No New NFA" from the 1986 FOPA. Then I would pay my $500 for every single machine gun I did a form 1 on. :-) The price for a M16 would go from the current $20,000 down to drill a hold and change our $200 worth of bolt carrier and trigger group. Of course with all these going through a background check, there would be no more worries of a bump stock.

While I think a majority of prospective machine gun buyers (and really a majority of machine gun owners except for the rich, old super-collectors) would be glad to trade a removal of Hughes for a $500 stamp (especially if you added the HPA as a cherry on top), there is no way the anti-gun Democrats and Republicans would let that get past committee, let alone past a full vote.

And now that the Cheetoh-in-Chief is showing his true anti-gun colors, I even doubt it would get signed into law even then.

You know if your supposedly strong pro-2nd Amendment president makes Diane Feinstein cackle with glee, you are well and truly f@!#$%ed.

180228203137-dianne-feinstein-donald-trump.jpg

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I find it interesting that some think a $500 tax stamp would be okay if only machine guns were effected (silencers, SBRs, SBSs, AOW, etc. were not NFA regulated). Kinda craps on the people who want to buy machine guns

If the Hughes Amendment was repealed, and silencers, SBRs, SBSs, and AOWs were removed from the NFA, I would be okay with a $500 tax on machine guns.

A $700 machine gun with a $500 stamp is way better than a $30,000 machine gun with a $200 stamp.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I find it interesting that some think a $500 tax stamp would be okay if only machine guns were effected (silencers, SBRs, SBSs, AOW, etc. were not NFA regulated). Kinda craps on the people who want to buy machine guns

Yup.

However, how many buy machine guns? How many buy SBRs, suppressors, et al.?

If a very small segment have to pay ~1% for their purchase and a whole bunch of other people don't have to pay and wait... Yeah, I'd go for that in a heartbeat. In fact, if you want to buy a machine gun, I bet INGO would start a GoFundMe to find you the extra $300.

:twocents:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Yup.

However, how many buy machine guns? How many buy SBRs, suppressors, et al.?

If a very small segment have to pay ~1% for their purchase and a whole bunch of other people don't have to pay and wait... Yeah, I'd go for that in a heartbeat. In fact, if you want to buy a machine gun, I bet INGO would start a GoFundMe to find you the extra $300.

:twocents:

What happened to the....not...one...more...compromise?

It's gun owners selling out other gun owners for something that benefits themselves and craps on others.

IF the Hughes Amendment was repealed and I could buy a machine gun post 86....yeah...I'd do a $500 tax but the way others have mentioned it is basically well I don't own/won't buy a MG, if there's a $500 tax on that and not others things that I do and will buy then so be it.

Would I like to see the tax go away? Sure. I could have used the over $2k I've spent in taxes in other places.....but I won't crap on other NFA owners to make them pay $500 for a tax stamp if I won't have to

SirLiftsALatte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Indianapolis

What happened to the....not...one...more...compromise?

It's gun owners selling out other gun owners for something that benefits themselves and craps on others.

IF the Hughes Amendment was repealed and I could buy a machine gun post 86....yeah...I'd do a $500 tax but the way others have mentioned it is basically well I don't own/won't buy a MG, if there's a $500 tax on that and not others things that I do and will buy then so be it.

Would I like to see the tax go away? Sure. I could have used the over $2k I've spent in taxes in other places.....but I won't crap on other NFA owners to make them pay $500 for a tax stamp if I won't have to

We lost ground by a series of compromises. The only way we will gain ground back (barring a major cultural shift back to Constitutionalism) is by making compromises that benefit the gun community as a whole. Removing the hassle related to SBRs and suppressors would result in those items becoming much more popular, and would (probably help) draw more people from the fringes into the firearms community. That growth and momentum would set the stage to get full-autos back at a later date, because we could say "See, we legalized those items and the streets are not running red, why not legalize everything?"

Getting SBRs and suppressors off of the NFA in exchange for an additional $300 on MG's would be a HUGE win.

I would acknowledge that setting the precedent for adjusting the NFA tax is a risk that could backfire, especially if there is another AWB.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    We lost ground by a series of compromises. The only way we will gain ground back (barring a major cultural shift back to Constitutionalism) is by making compromises that benefit the gun community as a whole. Removing the hassle related to SBRs and suppressors would result in those items becoming much more popular, and would (probably help) draw more people from the fringes into the firearms community. That growth and momentum would set the stage to get full-autos back at a later date, because we could say "See, we legalized those items and the streets are not running red, why not legalize everything?"

Getting SBRs and suppressors off of the NFA in exchange for an additional $300 on MG's would be a HUGE win.

I would acknowledge that setting the precedent for adjusting the NFA tax is a risk that could backfire, especially if there is another AWB.

Machine guns have been regulated for 84 years now, IF Silencers, SBRs, SBSs, AOWs, etc are removed from the NFA and only machine guns are taxed, how long would the American people have to prove that all is okay and states aren't running red to get them to even consider machine guns? Another 84 years? At that point the NEWEST MG on the market would be 116 years old (given the Hughes Amendment would be in place, and this would pass this year).

The whole "we'll get this done now and the rest will come later" is all fine and dandy, but we've had since 1934 to educate the ignorants of NFA items and since 1986 to remove the Hughes Amendment, and you can see how that's going.

Most days in the news the ignorants are the ones complaining the loudest and heard most and they're pretty much saying silencers only help people kill people quietly, and machine guns are sold at the wal mart and can buy for $130.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I can't believe some of you guys. OK then how do some of you feel about this...

Pay a $200 tax stamp to be able to speak to your elected officials.
    Pay a $200 tax stamp to prevent the police from just tossing your house during a no knock, no warrant search.
    Pay a $200 tax stamp so soldiers can't shack up in your house and eat your food.

How this tax isn't the exact same thing as a poll tax is beyond me. Have there been any legal challenges to the constitutionality of taxing an enumerated right?

Top Bottom