• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Is 55 grain fine for a 1:7 twist? What kind of differences would you notice compared to 62+ grain at less than 100 yards?

Stripper clips. What are they used for? I'm used to buying them without, but I'm about to purchase a bulk order of 5.56, and they are in stripper clips.
    Stripper clips is new to me...

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    55 is fine for 1:7. Heck, have yet to see a 45 or 40 grainer pop before hitting the target (though some folks will proclaim to have seen it).

Remember, it's the bullet quality that determines the accuracy when you spin it up quick. Cheaply made or unevenly made bullets (ie M855 or cheapo Montana Golds) when fired, the higher rate excacerbates the uneven nature of their construction, causing some larger than desired groups (albeit cheaper ammo). You fire, say, a Sierra 55gr Matchking, you aren't going to notice much diff twixt 1in9 or 1in7. :)

Theox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    should you always match grain to twist? is there some sort of spreadsheet on this out there somewhere?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    The 223/5.56 stripper clips also work for bulk storage of 9mm handgun rounds. It really organizes an ammo can full of 9mm nicely.
    It wouldn't work with the AR15 platform but I hear from the guys that fought in VN that they loaded their M14's using stripper clips. Rather than carrying around a bunch of heavy mags they would keep the empty mag in the rifle after the last round held the bolt open open (like a Garand). They would then push all the rounds off the stripper clip directly into the mag similar to jamming a clip into a Garand.

That might work with 223 and a Mini 14 but I don't know.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    should you always match grain to twist? is there some sort of spreadsheet on this out there somewhere?

The answer is yes...and yes. There are some good reads out on the internet about stability. It isn't all about weight, but rather also about length. It just so happens that the two are linked pretty closely since the longer the bullet the more it typically weighs.

Here is a good read that might help you.

What bullet weight can I shoot in my <1/9, 1/8> rifle?

Generally you need a faster twist for longer bullets (i.e. the 1:7). Typically AR's in the 1:7 through 1:9 rate will work for just about any normal commercial ammo a person is going to want to shoot through them.

Theox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    The answer is yes...and yes. There are some good reads out on the internet about stability. It isn't all about weight, but rather also about length. It just so happens that the two are linked pretty closely since the longer the bullet the more it typically weighs.

Here is a good read that might help you.

What bullet weight can I shoot in my <1/9, 1/8> rifle?

Generally you need a faster twist for longer bullets (i.e. the 1:7). Typically AR's in the 1:7 through 1:9 rate will work for just about any normal commercial ammo a person is going to want to shoot through them.

Damn... I had no idea there was so much to it... Maybe I need to do a bit more research on the subject. Maybe that's why my AR isn't shooting as accurately as I'd like it to. Thanks for the link!

Top Bottom