Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I remember being in a coffee shop when the 5.0 hit Evansville in 2002, thought a truck had hit the building. The 5.4 that hit in 2008 was centered in SE Illinois but was strong enough to wake me up and put a couple cracks in the plaster. I do not look forward to WHEN the Wabash Valley or New Mardrid faults let go.

I remember reading something a while back discussing the differences in geology between California and Indiana. In short, the depth of our fault lines and underlying geo structures means a 6.0 in SW Indiana will be significantly more destructive than a similar earthquake in Cali.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I remember being in a coffee shop when the 5.0 hit Evansville in 2002, thought a truck had hit the building. The 5.4 that hit in 2008 was centered in SE Illinois but was strong enough to wake me up and put a couple cracks in the plaster. I do not look forward to WHEN the Wabash Valley or New Mardrid faults let go.

I remember reading something a while back discussing the differences in geology between California and Indiana. In short, the depth of our fault lines and underlying geo structures means a 6.0 in SW Indiana will be significantly more destructive than a similar earthquake in Cali.

Not to mention we haven't engineered our buildings to withstand earthquakes as they have in California.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Not to mention we haven't engineered our buildings to withstand earthquakes as they have in California.

Yep, notice most of the damage you see from the recent quake are older masonry buildings. Liquifaction will also be significantly worse. A good part of Vanderburgh County, especially south and southeast Evansville, has fine white sand not far down in the ground. you can apparently still see evidence of sand blows from the 1812 quake in some fields. My office is on the 13th floor, I figure I will be able to just step out of my window to get out after the building settles.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Yep, notice most of the damage you see from the recent quake are older masonry buildings. Liquifaction will also be significantly worse. A good part of Vanderburgh County, especially south and southeast Evansville, has fine white sand not far down in the ground. you can apparently still see evidence of sand blows from the 1812 quake in some fields. My office is on the 13th floor, I figure I will be able to just step out of my window to get out after the building settles.

I thought when they make buildings, they just skip the 13th floor altogether. :dunno:

Top Bottom