• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    In another thread I mentioned that I had purchased a Laserlyte LT-PRO on eBay. The device comes with two sets of batteries, and each set is claimed to provide 3000 laser pulses. After nearly a week working with it, I wanted to relate some of my experiences and thoughts. First off a couple of things I'd like to mention. This is a training device, it's not "real" practice. It cannot and will not replace range time or an actual course of fire. Secondly, this is not a toy, not for laser tag or other grab assing and horseplay. Putting it in the muzzle of your gun does not make it a toy. As with any dry-fire training, remove all ammunition from the training environment. Firing anything with this lodged in the muzzle would likely have disastrous results. Finally, Laserlyte recommends you use snap caps and I would have to agree. In a ten minute session you can fire the thing enough to tire your hand.

This device is most at home in double actions, and would seem to be just about ideal for a revolver, as there is no change in the manual of arms for its use. With a single action or striker fired pistol you must charge the action or draw the hammer every shot. It isn't a serious pain, but limits the training you can do to first shot or general accuracy drills. One of my concerns with using a double action automatic is that it could possibly form the habit of "slapping the trigger," riding out the full travel of the trigger would be unnecessary in a normal course of fire, as the action will have changed to single. These limitations aren't very serious, and the positive aspects of the device outweigh them in my opinion. One of its weak points is also one of its strongest advantages; the laser washes out in bright light or sunlight, however the device is ideal for low light training.

Regardless of whether you are training point shooting, bullseye shooting or any other method, this device can be of use to you. Find a wall or area of your house where a negligent discharge would have the least impact and go to town. Just thoughtlessly praying and spraying with it can reveal some tendencies or habits you otherwise might not see. The laser isn't a "hit" so much as a flash, the pulse lasts one tenth of a second. This means that the product generally isn't a nice, stationary dot, but a line on the target. This line is the perfect way to diagnose and address issues with trigger control. Additionally, the arbor aligns the device with the bore, so it can be used as a crude boresighter when firing from a rest.

Firing in unfavorable light conditions is also a something easily done. Generally the lighting conditions in a home can be adjusted with the flick of a switch, so you can move from anything to no light, to harsh glare from lights to the side of you or your target. For safety's sake, let everyone in the house, or people you are expecting know what you are doing. If you live in a place with prying eyes, you might want to draw the shades too :rolleyes:

Other than the limitations I listed before, there are two complaints I have with the device itself, both minor. First, there is no power switch. You have to either remove the batteries, or place an insulating piece of plastic on top of them to break the circuit. The device will drain the batteries fairly quickly if left on. Secondly, the adjustable end of the arbor leaves something to be desired. As you push the device into the muzzle, it slides further down the taper on the device, making it much tighter, when in place it can become loose, causing a sloppy fit. It would be much nicer if there were either a jamb nut behind it to keep it in place, or a set of them for various calibers.

All in all, I am very happy with the LT-PRO. It has a few limitations, but the possibilities are only limited by your imagination. I think this a good product that has received far too little notice, and I don't feel like I wasted my money. With only the batteries that are included you have a reported 6000 rounds. Apart from the sheer cost of the ammo, the time involved in that training is also something that you can conserve. You don't have to pack up and drive to the range, just take a few precautions, slide the device into your pistol, and you're training in seconds at home as opposed to an hour or more in transit. This means you could very easily train every day if you liked, and then hit the range on the weekend to see your progress.

arma73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Morgan Co.
    I have seen this device several times and often wondered if someone had used it and how well it worked. Thanks very much for your review. I might think about picking this up after all.

DagerOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Secondly, the adjustable end of the arbor leaves something to be desired. As you push the device into the muzzle, it slides further down the taper on the device, making it much tighter, when in place it can become loose, causing a sloppy fit. It would be much nicer if there were either a jamb nut behind it to keep it in place, or a set of them for various calibers.

This is my biggest concern with this device. What's that adapter/arbor made out of? Is it something that will fatigue over time (I don't see that Laserlyte has replacements available on their website)?

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Will it work with snap caps in?

Absolutely. Laserlyte recommends you use them, and I have. It doesn't effect it at all. I have the A-Zoom ones.

This is my biggest concern with this device. What's that adapter/arbor made out of? Is it something that will fatigue over time (I don't see that Laserlyte has replacements available on their website)?

The adapter is made of plastic, it seems to be a softer more rubbery kind. I can't really see it wearing to the point of uselessness, it has a lot of room for adjustment. There is a small screw that goes through the center of it into the body of the laser. The way it slides up and down the taper, it would seem that the screw takes no stress at all. The only conceivable wear would be compression of the adapter, but you would have to be recklessly forceful with it for that to happen. By all reports, Laserlyte is a good company, like so many others in the firearms industry. I don't know about replacements, but I'd be surprised if they didn't offer them.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    A small drawback I've found is that the 377 batteries it uses are apparently uncommon. I tried to find them locally and couldn't get them for less than $2 each. It takes 3. I found them on Amazon for $2.75 for 5.

Top Bottom