• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    Anyone have tips or experience reloading for the 6.5x52 carcano?
    Factory ammo is insanely expensive for this rifle so going to start reloading, looking for tips or anything really.

At this point from what I have read the car can I uses a .267 bullet unlike most 6.5 that comes out to .264
    Again, anyone with experience doing this one would be awesome, especially if you have any load data

For d a 2die set by Lee going to be Picking that up soon hopefully.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Hornady is the only company I am aware of making the component bullets and they are .268". Keep an eye on Grafs for ammo, because they seem to be one of the more in the loop for old military cartridges. I just sold a couple Carcanos and not wanting to deal with an odd 6.5 bullet was a deciding factor. I have too many .264's and don't want to mix them up.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    My best tip would be to get a Swede or an Arisaka if you feel the need for a 6.5 war rifle.

Short of that, you better learn to cast.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I recently got into reloading 6.5 Carcano. I had no issues purchasing dies, bullets and brass. It seems to be more available than some other surplus calibers like 7.35 Carcano and 8x56R. I was also able to find PPU target ammunition without any major issues. Maybe i was looking at the right time.

Be advised that most of the Carcano rifles shoot very high. The Italians had some funky way of lining up their sights different than everyone else. There are probably lots of allied soldiers who survived the war because of this.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The Italian fixed sights were meant to be aimed at the chest, hit in the head at 100yds, chest at 200, stomach at 300. Unlike the Germans the Italians apparently didn't trust their troops to estimate distance accurately. When the Fins got the 7.35's Sako changed the sights for 100yd zero I think.

I have one of the 7.35s from Finland, got a few hundred rounds from Grafs a couple years ago. Good luck reloading the 6.5, they are not elegant but they are strong rifles.

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    Thanks Thor that is very interesting. Never knew that. I knew that their sights are different in how you line them up, didn't know that though.

I have about 100 rounds of brass currently. Was more wondering about bullet size (.264 vs .267) and powder loads for it. Haven't been able to find any loads in any of my books I have.
    At this point, I am very happy with my carcano, not sure of what model it is but it feels really good and is a fairly light gun. Would make a good hunting rifle.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I would be happy to share some load data with you. I am traveling this week but will be back home Friday night.

How about a picture of your Carcano?

Here is a link to some load data. Mostly IMR powders. The data is for the .264 bullets so back it down a little for. 267 or .268. Use at your own risk etc..

Carcano Loading Data

Last edited:
    Top Bottom