• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have a new PSA PA10 in 6.5CR and do not intend to "break it in". I'll let you know how she does soon.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    :popcorn: for I may dip my toe into the 6.5CM waters...

My Ruger Precision in 6.5 CM, with a properly broken in factory barrel, velocity node testing, shoots 1/2 MOA all day at 200 yards, has grouped 10” at 1000 yards with wind and hit a 14” plate at a mile. If I do the “shoot 5x 3-shot groups and tell people about the best one” thing some do here, it mostly shoots 1/4 MOA. I recommend the 6.5CM.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I put 5 rounds through mine after the Revere's Riders mil-surp shoot today. I think PSA did a good job with this gun. I only had a 1-4x scope to slap on it but I was in the 1" square at 25 yards in just a few shots. More a function test, no time to take it out to 200. Functioned, fired, ejected just fine.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have a new PSA PA10 in 6.5CR and do not intend to "break it in". I'll let you know how she does soon.

I'm absolutely interested in hearing about this. I have a PA10 complete lower just waiting for an upper. Part of me says get the 308 upper and part says go for accuracy with the 6.5cm. I'd love to get a better review of the accuracy they're capable of than what's out there on the PSA reviews.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It'll be a couple of weeks before I can try it at distance.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Distance is one thing, but I'd like to see how it shoots at 100 yards just to get a gauge for it's level of accuracy.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    For what its worth, I do not do barrel breaking. I do shoot at least 50 rounds through the gun before getting serious about load development.
    Yeah, this. So much this.

There's no "breaking in" a gilding metal jacket is going to do to a hard 4150 or 416SS barrel.

What a lot of people think of a "break in" is really just "seasoning"-- like getting your cast iron skillet to be nice and non-stick.

The whole shoot-clean-shoot-clean nonsense is one of those persistent gun guy "bro wisdom" myths. Like learning nutrition info from the muscle head at the gym.

You want to season a barrel? Shoot it. Shoot it more. Clean it once you see a big change in accuracy.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Update.

I ended up emailing Criterion, and their customer service has made me a loyal customer. I told them that I purchased their barrel, and I was having accuracy issues, but I was pretty certain the barrel wasn't the issue. I asked what I should try. Their response was amazing - send your upper to us and we'll figure it out. So, they sent me a label, covered shipping, looked it over, made some suggestions, test fired it, and shipped it back free of charge.

tBiID9I.jpg

Improper headspace was the biggest problem, so I went with their suggestion and bought a high pressure bolt from Jp enterprise. They also suggested a different handguard as well as buffer weight.

Hopefully, I can get out this week to throw some more rounds through it.

Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Enjoying :popcorn: waiting for Rookies update...

We have a similar set up as HOP but with Burris glass & LaRue MBT. Ordering dies this week...

EDIT: Forgot to ask... what did they 'test fire' it with? Did you send some ammo to use or did they use their house loads or factory?

Thanks.

Last edited:

EGParatrooper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Custom build;
    Mega Arms Monolithic receiver
    Christensen Arms 20" carbon fiber barrel
    APA "Lil' Bastard" muzzle brake
    Harris bipod
    Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56mm scope

Fun gun!

EGParatrooper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    I'm starting to handload. 41.7gr Hodgdon 4350 with Hornady 140 ELD-M bullets, matches the factory load pretty well.

Top Bottom