• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Well finally getting my last few parts to get my first actual build done. Been into longer rangel precision shooting for the last few years and have been progressing as well as my rifle. I've been shooting a factory barreled Remington 700 sps varmint in .308. While it has been a great shooting g rifle I would like to start focusing on stretching it out and decided now is as good of time as any to finally do the build I have been wanting to do for some time now.

This was essentially my starting point

After many changes and throughout my learning experiences is was led to here

At that point it was a solid 1/2 to 3/4 moa rifle with my loads using varget and 168 amax.

Here is the final build specs:
    Rem 700 action
    Bartlein 8 twist rem varmint contour finished at 26"
    PTG lug
    APA LB gen2 brake
    Timney 510 trigger
    EGW bolt know
    EGW hd 20 moa base
    Seekins rings
    Vortex razor HD Gen 1 5-20
    Mcree G5 folder chassis
    Ergo tactical deluxe grip
    Harris s-bipod

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Barrel showed up yesterday. Brake should be here tomorrow and lug on Monday. After that it will be headed to be put together.

And had to at least put the factory barreled action into the McRee.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Well I picked up the rifle yesterday. Very pleased with the work but have not shot it yet. Will be loading up some rounds to "break the barrel in" and get some copper fouling then will start working up a load. Hope to get this out next week when temps get back up around 40.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Well I only have a small update. I believe I've got a load worked up but may still play with seating depth some. Once I'm completely satisfied I'll get some rounds loaded up and verify zero and get some groups. So far this things shoots great and had less felt recoil than my 16 inch AR, I'm sold on this cartridge.

Some pics from the last range trip.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Well a couple updates, this thing is a dang laser and simply a joy to shoot. Load development has been done, settled on 42.6 gr H4350, CCI 200 primer, hornady brass, 142 smk, set .010 off the lands. According to my magnetospeed speed I am getting 2795 fps with a SD of 5.8 and ES at 14 so all is good there. Had a chance yesterday to shoot out to 1000 yards and found out the magnetospeed was reading a little slow. According to my AB app and the drops at 600 and 1k I'm getting 2825 fps.

Unfortunately the only pic I got was my buddy shooting my rifle but he did get a video of me taking a shot at 1k

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC1bBQJM7I9/

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Awesome rifle and a very familiar load recipe.

When my Creed was 26", my load was a 140gr HPBT over 42.5gr H4350, Hornady brass and CCI-200 and the MagV2 showed 2823, verified by dope. Did load workup again after chopping it back to 18" and settled on the exact same load, which goes 2640 per MagV2 and dope.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Awesome rifle and a very familiar load recipe.

When my Creed was 26", my load was a 140gr HPBT over 42.5gr H4350, Hornady brass and CCI-200 and the MagV2 showed 2823, verified by dope. Did load workup again after chopping it back to 18" and settled on the exact same load, which goes 2640 per MagV2 and dope.

Thanks. Yeah your load data seems pretty spot on.

That's one slick rig dhamby! I'm so ready to start a 6.5CM build, but cant stop buying AR stuff long enough to start it :(
    Thank you. You know you could always build a large frame AR in 6.5 cm. Lol

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    That thing looks freaking sweet. I hope one day to get into that round. That magnetospeed setup looks pretty sweet too... I'm just setting up a reloader (it was my winter project that never happened) and that looks like it'd be pretty helpful.

kylew765

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    I love my 6.5 its not as fancy as your just a ruger preditor just order the MDT stock but it shoot 1/4 moa at 100 with 100gr amax and cfe223 powder.

Top Bottom