• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Actually, I don't think it does - I'm thinking of buying one. I just figured that title would bring the proponents out quick.

I have too many questions to put down in one post. Basically I'm curious about whether Alexander Arms is the only way to go, the accuracy of chromed barrels, reloading difficulties, the expected survival of the cartridge, all things grendel.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    6.5 Grendel Fan Site :: For the 6.5 Grendel Aficionado

I love mine. If you have the coin and the patience, a Satern barrel is the way to go.

DSC02590.jpg

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I had Baer build me one, great for Mulies to Coyotes out west, and reload using Bergers. It's got quite a following, brass is holding up to reloads better than i thought, and does not seem to be a problems buying it when i need. I load 140 gr and 100 gr, nice caliber.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Does someone need a time-out? :D

You've been shooting the 6.5 longer than any of us here, I believe.

How many reloads are you getting from your brass?

While I am not melensdad I can answer one of the questions for ya. As for how many reloads he is getting out of the brass. Right now the answer is none I believe.....As far as I know he isn't reloading any right now.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    How many reloads are you getting from your brass?

I've got Lapua/AA 6.5 Grendel brass that was fired 4-5 times before being transformed into 358 Gremlin brass....and its been fired 10-12 times since being necked up.

Regular annealing every 5-8 firings keep things in order, the necks start getting a little "squeaky" - then you know it is time.

Of course, if you think you're shooting a 260 Remington - brass life is going to be considerably shorter.

Realize the cartridge(s) limitations, as few as they may be compared to the 6.8 SPC.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    While I am not melensdad I can answer one of the questions for ya. As for how many reloads he is getting out of the brass. Right now the answer is none I believe.....As far as I know he isn't reloading any right now.

Greg is correct, he's shot one of my 6.5 Grendel rifles. I am currently NOT reloading the brass. Due to a family issue that required that we take in a relative and provide some housing, I've lost my reloading room.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Realize the cartridge(s) limitations, as few as they may be compared to the 6.8 SPC.
    Yes, its sad that we can't use the short-fat-low ballistic coefficient bullets that are available for the vastly superior 6.8. Its a shame that 6.5 bullets, with their high BCs will travel at supersonic speeds out past 1000 yards. Oh I could go on, but its so depressing. . . :(

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    melensdad ill be the better man here and offer my reloading den.......per you give me a 6.5 upper......... Im going to start my 6.5 build next year sometime around spring... I was gonna use another T1 lower....the fitment on those lowers is WONDERFUL

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Les Baer builds a tack driver that is almost boring to shoot due to the accuracy and I also have a JP Enterprises CTR-02 with a suppressor on it that is just plain wicked. I love this round.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    John Galt, I REALLY like the term "dormant Marine". That is the best way that I have ever heard to decribe an inactive Marine. "Former", "Ex" and others just don't do it.

I was never a Marine, but some of my best shooting buddies are dormant Marines. I was Regular Army...

Sorry to hijack, but I just had to say it.

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Besides the other options listed, J&T Distributing offers a 6.5 Grendel. So there are other options available. I bought one of J&T Distributing uppers because they had one in stock and I didn't want to wait for months for one. It has a 20" CM E.R. Shaw barrel with a 1 in 9 twist. It shoots very well with several different bullets. The barrel is not chrome lined, if it was I wouldn't have bought it.

The 6.5 Grendel gets a lot done for the powder used. I have tested the Grendel out to 1000 yards using the Sierra 107 gr. MatchKing on top of 28.0 gr. of Benchmark for 2700 fps. It gives very repeatable accuracy at that distance. It will hold 1 MOA or less at 1K if I do my part. I have taken coyotes with it using the Speer 90 gr. TNT with 29.9 gr. of Benchmark for 2814 fps avg. They go down and stay there. I have a load developed using 29.1 gr. of Benchmark behind the Nosler 100 gr. Ballistic Tip that is giving 2710 fps. I will use that load in Alabama for deer and hogs this winter. All the loads listed shoot in .4's to .5's very consistently in my rifle with no pressure signs.

I use both Lapua and Hornady brass with equal results. I was surprised that Hornady brass was as good as it is. I am not saying it is of the same quality as the Lapua, but it is pretty darn good brass and not quite as pricey.

I have not ran into anything that makes the Grendel hard, or tricky to load for. Just follow the loads listed and pay attention to your OAL and don't go longer than those listed in the AA or Hodgdon load data and you should be fine.

I hope this helps some. It really is a good cartridge. As far as the 6.8 SPC vs. 6.5 Grendel debate goes.......Well I bought the Grendel and wouldn't change my mind then or now.

PaPa 260

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    As far as the 6.8 SPC vs. 6.5 Grendel debate goes.......Well I bought the Grendel and wouldn't change my mind then or now.

PaPa 260

The 6.8 Special Purpose Cartridge has "special" in its name. The 38 Special also has Special in its name and its not a particularly effective round. The special education program is for "special" children. K-Mart has Blue Light Specials that are really special. "Special K" cereal is for fat chicks. "Special brownies" are now legal in California but can get you put in jail in most states. The "Kobe Special" is an expensive gift you give your wife after you have an affair in hopes that she won't take half your stuff. The "special" Olympics are for kids who are "special" in some way. McDonald's has "special sauce" on the BigMac that is sort of white and slimy.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    From what I have read, the 6.5 holds more energy past 600 yards, compared to the .308. If I had the funds, I would love to have one in a bolt action.

Top Bottom