• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    The Grendel is far a superior round than the limp, overrated 6.8 there's a ballistic chart posted somewhere on ingo. If I remember the Grendel seems more comparable to the .308. IMHO go Grendel save yourself the trouble.

awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    I believe both of them are being looked at by the US Military, now my main concerns are going to be the availability of ammunition for the 6.5. Although if the Military decides to begin using one or the other, that wouldnt be an issue.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The Grendel rocks! This round will only to continue to grow in popularity once its benefits are fully realized and accepted, it will be the new round of the future.

awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    Does anybody make or have a grendel in a bolt gun?
    the only thing i have seen available on the market is the AR uppers
    And from what i understand about the AR uppers is you can use a standard .223 receiver? Is that correct?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've owned 3 different 6.5 Grendel based AR15s and 1 6.8 SPC AR15. Currently I still own 2 different Grendels and ZERO 6.8 SPCs.

The 6.8 SPC is nothing short of disappointing and full of hype that can't deliver. The ballistic coefficient of the 115 grain 6.8 bullet is worse than a 1982 Volvo station wagon and is akin to tossing a brick through the air and expecting it to fly. Not gonna happen.

The 6.5 Grendel, with a 120 grain bullet will deliver the same energy at nearly TWICE the distance as the 115 grain 6.8 bullet.

With Wolf offering a couple different 6.5 Grendel loadings I've been able to get factory ammo for as low as 50-cents a shot and it delivers acceptable accuracy.

Below is an outtake directly from a Stag Arms brochure, it is nothing short of deception and facts prove it to be wrong:
    Picture2.png

And here is a ballistics table that proves the claims about the 6.8 to be wrong:
    ballistics.jpg

More proof of 6.5 superiority:
    Picture3-1.png

And more:
    Picture2-1.png

And at 200 yards here is a .45 MOA grouping shot at the Winamac range with one of my current 6.5 Grendel rifles (7/8ths of an Inch at 200 yards)
    13-2.jpg

Last edited:

jselke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    thanks for the info melensdad and what do u think would be more accurate a bolt gun or an ar platform in the grendel

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What kind of upper do you have for your grendel

The one that shot that group is a custom built heavy barrel long range type upper.

I also have a 19" barreled semi-customer Sabre Defense upper on my other Grendel. I owned, but sold, an Alexander Arms upper. The only reason I sold the AA upper was because it was very similar to the custom upper I have and didn't shoot any better.

P1000072.jpg

awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    That is a mighty fine looking gun you have there!
    I am totally jealous and sold now!
    Im going to have my local gunsmith make an upper ASAP!
    Did you just use a standard .223/5.56 receiver or do you have one for the 6.5?
    I am curious as to how many people have experience with this round and how much it is going to grow to become as popular as the .223!

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Melensdad- Do any of your 6.5 rifles have a 16 inch or under barrel length? If so how does it perform? I've researched the 6.5 grendel, and it sounds like a great cartridge, I just need to learn to reload.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Melensdad- Do any of your 6.5 rifles have a 16 inch or under barrel length? If so how does it perform? I've researched the 6.5 grendel, and it sounds like a great cartridge, I just need to learn to reload.

My yellow Grendel has a 19" barrel, which is the shortest barrel I own in that cartridge. The Grendel picks up velocity with barrel length and while it still puts out a whole lot more energy than the 5.56 out of a short barrel that is not what I personally wanted. I'd think a 16" barrel Grendel would be a great pig gun out to about 300 yards, but out of a 19" barrel it probably is a great pig gun to 400 yards. Me, I don't shoot that far (yet) but when I started playing with the Grendel cartridge it was because I really want to try to push out to 600 yards and beyond.

As for reloading, no you don't need to reload. Wolf offers a 120 grain MTP round that can be had for about 75 cents a shot and it delivers pretty darn good accuracy. Their 123grain jacketed soft point would be suitable for deer size game and is accurate enough for hunting, its probably a 2 MOA round and I've gotten that for 50 to 60 cents a shot (depending on the deal, quantity ordered, etc).

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Nope

grendel the 6.8 is nothing more than an american version of the 7.62x39

Not true at all sir. The Grendal ammo is a much better round. You'd be hard pressed to get any accuracy on a 7.62x39 after 300 yards. Grendal 6.8 can shoot 1000m with descent accuracy.

HogDaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    s indy
    I have never seen a 6.5 bolt gun, but would be interested in knowing if one is made. Is there a special reason you want to go with a bolt vs the AR platform? I believe some custom shop could make a 6.5 bolt gun for you but the money factor might not be pretty.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I did some research a couple years ago and everything pointed to the Grendel being better. I heard that the short comings of the 6.8 had been addressed by twist rate and tweaking loadings. You guys are saying the 6.8 is still a Volvo?

I ended up going with a .458 SOCOM as I don't have anywhere to shoot >100 yards with a 6.x. I'd still like to build one some day. I'm just waiting to see if one of them wins out over the other.

I'm still rooting for the mythical monster. ;)

Top Bottom