• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I have no first-hand experience with either, but from what I've read 6.5 is by far the better choice for long range. But ultimately that depends on what you mean by "distance shooting". How far are we talking?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I had a chance to fire a Krebs custom AK chambered in 6.5 grendel and I was amazed by it's accuracy using wolf gold.

Between the two, personally I'd go for 6.5, I prefer it's ballistics overall.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I thought I could page melensdad to come school you, but he beat me here. That being said, can't wait to finish my 6.5 that is waiting for a bolt/barrel. Should be a shooter for sure!

JeremyC

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Carmel
    Thanks for all the info fellas. Appreciate it. Looking like I'm going to go with the 6.5 Grendel. Any ideas where to start looking for some parts have a lower and all that goodness just needing the upper half, barrel, BCG. Seems like everyone is completely out of parts right now.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Thanks for all the info fellas. Appreciate it. Looking like I'm going to go with the 6.5 Grendel. Any ideas where to start looking for some parts have a lower and all that goodness just needing the upper half, barrel, BCG. Seems like everyone is completely out of parts right now.

Well now that the Senate defeated the anti-gun bills my guess is that the market may begin to return to some level of normal. Give it a little bit of time and we may begin to see some increases in parts inventories.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Id go with 6.5 grendel anyday I love mine. Ammo is starting to come back and at the same price it was before everyone went bananas if you dont reload

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not to hate the 6.8 or .277 bullets but they are also not as popular to use and thus there has not been as much devlopement with those bullets for long range
    Even if there were good long range 6.8/.277 bullets they would be too long to fit into the AR15's short magazine. The current 6.8SPC loads pretty much maximize the OAL that is possible to use in the magazines and so even a modest improvement in the Ballistic Coefficient would require a longer/heavier bullet and that can't fit into the 6.8 case and feed through the AR magazines ... unless you seat the bullet back into the case, at which point you lose powder capacity so now you have the worst of all worlds, a heavy bullet with less powder to push it.

6.8SPC loads have been pumped up in pressure, sometime to dangerous levels, in an effort to get the round to perform. But the reality is that its hard to take a bullet, which has the ballistics of a 1979 Volvo sedan, and get to to perform at medium to long ranges.

Other options are solid copper rounds that are lathe turned, and very expensive, they are lighter weight and can be made with somewhat better ballistics, but it all comes at a high price.

One other factor to consider is simply the cost to shoot these guns. 6.5 Grendel ammo can be had for about 60-cents a shot when the Wolf ammo is on sale, or 75-cents normally. Premium 6.5 Grendel ammo runs about a buck a pop. The plinking 6.8 rounds are about a dollar a shot, premium closer to a $1.20.

Top Bottom